Evoque Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished changing out the brake pads on my wife’s Evoque last week. I’ve been meaning to write this post in the hopes my experiences may help others out when dealing with first generation Rover Evoques (2011-2018). By all accounts changing brake pads should be fairly straightforward, as I’ve done them on my past vehicles Porsche, BMW, Mini, Lexus, Audi, and never encountered anything as frustrating as this.

I completed the front brakes on the Evoque without difficulty as it was pretty similar to all my past vehicles. You need a #7 allen socket bit/key to remove a bolt under a rubber cap. You need a flat head screw driver to remove a metal retaining clip. Lastly to make to fit the calipers over the new brake pads, you should definitely get brake spreaders as it makes life easier.

I naturally assumed the rear brakes would be similar. In fact, you don’t even need to take off all of the rear caliper, you simply take off the bottom bolt, and swing the caliper up to replace the brake pads. Easy right … WRONG! I couldn’t get the calipers to spread even with the brake spreaders. Rather than look to online resources, I continued to troubleshoot the problem. Big mistake, I turned car on and off – and in the process made the situation even worse – as the caliper piston pushed out even further. I soon discovered, the Electronic Parking Brake engages at shut down, which push out the piston as far as it can. With the caliper not being installed, there was no resistance, so it just kept pushing out.

This also happened to an Evoque owner Victor – who provided lots of valuable information. However, it sounded like he ended up buying a new caliper.

rear brake

My situation however was even worse, as the piston rubber seal ripped, so the brake fluid leaked out. I called my local Rover dealer, and they told me they didn’t sell the part – and the only option was to buy a new caliper for $700 CDN. No local auto parts or Canadian web store had the part. Fortunately, I was able to find it from Rockauto.com (Centric 14322008 Rear Caliper Repair Kit $6.34 CDN). I ordered a couple just in case, and it was shipped to me in Canada 3 days from the US. Big thumbs up for their vast inventory of parts and quick delivery!
2012 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER EVOQUE 2.0L L4 Turbocharged Caliper Repair Kit | RockAuto

I popped the piston off, and I was able to observe how the caliper was assembled. I observed the Electronic Parking Brake rod – which was preventing the piston from going back in. It should be noted, the Electronic Brake Fitting is controlled by a threaded rod connected to a motor. The fitting needs to be screwed down clockwise, so it is installed as deep into the caliper as possible. The Electronic Brake Fitting seats perfectly into the piston about one quarter of the way in. Assembly is captured below for reference (TRW Electric Parking Brake EPB - KPS Automotive Parts).

Long story short – get your vehicle in Brake Service Mode (if you can) before attempting to replace your rear brake pads. I’ve included the proper guides provided by others at the bottom of my post.

If you made the same mistakes as me, here are the steps to get you back on track (goto Part 2 and 3 if you do not need to reinstall the rubber seal).

Part 1 – Replace Rubber Seal For Caliper
  • Open up the brake fuel bleeder valve (just in case)
  • Fit the rubber seal onto the piston, about a quarter of the way on
  • Stretch out the seal to expose the rubber ridge that fits inside the caliper housing
  • Slowly and carefully, slide the rubber ridge into the caliper starting from the bottom and work your way up clockwise.
  • While performing the above step, start pushing the piston into the caliper, while also turning it in clockwise. This helped me get the rubber ridge to seat inside the caliper easier.
  • The above process took me a few tries. Be patient.
  • Once you get the rubber seal into the caliper (check to make sure, as you don’t want to deal with leaks), push the piston in as far as you can.
  • Assuming you never got Brake Service Mode engaged, the piston is probably still pushed out too far to fit over the new brake pads. If you can get Brake Service Mode working (which I was never able to do), you should be able to push the piston all the way back.
Part 2 – Getting The Piston Pushed Back
  • IF you are unable to get your brake spreader between the piston and caliper, then your EPB is still engaged. You need to use something like the Irwin Groovelock Pliers which allow you to forcefully grab onto the piston, and turn it CLOCKWISE. I put tape on the piston to help protect it. Be careful, to avoid damaging the piston, but slowly but surely you will be able to get the piston to retract and give enough space for the brake spreader to fit.

• Once you have the brake spreader in and spread as far as possible you’re golden.
  • Try and turn the piston CLOCKWISE with the spreader - use a wrench to turn as it is more effective. Depending on the state of your EPB, the clockwise motion might be required to get the EPB fitting back down on the threaded bolt.

• As noted previously, the Electronic Brake when engaged will push out as far as it can until it senses resistance. The brake spreaders provide this resistance, and the Electronic Brake calibrates its position accordingly.
Part 3 – Rinse, Lather, Repeat
  • Get into the Evoque - press the Start button to turn it on (not running). Then push down the on the Electronic Parking Brake (hold it down), then step on the accelerator. You will hear a whirring sound, which is the Electronic Parking Brake retracting.
  • While the car is still on, go to the rear brake caliper, and remove the red plug which powers the EPB. This ensures it does not re-engage while you’re working on it. Now use the wrench to turn the brake spreader and wind it as far as it can go.
  • Plug the red plug back into the caliper, go back into the Evoque, press the Start button to turn it off which re-engages the Electronic Parking Brake.
  • Repeat Part 3 from the beginning to recalibrate the EPB, so that you can continue to wind back the brake spreader. Repeat the process until you can get the calipers spread until you can get them over your new brake pads. It took me probably 10-15 times - be patient, you will see the results. Then close off the bleeder valve.
  • As I was never able to get the Evoque into Brake Service Mode, I used the methods detailed in Part 2 and 3 for the other rear brake – so I can confirm it works. If you’ve completed Parts 2 and 3 successfully, you’ve probably reinstalled your rear brake pads and caliper. Congrats!
In my case, my foot brake felt spongy, so I ended up bleeding and replacing the brake fluid (DOT 4).

===============================================================
Proper Guides
===============================================================
Youtube (Front Brake Pad - the Freelander is the same as the Evoque)

Brake Service Mode (DO THIS BEFORE removing the brake caliper)
emergency parking brake

Youtube video (Brake Service Mode)

Rear Brake Pad Replacement
Rear Brake Pad Replacement DIY with pics

Youtube video (Rear Brake Pad Replacement)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciation for an excellent write up!
No prob. (y) Hopefully it helps others out who are stuck in a bind like I was, and save people the cost of replacement. To be honest, to this day I still can't get the car into brake service mode, but at least I can go back to this method if I need to in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts