Evoque Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm a new Evoque owner (2016) and I'm getting some black platter out of my tailpipes that showing up on my garage floor. I asked the dealership about it and they said it's normal for a European car. I've owned Mercedes, BMW and Audi, and I've seen "dust" before, but never have I had actual spatter on the floor. Is this normal for the Evoque? Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks for whatever input you can provide!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
"Normal for a European car"? Well, considering the engine is made by Ford... your dealer is a moron. You usually get what you're describing when your mixture is too rich, sometimes even to the point of unburned gasoline getting into the exhaust. Could check your dipstick, see if it smells of gas. Could check your plugs to see if they're real sooty. But tell your dealer to check that the car is runing rich.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get black soot on / in the tail pipes all the time. Asked the dealer and they said it was normal. Not to me. Also, my engine was made in Spain.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Every vehicle known to man gets condensation as hot exhaust gases hit cold metal. Its science! 100% normal. Nothing to do with European, made in Spain etc... Your tractor does it too. I watched my exhaust this AM as I was putting stuff in back as car was in a 60 degree garage but it was a nice 25 outside. Guess what ....TADTS Don't want it buy a Tesla.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sort of... but it shouldn't heap up as black goo like the freaking La Brea Tar Pits. Normal condensation should burn off in a few minutes with a tiny bit of moisture dripping on the ground. If it's leaving a mess, I'd check it. It should be more like soot than a blob.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Exactly , its thin wet black water. It is caused as that initial shot of moisture laden water gets pushed out of engine/exhaust and runs along piping, muffler etc. Start and watch someday, usually its over in a minute unless car is outside in subfreezing temps and it takes a while for exhaust system to heat up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think it's as simple as "every vehicle known to man" does it. Between my wife and I, we've owned 20 cars over the past 25 years and I've never had splatter like this on my garage floor. But thanks for the insulting comment though. Everyone else, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nearly forty cars over forty years and none have been this bad. Climate, relative temperature, humidity or vehicle age, including 60s beasts, it doesn't matter. This new car is the worst.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Internal combustion engine. Must be that made in Spain thing. Dirty British vehicle. Must be in cahoots with VW
I'll let the scientists explain why its more prevalent than in the pasy. Cats lighting off quick, greater flow thru system, etc. TURBOS do this more in my experience, compressed air squeezes out more moisture. Put a diaper on the car. It is a baby RR.

·
Registered
518 Posts
No splatter, but when cleaning the chrome tips there's a good bit of black on the edges to wipe off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's because our evoque's are running too rich ! I complained to the dealer but they didn't care, as long as the computer has no error codes they can't do anything about it :( At least the rich behavior is good for turbo life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts