Evoque Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and Gals -

One thing holding me back from buying this vehicle is its capability in snow. Any thoughts on this? I'm looking at getting a Dynamic or Prestige (likely a Dynamic). If I go with the 20" rims will this thing handle badly in snow? Will buying 19's be any noticeably better? I absolutely don't want to screw around with switching out tires in the winter. My last two vehicles (a Wrangler and a H3) didn't require me to do this because of the AT's I had/have on them. I have no storage for 4 sets of alternate tires and rims. If I can't feel good that this vehicle will handle decently in snow I'm not buying. I live in MN and this is a deal killer for me.

Feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not yet an owner, but as with many cars I'd wager your performance is going to depend highly on your tire choice. Best bet is to get a dedicated set of m&s tires on separate 18 inch rims. The 19 inch all seasons would do better than 20 inch summers, for sure, but neither is the "right" tire. If you're ok using an AT year round, then you might just want to get 19 inch m&s tires on the stock wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in Montana, just got a 2013 Dynamic in October, first thing I did was put on 20'' Bridgestone Blizzaks, this vehicle performs flawlessly on fresh snow, snow packed and ice covered roads. I did not try and would not run the stock tires in these conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Montana, just got a 2013 Dynamic in October, first thing I did was put on 20'' Bridgestone Blizzaks, this vehicle performs flawlessly on fresh snow, snow packed and ice covered roads. I did not try and would not run the stock tires in these conditions.
Thanks! Do you think I could run the 20" Type 6 or Type 7 rims with the Blizzaks? I could just switch out the stock tires for the winter ones. I could find that more acceptable. I guess I'm more opposed to two sets of rims than two sets of tires. What did Blizzaks run you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes I am running type 6 with the Blizzaks, I just swapped the stock tires (which are really nice btw.) and put the Blizzaks on, come spring/summer I am going to buy another set of type 6's for the stock tires. The Blizzaks cost me $1300 installed, with nasty weather fast approaching I didnt really have time to shop around, just went to my local firestone. I wasnt exactly thrilled about it but now I am completely satisfied & really glad I did it. I am amazed how well this car does in the snow!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I am running type 6 with the Blizzaks, I just swapped the stock tires (which are really nice btw.) and put the Blizzaks on, come spring/summer I am going to buy another set of type 6's for the stock tires. The Blizzaks cost me $1300 installed, with nasty weather fast approaching I didnt really have time to shop around, just went to my local firestone. I wasnt exactly thrilled about it but now I am completely satisfied & really glad I did it. I am amazed how well this car does in the snow!
Thanks. Why get a second set of rims? Why not just switch the tires out at the end of each season?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have alwyas been told that you can stretch the tire if you continue to take them on & off, as for running the Blizzaks year round, I was told winter tires wont wear in the snow only when there isnt any. They advise only to run them in the winter season to maximize their life span.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking I'll gravitate more toward keeping the 19's on with the Continenental All Season M&S tires then. That should be fine in snow right? I don't want two sets of rims. I'm not a native of MN (I'm a Texan) and just moved here so this snow tire thing is new to me. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not sure how the second half of that post changed color?? sorry bout that
I'm thinking I'll gravitate more toward keeping the 19's on with the Continenental All Season M&S tires then. That should be fine in snow right? I don't want two sets of rims. I'm not a native of MN (I'm a Texan) and just moved here so this snow tire thing is new to me. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for your help. I'm still on the fence on buying an Evoque because of this tire thing. Argh! I really don't want to deal with two sets of tires/rims. im not sure I can get away with one set of tires year round here in MN. What to do, what to do....

·
Registered
13 Posts
hopefully someone on here will chime in thats running 19'' with AT's. Good luck, again my opinion is this is a great vehicle & handles superbly in the snow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 19" m+s Continentals, at least on my vehicle, do not provide enough traction on snow. I've owned numerous AWD vehicles as I'm an avid skier, and the Evoque with those tires may have been the worst car I've ever driven in snow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, not liking these answers. Helpful, just not what I want to hear. Does anyone know of a tire I can keep on this car year round that works well in snow? Help!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey there- I'm in Minneapolis. I have the 20" style 6 with summer tires. Was up North this past weekend and we got 10 inches of snow. I have dedicated 19" rims with Blizzaks but have not yet put them on. The Evoque did great in the snow even with summer tires, but braking was not as good as acceleration or cornering. I would plan on doing something with Winters. All-J's in Minneapolis is where I bought the Blizzaks- they store your tires (for FREE!) in the off season and they were $975 installed. Not bad!Dedicated rims are the way to go. Better for your tires and easier on you.

All season tires are ok, but not great for braking on ice. Four wheel drive or ABS does you no good if you don't have a good tread to grip the road.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Evoque in the snow, well it has nearly kill me four time , my wife twice and the entire family once. It is not fit for purpose in the snow which is why I bought one. I could not believe I was sitting in a Ranger Rover with all wheels spinning getting closer to the edge. Yes, I have had all the training and I am an experienced driver in off road. This car is a sunny day car and I am seeking a full refund and going to by a corsa as they seem to go round corners in the snow.

If you are thinking of buy this car to use in the snow or for towing. SImply forget it and buy a NIssan or something else.

Yours sincerely

Robert Mellors

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi

Evoque in the snow, well it has nearly kill me four time , my wife twice and the entire family once. It is not fit for purpose in the snow which is why I bought one. I could not believe I was sitting in a Ranger Rover with all wheels spinning getting closer to the edge. Yes, I have had all the training and I am an experienced driver in off road. This car is a sunny day car and I am seeking a full refund and going to by a corsa as they seem to go round corners in the snow.

If you are thinking of buy this car to use in the snow or for towing. SImply forget it and buy a NIssan or something else.

Yours sincerely

Robert Mellors
Hmmm... you tried in different mode settings? Because you don't sound like an experienced off-road driver. Nothing personal but an experienced off-road driver doesn't even need 4x4 90% of the time. What country are you in?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You'll be fine with the stock tires and wheels. It won't make much of a difference whether the wheels are 19" or 20". The stock tires won't handle quite as well as purpose-built winter tires in the snow, but they will do surprisingly well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts