Evoque Forums banner

Do rotors automatically have to be replaced when replacing pads?

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Petergon 
#1 · (Edited)
So I took my 2015 Range Rover Evoque to my local mechanic for inspection. He said the front and rear brake pads need replacement but on these cars when replacing the pads the rotors also need to be replaced regardless. Even though they are not worn out. Is this true? I’ve never heard that rotors need replacement if they’re still good.

#2 ·
Typically whenever replacing rotors, pads should be replaced but not necessarily the other way around. They wear at two different rates. If the rotors are still near new thickness its not all that necessary. If pads have been replaced twice already, it’s time for rotors. The important thing is thickness. No grooves, cracks or warping.

#3 ·
Thanks for responding. Yeah, the mechanic said that on these cars whenever the pads are replaced the rotors must also be replaced because he said the rotors on these cars are “soft” and they must be replaced whenever the pads are replaced regardless. I found this odd. Like you said they both wear out at different rates.

#6 ·
I see. It’s likely their policy to replace both regardless of need. If you notice them avoi the word all together I’d say very likely. If it’s a warranty/liability issue it makes some sense. But if you’re a paying customer I don’t see how they could refuse to replace pads unless you pay for rotor. How it’s normal done is one thin, saying this is the only way we will do it is another.

#7 ·
My 2012 Evoque eats brakes. I am on my third set of pads and just under 100000 kms. The rotors are small for the vehicle. Should have been equipped with larger rotors front and rear especially with the 20 inch wheels. Just had Budget Brakes replace the pads and rotors In Canada. They weren’t too badly priced. At least half of what the dealer ship charged me the last time.

#8 ·
Bigger brakes would of course perform better as well as look pretty awesome. Our evoque has 19’s so would make a bike brake set look all the more sporty but since that sort of performance was never a characteristic of the little evoque , no big brakes. Surely better brakes can be had at the OEM size though. Pad /rotor upgrades.

#9 · (Edited)
Your mechanic is probably exaggerating it seems like he has to change the discs on every evoque That’s needs new pads. It’s very unlikely that they must be changed with each set of pads. Fresh discs have no lip around the edge, if you can feel a lip about 1mm deep then I would swap them at the next change of pads. Consider Learning to do it yourself, Discs and pads In my opinion are one of the easiest jobs for a mechanic. Many overcharge in my opinion for parts and labour.

#10 ·
By the way, I’ve got brand new discs and pads on the evoque I just bought and at least one disc is mildly warped already (can feel it through the brake pedal coming to a stand) so They are obviously poor quality discs that were fitted. that’s just one more Reason to source your own online parts so you can get better quality for a decent price.

#12 ·
My 'old' mechanic told me I needed to replace both pads and rotors. Very expensive. My 'new' mechanic who does Jag/RR just replaced the pads and checked the rotors. Rotors fine. I'm at 70K miles now. Lots of brake dust on the rear allows he attributes to some part of the auto parking brake operation? He uses OEM pads and told me my last set we're a new composition as JLR had replaced pads with something different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.