Evoque Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Check engine light came on in the Evo while driving home. No other symptoms. Brought it into the dealer who diagnosed it as a bad catalytic converter. Waiting for parts for the past week or so. Should be ready today or tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see what they think caused it to go bad. About 15,000 miles on the Evo.

·
Registered
518 Posts
That's just ridiculous for the catalytic converter to fail so soon...if that really is what's wrong. :confused:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought so too.... I've read about 02 sensors causing cats to go bad. Perhaps a failure of another part lead to this. We'll see.......

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the Evo back. Service Writer had no idea why the Cat would have gone bad. Not unusual, I haven't been overly impressed with this dealer. Unfortunately, it's only about 1/2 mile from my office so it's very convenient. Although after looking underneath the car tonight to check out the new Cat, I may try the other dealer in town.

Tech left off the exhaust hanger........ :face palm: I put it back on.

·
Registered
518 Posts
No quality control. With a dealer like this you need to make them show you their work before you leave.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
569 Posts
I think if this were my vehicle, I would drop a note, or speak to, the "Service Manager", NOT the service advisor, and let them know how you got your car back.
Not acceptable at all!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They didn't have anything to say of any worth. Basically said they don't know why it went bad. Don't really feel like pushing the issue at this point.

·
Registered
518 Posts
They didn't have anything to say of any worth. Basically said they don't know why it went bad. Don't really feel like pushing the issue at this point.
AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Catalytic Converter Problems

"The most common failure is the converter losing efficiency. When this occurs, the check engine light will come on. The power control module or PCM checks efficiency of the catalytic converter as we drive. A sensor submits a reading of oxygen content in the exhaust, before and after the catalytic converter."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts