Evoque Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Iam new in this forum. Thanks for welcoming me.I have an Evoque 2011 , 2L turbo petrol. My question is what happens if the brake light switch is not working? Will the engine turn? Will the gear selector raise?I understand that the brake is linked to the gear selector and the push button.In other automatic vehicles there is a manual switch just below the gear lever which you can use in such case.Does the Evoque has one?If not should the car be towed on how many wheels.Thanks in advace if somebody could clarify this issue for me.

·
Super Moderator
590 Posts
Fredo, Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't think the brake light switch would affect the engine starting. If you really need to tow the Evoque,
and the engine won't start, you can select neutral as follows.
1. Turn on ignition, without foot on brake pedal.
2. Press and hold the foot brake on.
3. Pull the + transmission shift paddle, and hold for at least 15 seconds.
4. Gear selector will rise and you can select neutral.

NOTE: The above works on Evoques thru the 2013 model year.

Manually release the Electronic Parking Brake by leaving ignition on, pressing foot brake and push down on the EPB switch.

The Evoque is 4 wheel drive and should never be towed with the wheels on the ground. You need to have it put on a rollback type tow truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Rsquare.agree with you about towing on a rollback type tow truck specially when neutral gear can't be selected.But i still would think that if the stoplight switch is dead , neither the stop/start button nor the gear selector will work. I believe that the said switch has wires for the stop lamps as well as wires going to start button and gear selector. this is why you are asked to press the pedal for starting and gear selection.I dont know if i am mistaken, would be good to have the advice of an autoelectric from the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Rsquare.agree with you about towing on a rollback type tow truck specially when neutral gear can't be selected.But i still would think that if the stoplight switch is dead , neither the stop/start button nor the gear selector will work. I believe that the said switch has wires for the stop lamps as well as wires going to start button and gear selector. this is why you are asked to press the pedal for starting and gear selection.I dont know if i am mistaken, would be good to have the advice of an autoelectric from the forum.
HI.I had a talk today to my former mechanic(not LR).He confirmed what ive said.He said that in such case most of the vehicles(eg BMW X5) have a manual knob somewhere by means of which the gear can be put in neutral and the handbrake released.Unfortunately for Evoque he doesnt know.All the difference is that the gear selectorin evoque is electrically raised. So Guys, i will arm myself with a spare switch costing about 10 dollars kept in glove compartiment. Normally it should be easily changed. It plugs like a bayonet lamp. This may avoid looking for towing and great expenses at the LR garage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My gear selector won’t raise. 2013 evoque. Car starts but gear never pops up. Anything I can learn here before I take to dealer. It’s parked in my garage for now. I tried resetting by taking The negative battery cable off and pressing the start button and putting back on, but that didn’t work. What should I try next? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
590 Posts
Per the owner's manual, the gear selector should still turn, and allow you to select a gear, even if it doesn't raise. You don't have anything to lose by giving it a try. May allow you to at least drive the vehicle.

If the rotary gear selector fails to elevate and there is no obstruction, a fault in the
system is indicated. The gear selector can still be used in the lowered position but be aware, that it will not automatically
select P when the engine is switched off.
Therefore, P should be selected manually.
The fault should be rectified by a Retailer/ Authorised Repairer at the earliest opportunity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts