Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
On other vehicles I have run Pirellis and Michelins -- both excellent, I have also heard good things about the blizzaks - I would go with any of these brands

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been through many snow tires on my cars through the years and I've found that Blizzaks are highly overrated and overpriced. The best set I've ever had was a set of Yoko Snow 17's on my old Mitsubishi Evo 9. They stuck like glue. I got an Evo X and the Blizzak 18's were my only option at the time. I was incredibly underwhelmed with their performance and lifespan. I now have a set of Yoko W-drives on the Evo X and they not only outperform the Bliz but they are much better on dry highway and their treadwear is substantially less. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm running Pirelli Scorption Ice/Snow, and there is not much that I have not been able to plow through yet this winter. I was looking at the Nokian's, but they are changing the Hakka R's into Hakka R2's next year which makes availability an issue (especially for the 19"). Vredenstein (spelling?) also get great reviews, but they are hard to find and very expensive. I've had a bad experience with Michelin's winter tire, and Blizzak's are overrated. The reason that I bring up availability as an important factor is that (without buying an extra tire to sit in your garage) if you slice one open while driving, you can be waiting for over a month if your size is on back order. Around here, my dealer and a local tire shop verified that they have no problem getting this particular Pirelli in my size... and, since the reviews were good, I pulled the trigger on them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my past two Evoque-sized vehicles. Great all-season tyre and surprisingly good on ice and snow given that they ARE all-season and not winter-specific. Good grip in the wet. Good grip in the dry and not too noisy. They don't wear too quickly either unlike dedicated winter tyres which are noisy AND wear quick once you start running them on dry roads.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Evocurious: What did you settle on for winter tires? I also live in Minneapolis and am thinking of getting Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires on 17" rims, maybe from Tire Rack. My shiny new Evoque just showed up last week with summer tires on it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK LM-32 FIRST DRIVING IMPRESSIONS ON MY EVOQUE

Okay, I thought it would be good to put up some "hopefully" helpful feedback on choosing winter tires for your Evoque. But first, let me offer a couple "editorial" comments for your reading pleasure.

1. Let's be honest, we're Rover owners and seeing what a tire will "look" like on our Rover does has some value, Otherwise we'd drive a Ford Escape. (see pics below)

2. Evoque owners shouldn't let other Evoque owners stay stuck in denial about Conti UHPs being "all season tires" or trust them in potentially dangerous winter driving scenarios. They're not all season tires. Period. They suck in snow by my account. There, I've said my peace and maybe saved someones life.

First Impressions:
I drove these tires across four mountain passes (Vail and Loveland +2) on a trip to/from Denver to Glenwood Springs in snow with some snow pack on mostly wet roads and the temps hovering at/below the freezing mark.

The Blizzak LM-32 tires are night and day stopping compared to the Contis and I can tell no difference between them and the Michelin Primacy Alpin 3 (PA3) tires installed on our Jetta. No surprise here. All good.

Launching from a 25-30 degree slope with 3 inches of fresh snow on top of several inches of snow pack was effortless. Read "no wheel spin". Ridiculously good traction.

At speed, these tires were ridiculously tight and totally confidence inspiring, maybe too much. My Contis had about 5-7/32 tread remaining and the new Blizzaks are much more quieter and smoother. Not a big surprise either.

Things that did surprise me were the gas mileage averaged around 22.5 mpg going 75-85mpg on wet/snowpack roads running a winter gas blend and the total transformation of the vehicle to almost snow-cat-like traction at speed and through high-speed turns was AWESOME!

Finally, I chose these tires over the Blizzak LM-60 model because our Denver winters are mostly dry (seriously) with a few bouts of snow and I wanted to have the dry pavement performance of the Contis, but in the cold. Had I been spending most of my winter on snow pack, I would have went with the LM-60s.

Long-term mileage remains to be seen. Hopefully these suckers will last 2-3 winters here in Colorado.

I also couldn't justify sliding off the road or hitting someone because my tires suck in the snow and cold conditions (see first comment). So, getting snow tires had to be done.

Hopefully this helps you in your quest for the perfect winter tire for your Evoque and maybe makes you even smile a bit.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

All the best,
Bryan
2012 Evoque Dynamic Coo-Pay (w/adaptive suspension)

Previous Rover's Owned:
94 D90
97 D90
04 Discovery
05 Range Rover
11 LR4

blizzak-lm32-evoque-5.jpg
blizzak-lm32-evoque-4.jpg blizzak-lm32-evoque-3.jpg

blizzak-lm32-evoque-1.jpg blizzak-lm32-evoque-2.jpg

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Evocurious: What did you settle on for winter tires? I also live in Minneapolis and am thinking of getting Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires on 17" rims, maybe from Tire Rack. My shiny new Evoque just showed up last week with summer tires on it!
I went with the Blizzaks. Love them. I always miss a snowfall in mid-autumn here in Minneapolis before I get the winters put on, and I can tell an amazing difference in them. This Thanksgiving I was the only one at my 5-day family gathering who had any traction after a 10-inch snowfall. I ended up shuttling people around all weekend. They couldn't move, meanwhile I could barely tell there was snow. It was so much fun. This was with ~10,000 miles of tread wear on these treads.

I love the performance on dry pavement, too. While this has been a snowy start to the winter, the cold/ice in MPLS has been ridiculous. These tires really do great.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
58 Posts
BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK LM-32 FIRST DRIVING IMPRESSIONS ON MY EVOQUE

2. Evoque owners shouldn't let other Evoque owners stay stuck in denial about Conti UHPs being "all season tires" or trust them in potentially dangerous winter driving scenarios. They're not all season tires. Period. They suck in snow by my account. There, I've said my peace and maybe saved someones life.
That's an understatement. The Conti UHP is pretty good in the dry but it is lethal once the roads are cold. They're like driving on warm butter. A lot of people still live with the idea that all-season tyres are good in the winter. They're really not - they're three-season tyres at best. The rubber loses all flexibility below 7C / 45F and once you get into ice or snow, "useless" just doesn't describe them. If you're happy driving around on rigid hockey pucks with no grip in cold weather, go right ahead. But once you put winter tyres on for one season, you'll never go back.
I switched out for Blizzaks this year (again). Love them. We don't get particularly bad snow/ice days in Salt Lake City but I'm up to 11 days this year where I've been glad of them - days when I've been out before the plows, or after ice storms etc. On the non snow and ice days, they're so much more confidence-inspiring on the cold roads. We've been well below freezing overnight and in the day since the third week in November. This week is the first time the temps have finally gone above freezing (but it's not going to last).
My Blizzaks did save me from a crash on I-15 in one snow storm. I spotted a guy in the outside lane who'd started to fishtail and when he finally lost it, he was aimed across all the lanes of traffic. I was able to steer and brake enough that he went across in front of me and collected the car to my right. Had I been on the all-season tyres, he'd have taken me out instead. And THAT's the point of winter tyres. Yes they're better at accelerating, but it's when you come to steering and braking that they come into their own. The only down-side is that you have to be a lot more aware of what's going on behind you, because there's a good chance you can stop much more efficiently than the next person in the line now....
I've used the Blizzaks on a icy, wet muddy trails, sand and dirt (all in the winter) as well as on the road and given that they're not dedicated off-road tyres, they're pretty amazing all-round.
I think this video is probably a good illustration of why you should just say 'yes' to winter tyres, especially if you have ANY chance of ice or snow where you live:

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you say Blizzak...

...please let us us know which Blizzak model you're referring. Bridgestone makes several versions of the popular brand and your specific choice helps us better understand your opinionThanks!Bryan

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts