Evoque Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a 2014 evoque with 98k on it. Barely running and lots of smoke out of the tailpipe.
Checked out the cause of the failure and found piston failure of cylinder #2.
The car-

The carnage-

My view looking through spark plug hole #2. Yes that looks likes a connecting rod and wristpin :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is when I started to dive into the surprisingly deep world of Ecoboost engines. There are many similarities and differences between all the models. I was also shocked by what an engine would price just because it came from a JLR product.

Evoque Engine (used eBay) goes for around $4000
Ford Focus ST engine (used eBay) can be had for around $1500 (and it is proving to be superior, more on that later)

A big issue on the Evoques has been the cracking exhaust manifold. Focus ST engine has an integrated manifold, Evoque does not. Piston failure also appears to be an issue on the Evoque and less on the Focus ST. Focus builds pushing 300+whp are fine on the stock bottom end. I suspect the Focus ST may have superior engine internals.

So I ordered an Ecoboost 2.0 engine from a Ford Focus ST-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compression test on new motor checked out fine. Now time to start removing engine from my current Evoque.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Please keep us posted on your progress! Of course I knew that the Evoque engine was a Ford engine, so when my exhaust manifold failed I looked in to getting one from an Escape since I thought they had the same engine and thought their manifold/turbo would be more reliable. That is when I noticed that the manifold was integrated on the Escape engine. So the head and the exhaust manifold is different and as you suspect some of the internal parts may be different as well. I really don't understand why they would have made the effort to make changes to this engine which really made no improvements and really just made it less reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it in and logged 40 miles yesterday and today. I met a real Catch 22 on the downpipe. I welded the flange from the evoque on a Fiesta ST downpipe and being FWD, the catalyst nearly hits the PTU and it hits the driveshaft.
For now I removed the rear driveshaft and i've been running my Evoque FWD. It surprisingly doesn't change the demeanor of the car on the street.
I have a few faults I have to de-bug. I have three codes I need work through. I have a P0234 for overboost (i need to check the wastegate crack pressure on the two turbos, could be different). I also have a code for the oil temp sensor (I didn't swap pans and this new pan has no hold for the sensor arg). I also have a slightly high idle, probably an air leak somewhere.

Anyways, 5 steps forward and 2 steps back, but project is coming along. The real crux of the whole project is the downpipe. It's a real game of inches and I'm going to have to make my own if I want to have AWD again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts