Evoque Forums banner

ECO System

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Eugenemsmith 
#1 ·
2015 premium w/20k miles......so, my ECO System has not activated in months. While most of you may think of this as a bonus, I feel something is wrong and stopping it from activating. Another issue that has happened, A warning message came across the dash that said "Tire Pressure Monitor System Fault". I dropped it at the dealer and asked them to also do the tranny computer update. Well, according to them, there is nothing wrong. No stored code for TPMS Fault, Tranny does not need an update, and they said the ECO system will start working in a few days. They said the aftermarket tires most likely caused the TPMS Fault. It wasn't one wheel, but rather a total system fault. I suspect the vehicle has a bad battery but dealer says no. The loaner they gave me was filthy, enough dust on the dash to write my name in, dried dirt on the seats, candy wrappers between the steering wheel and dash, and food crumbs all over the console. And this was a 2016 discovery with 1800 miles...... I really thought this was supposed to be a luxury automobile and dealer. I am beyond disappointed with this entire scenario.

#2 ·
Doesn't sound like a very good experience to me. I would like to know how "aftermarket" tires could cause a TPMS fault! The TPMS sensors are mount to the wheel, it shouldn't matter what tires are mounted around them. The only thing that could happen, is the tire shop damaged a sensor when mounting the new tires.

As for the ECO stop/start, there are a number of conditions that will prevent it from kicking in. Not sure where you are located but if in winter and the temperature is below 32F it won't operate. Could be the cold weather, or if you are in a warm state, might be one of the other conditions.

An automatic transmission shift paddle
has been used to select a gear.
• The external temperature is less than
approximately 0°C.
• The external temperature is more than
approximately 40°C.
• The engine has not reached its
operating temperature.
• The driver's seat belt is not fastened.
• Demand from the Climate control
system requires the engine to be
running, for example, when in Defrost
mode.
• The vehicle's battery charge is low.
• Intelligent stop/start is deactivated.
• The bonnet is opened.

#3 ·
The aftermarket wheels also have aftermarket TPMS sensors.... but they have been on the car for months. If one sensor failed, I would show 1 low tire. That I could believe. but its a total system failure. I believe the car battery is weak and causing the computer error along with the no eco start/stop. All other conditions that you posted are in order. Not to mention, the loaner car went into eco at every light when I had it. I will be on the phone with them next week again, but then I think I am going to switch dealers. I am in Massachusetts, 3 times to the dealer for the same issue and it is protected by lemon law. I may need to go this route.

#4 ·
Rsquared is completely correct but having also had a non functioning ECO stop start which has just finally been fixed i can make a further suggestion. The system failed to work even after long journeys which some dealers said were needed rather than lots of short town journeys.

They had already changed a chip controlling stop start but it still only worked very very occasioanlly. They also suggested charging the battery at dealership which would have achieved nothing but getting it to work for a week or 2.
Finally they offered to change the battery - as it turns out the battery has its own chip that tells the alternator when it is fully charged and this chip was telling the car to stop charging before the battery fully. In bar terms it was like the glass being filled but not right to the top of the glass. As a result the stop start correctly identified that the battery wasnt charged enough to operate!

Its been working perfectly ever since and on my 9 speed ford engine diesel is showing around a 10 mpg improvement in town esp if I only use climate without air con. Its a great car but this is my last diesel of any kind as its good but they all are very polluting - NO2 especially. Petrol or hybrid petrol electric for me next time.

#5 ·
Well, it's back at the dealer for the same issues....this time I was able to get a picture of the dash when the TPMS system failed. They called after a few hours stating that they had no idea why the eco mode is not working and also no idea why the TPMS system is crashing. Lmao, I have never seen anything like this. They seem to perk up when I mentioned a bit of the lemon law here in Massachusetts. All I want is the vehicle fixed, really not asking for too much here, but they make it feel like it's me against them. Not sure the next vehicle will be a Range Rover, I'm learning a serious lesson in this forum and with this experience.

#7 ·
Sounds most like your battery so good thing they replaced it. 95% of the time the battery charge is the problem with eco not working. And batteries are now matched to the car and programmed for charging levels so you can't just replace it with a generic battery. The TPMS can be affected by aftermarket tires because the diameter is slightly different. It can take a little while for the computers to re-adjust. They actually do this now to correct the tire diameter so you mileage and speed are correct - providing the tire diameter is within 5% of the designed diameter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.