Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize there are several other threads concerning this topic but they all seem to have no real information in them. Does anyone know if there is a upgrade avaialble for the gasoline 2.0 turbocharged engine.
Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Infinus,
Thanks. My frustration spurred me into some real digging. Below is a web site for some folks I'm talking to. The down side is, with them, I have to send my ECU off to CA. The good news is they have several dealers around the country.

www.ecutuninggroup.com

The second outfit, Prindivelle in the UK, claims they have units you can install and will send the unit to you. I've sent them an e-mail to see if a layman can install it. I also asked about their air intake systems.

www.prindiville.co.uk

Both claim about the same power increases, 40 HP and 80 ft/lbs. Both about $1200. I'm waiting for an e-mail from the ECU tuning group with dyno print outs in it. My local dealer is at SEMA this week so it will be a while before I see one. I plan on trying one of these outfits for my install. The good news is that both company's have programs designed for the gasoline Evoques.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You might want to hold off. According to another thread on this forum there is an "interim tune" to address the reduced power mode some are experiencing in the rain and it gives +50 hp and 85 lbs of torque. If you can get it free from your dealer vs an aftermarket tuner and have factory support and warranty it's worth trying out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got this reply from Prindiville. Not very keen on sending my ECU to the UK.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding your Range Rover Evoque 2.0 Petrol.

The stage 2 upgrade is a very good solution for the 2.0 Petrol Evoque and boosts performance really rather well! It features a smoother power delivery, punchier mid-range, more torque and a more progressive feel to acceleration.

The air filter increases airflow into the plenum chambers which creates a larger mass of air which is present at higher engine loads. The ECU map will take this into account and adjust the fuelling to match this increased airflow and will therefore abide by the old and trusted rule, more air plus more fuel equals a larger explosion resulting in more power!

We would require your ECU here in the UK to remap it and we would post this back to you with your air filter. The price for this would be £810 plus shipping.

If you would like to order these components please let me know and I will provide you with an invoice.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Best wishes,

Toby Barlow

[email protected]
www.prindiville.co.uk

0800 0758 500
0207 624 2911

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW, I have ordered one. Will advise how it goes. Obviously the only true way is to dyno the car. Uncertain I will do that. If I get over 300 HP and 100 ft/lb increase in torque the skin on my butt will certainly know the difference!(?)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Performance Programming

Duh, anybody try one of these. I've e-mailed them and asked if they have any dyno print outs.

https://www.racechip-usa.com/chiptuning/Land-Rover/Range-Rover-Evoque/Range-Rover-Evoque/Si4-177kw/
I spent some time on the UK Evoque forum and the information there was mostly about the Diesel chip but there was no real definitive information on the success of the chip, other than its claims that when used brings the Diesel motor to the performance of our gasoline motor. What I did find was that a baseline approach, reprogramming the entire ECU by a company that has done its research (most expensive,) will provide the best results in performance, rather than using a plug in chip which only modifies a few of the ECU operations. The chip can push the operating parameters of the motor into dangerous areas because, unlike a reprogramming approach, the chip only takes several operations into account without affecting the total adjustment of the motor. Also the UK Evoques and possibly our USA ones have a "black box" that is a a history of all dangerous motor events. This records incidents of operation by the driver that can lead to motor damage and these incidents void any warranty coverage in the case of engine damage. Exceeding programmed parameters, with any sort of plug in device that can be removed if you take your car in for servicing, will still be recorded. Somehow it seems to easy that there's this much power locked away in our 2.0 gas engine that the engineers at Land Rover haven't used. As this motor is commonly used across the Ford line I'm surprised that there aren't more performance parts available for us. Seems everything is double stick adhesive Bling items. Our Evoques are tuned for torque more than maximum horsepower so this could complicate what aftermarket mods work. All that I could find in simple mods for my Evoque was a drop in K&N filter into the factory air box. Not a measurable change. Its my understanding that the European markets have made the Evoque very popular and you would think the parts would be there. Not even a K&N Cold air intake system is available.

·
Registered
242 Posts
FWIW, I have ordered one. Will advise how it goes. Obviously the only true way is to dyno the car. Uncertain I will do that. If I get over 300 HP and 100 ft/lb increase in torque the skin on my butt will certainly know the difference!(?)
Yes keep us informed of the outcome. I went to their website and 'racechip' appears to be a reputable company with a concern for customer satisfaction and plenty of how to and why info with videos. Also a lot of experience in chip tuning and the chips are German manufactured. They seem to keep improving their product as there are three levels of chips available defined by processor speed. increasing processor response time would seem to me to be a safer way to increase performance. What chip level did you order? I'm curious if the Ford Focus ST is tuned differently than the one for the Evoque (same basic motor.)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mstraka,
Thanks for the input. I bought the TB Ultimate for $769. It should be here tomorrow, Sep 4, and I'll install it. I had a Burger chip on a BMW X6 300 HP twin turbo engine. I think it is about the same approach as Race Chip, plug and play. Had about seven different settings adjusted electronically via a control box. I always ran it on the highest setting, most power for street use. I'll never know if it was working as advertised because I never dynoed the car. I could feel a difference and never had any engine problems from it. Race chip has a two week return policy. I hope I don't have to use it. One thing, I sent an e-mail to Race Chips contact e-mail on Sunday. Got a response from a Paul. Exchanged several e-mails during the day......yes on a Sunday in the middle of a holiday weekend. I find that unique. Keep your fingers crossed for me....OK?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Installed! Does it work? Yes. Does it give head snapping acceleration? No. Of course we're still dealing with a pint sized four cylinder. The biggest gain I could feel was in the torque. Also, I only drove it a few miles around town so my impression is still in it's infancy. Took 1+15 to do the install. Had to take grille, left headlight and fog light out to get the turbo boost pressure sensor on the outlet of the inter cooler. One should receive a PDF from Paul with pictures via e-mail as well as the generic pamphlet in the box. My techno son found two U-tube videos, links below, that helped us get the lights out. It was still difficult to get to the lower sensor. It's below and toward the inside of the car of the left headlight washer. The video starts by stating the way to change headlights in an Evoque is first remove the front bumper...............yikes! It then goes on to show the short cut...still not easy. Tools? Phillips head screw driver, 10 and 11 mm sockets, #20 torques hex head screw driver and most importantly a spring loaded to the open small pair of needle nose pliers. Neither my son nor I could get the lower sensor to unplug. Finally a third party with strong but small hands was successful. If one elects to buy the device I recommend the "Ultimate" box. Other wise one may be disappointed. I mounted the box it's self on top of the metal cross beam behind the radiator. If some one will will post a picture of the mounting I'll e-mail it to you.Two small holes and a couple of stainless screws secured it very well. I simply could't find a secure place to mount it in the engine compartment with just tie wraps. Inside the box it's self are two small dials for fine tuning. Paul says talk to him before trying anything. I plan on driving it over the week end before I give him a call if necessary. I had the ECU upgrade from the dealer which eliminated about half my turbo lag. It is now almost totally gone. Below are the two links to the video. Good luck!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One other thing....a "blank" plug comes attached to the harness where the box plugs in. I think one can remove the box, put the blank plug back in removing the box from the system and returning everything to stock? Also, the harness has five plugs total, one for the box and two each that go inline betrween the sensors. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sent Paul the links to the video concerning the install. Below is his e-mail response.

Thanks for your email and notes. We actually used to be in the business of ecu flashing/development and gave that up for all the downsides that come with it and developed RaceChip as a result. Having said that we are popular in Europe and Asia but the brand is new to the market in the US due to it being a market with less turbo engines compared to rest of world. That tide is changing however with the move to turbo and smaller displacement.
Thanks for spreading the word. And we're here to help if anything comes up.

Have a good weekend.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Forgive me, I keep remembering little items that may help. I reccomend a long sleeve shirt, maybe a sweat shirt, and perhaps even some tight gloves when going in for the lower sensor. There are some sharp edges in there. Also, once the lower plug was detached fom the car installing the harness was relatively easy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm following your review of the chip and I hope you continue to post your progress. Thanks for taking the time to post the you tube videos. This web link has one person's extended efforts in getting the most out of a Race Chip installed in his mini diesel in Europe. sjuut.dk - RaceChip Some successes and some mistakes along the way. He has dyno charts to record his tuning efforts. As with any event to get the most out of a performance enhancement there's a lot of fine tuning past the installation. His conclusion was that most of the performance was gained by the chip increasing turbo boost. After a considerable time from the installation of the chip his turbo fan failed. Maybe too much boost or just a coincidence? He never achieved the power claims of the manufacturer. Perhaps these claims are for someone who has free flow cold air intake and lower restriction exhaust systems. I wish K&N would offer such an intake system, as they make for many other vehicles. Better breathing is the starting point for a turbocharged motor. Also many aftermarket exhausts are not less restrictive, some even more restrictive, just giving a performance sound. Land Rover spent a lot of effort with smart engineers to give us as much performance as possible within a "practical" parameter. So successfully tuning past these configurations is a challenge. My disappointment is that the motor is tuned for torque, much as a truck motor, and in my experience there's not much point in taking the motor past 5000 rpm. Perhaps the most cost effective performance upgrade would be in the future to swap out the motor with the same Ford 2.0 Ecoboost motor out of a ST or SVO Ford. I'm entertained with the Evoque's performance, but its incredible styling results in a car that looks faster then what it drives.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts