Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving my new Range Rover Evoque Dynamic for over a month now. I just love the car. I have got so many compliments from total strangers that I lost count. Biggest negative of the car is the Navigation system. It just sucks. It's slow, finding the useful information takes time and it keeps showing useless information. Finding anything in this navigation system takes so much time and you have to press so many buttons. I use my iPhone instead of this navigation system to find places quickly. How come they design the most beautiful car ever and fit a below par navigation system like this. Save your money and buy another good GPS.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cutting costs I guess. I would say that it's sub par for any navigation system I've ever had. I have to use my phone any time I want to find something and then enter it into the nav. Sucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello, I'm using the same model right now but I haven't experienced any difficulties regarding with its navigation. thanks for providing these I should prepare car parts for my safety. thanks to you mate. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nav is completely useless. I hate my Garmin, too, and almost prefer to just use Google Maps above all else, except that is not possible while driving.I am confused that there is so much space devoted in the UI to tell me about the next 3 upcoming exits instead of preparing me for the next 3 steps of my journey! The voice command is a bit of a joke as well, like 4 steps to do simple things. I love the car itself though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Nav works ok, not near as well as my 125 dollar Garmin that will not work in the Evoque due to the solar / heated front windshield.

It is harder to locate POI's with the RR Nav than Garmin.

The RR NAV does ok in Cities and populated areas. In my small town, it can not get me to my home, it does not know the names of the roads once your off the main hwy, and is lost in a 15 year old subdivision.

However, the Nav is my second biggest complaint, the slow to swithc to back up camera is my number 1 complaint.

That said, I still think this is the nicest vehicle I have owned.

Reactions: malharden

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased the 2013 HDD Nav Update from Navteq, but have not been able to get the system to complete the update. It is painfully slow and takes over 2hours. it keeps timing out and has just crashed the entire media system. The Navigation system is appalling; a serious flaw in the design and execution of an otherwise great vehicle.If we didn't have the heated windshield, then I would rather use my Garmin device - it's so much better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm using Google NAV bluetoothed to the stereo system when I need it. Works great. I doubt I'll ever spring for an in dash NAV system again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Understood...but the screen in this and many vehicles offers more than just Nav, which for me has influence on my decision to purchase

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you guys doing the map update with the engine running? We are updating a batch of Range Rover Sports and Evoques and the instructions are to do it with the engine running. It does take two and a half hours, and only on one car was there a problem. We shut the thing down, and tried it again the next day, no problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have to say, this is pretty appalling. I recently got a 2012 Jaguar as a loaner (during the service to fix the pinging in the suspension -- new lower control arms) and of course Jaguar has the same crappy Nav. Clearly Tata/JLR is saving money using the cheapest possible solution and stuffing it into both brands in defiance of the luxury marque.

The idea that it would take 2.5 hours to do the update only further cements my annoyance. Clearly they used the cheapest computer parts possible. USB 1.0? The world's cheapest CPU? The worlds slowest motherboard and memory? Basically if they'd used parts as modern as an iPhone 4, it would run in a heck of a lot less than 2.5 hours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm using Google NAV bluetoothed to the stereo system when I need it. Works great. I doubt I'll ever spring for an in dash NAV system again.
Same here. I'm using Nokia Drive via bluetooth and it's awesome. It even warns you when you're going over the speed limit... I have to turn that off. :)

The Evoque nav is a HUGE disappointment compared to my 5-year old Infiniti G35x, but I knew it going in based on user comments. I've grown used to it for looking at traffic updates during my work commute but that's about all I use it for.

And as long as I'm talking about disappointments, I simply cannot believe that this $55k vehicle doesn't do text to speech for incoming text messages... again, my 5-year old Infiniti did it and I just assumed any new vehicle in this price range would. :mad: My fault for not asking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you use your NAV on your phone via bluetooth, can you still use your phone for a phone call? Specifically iPhone 4S, since I'm asking.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Like to know who's using the 2012 system as opposed to the 2013 and if there are differences. (For instance, somone mentioned the slow to "come-on" back up camera, which has been fixed for 2013, though unrelated to Nav). Two things would be great to know in every post: location and year of car. Only had my car for a week, but so far in So. California basics have been fine. Have not tried rural.

So far as the system taking two hours to upgrade, I had been reading of people complaining about how long it takes to upload a CD to the HD (where I presume the Nav info is also stored?). However, my 2013 system uploads CDs pretty quickly. Wondering if there are other changes for the 2013.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Using Nav System while moving

A major Nav issue for me is not being able to enter any addresses or data into the Nav system while moving. While I understand the safety aspect of this it still makes it difficult to change any navigation especially if you get lost on route somewhere which is when you need it in a hurry.

Is this "feature" only enabled in Australia or is this a global set up for Nav systems? If local I may be able to get it disabled by the dealer.

I have a 2012 Dynamic Si4 purchased in Sydney.

Regards,

·
Registered
482 Posts
A major Nav issue for me is not being able to enter any addresses or data into the Nav system while moving. While I understand the safety aspect of this it still makes it difficult to change any navigation especially if you get lost on route somewhere which is when you need it in a hurry.

Is this "feature" only enabled in Australia or is this a global set up for Nav systems? If local I may be able to get it disabled by the dealer.

I have a 2012 Dynamic Si4 purchased in Sydney.

Regards,
By this post, as I understand it, the Aussie versions cannot be programmed while the vehicle is in motion? The ones in the US can be programmed while moving. This would have been a deal breaker for me. I use the nav daily for work and while I agree that it is not ideal, I need to program and re-program several times a day while moving. Stopping the vehicle would mean an extra 30-45min of driving each day. I would think the dealer will not disable the restriction due to liability, but I would guess it could be done. Check YouTube!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
373 Posts
With my wife's earlier Sport we had this issue and there was a "code" you could punch in that over-rode this. Perhaps similar with Oz units? I have a 2013 BTW and really have few gripes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts