Evoque Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Does every single evoque exhaust manifold eventually crack?

Insane to me how many failures, no recalls, only option to replace whole manifold and turbo assy.
I doubt anyone could say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if most have not failed before 100,000 miles. The local dealer told me they have replaced "a lot" of turbos on these and he put lots of emphasis on "a lot".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine failed at 46,000 miles at a cost of $4,200.00, plus the new one had a one year warranty. Dealer mechanic told me the turbo should not fail again, but was replaced with another Land Rover brand turbo, and not an after-market one that has a more reliable manifold.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
many youtube videos on replacing the turbo exhaust manifold, not sure what the rule is on posting youtube videos but search for them
There are a few good ones for sure. From top with a lot of room by taking firewall out. As well as bottom without dropping subframe.
My whole deal is why would anyone replace it with the same faulty, unaddressed manifold design. Almost all I've seen have cracked manifolds, not failed turbos.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are a few good ones for sure. From top with a lot of room by taking firewall out. As well as bottom without dropping subframe.
My whole deal is why would anyone replace it with the same faulty, unaddressed manifold design. Almost all I've seen have cracked manifolds, not failed turbos.
I was told book is 8.2 hours labor, plus turbo manifold assembly.

I'll go with turbo parts Canada cast manifold assembly.

Stiill don't get how Land rover gets away with virtually all of them failing and not recall issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Haven't gotten the bid from the dealer yet. but, there are some turbo/manifold kits out there from reputable sources for $1360.

and then off ebay I see a variety of Turbo/manifold kids for under $400. like- WTF are these? will they work? who makes them?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I got mine (which looks similar to you buyautoparts.com link) from Turbo Parts Canada 3 years ago for $1000. At that time the BuyAutoParts version was about $900, but it was out of stock. Turbo Parts Canada claimed it was a remanufactured cartridge (remanufactured in England) with their cast iron manifold. But at the time there were several straight from China cast iron manifolds on ebay for around $200. I always assumed it was the same manifold. A few months later I started seeing several $400-$500 complete turbos on Amazon and Ebay that looked to have the identical manifold, but I wasn't sure about the cartridge or compressor housing. I knew of a few people that used those cheap ones and they worked at the time, but I don't know for how long.

Mine has lasted for 3 years (But only about 12k miles in that time). Less than a year after I installed it, I noticed there was a bit of oil leaking out of the cartridge on the exhaust manifold side. Even though it had a 12 month warranty, they were reluctant to offer any help beyond selling me a Melett remanufactured cartridge for $400. They claimed that was what was in the turbos they had sold me, but of course I just had to take their word for that. For all I know it was the same ones that are on Ebay for $400. I ended up buying a Melett remanufactured cartridge for $280 from LR Direct. However I never replaced it because the leak isn't so bad. I just clean the small amount of oil off at oil changes.

If you are sure it is just your manifold, maybe you could get just get a cast iron manifold and replace that and use your existing cartridge and compressor housing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got mine (which looks similar to you buyautoparts.com link) from Turbo Parts Canada 3 years ago for $1000. At that time the BuyAutoParts version was about $900, but it was out of stock. Turbo Parts Canada claimed it was a remanufactured cartridge (remanufactured in England) with their cast iron manifold. But at the time there were several straight from China cast iron manifolds on ebay for around $200. I always assumed it was the same manifold. A few months later I started seeing several $400-$500 complete turbos on Amazon and Ebay that looked to have the identical manifold, but I wasn't sure about the cartridge or compressor housing. I knew of a few people that used those cheap ones and they worked at the time, but I don't know for how long.

Mine has lasted for 3 years (But only about 12k miles in that time). Less than a year after I installed it, I noticed there was a bit of oil leaking out of the cartridge on the exhaust manifold side. Even though it had a 12 month warranty, they were reluctant to offer any help beyond selling me a Melett remanufactured cartridge for $400. They claimed that was what was in the turbos they had sold me, but of course I just had to take their word for that. For all I know it was the same ones that are on Ebay for $400. I ended up buying a Melett remanufactured cartridge for $280 from LR Direct. However I never replaced it because the leak isn't so bad. I just clean the small amount of oil off at oil changes.

If you are sure it is just your manifold, maybe you could get just get a cast iron manifold and replace that and use your existing cartridge and compressor housing.
My dealer just quoted me $4700. but that includes them sourcing the Land Rover part at over $3200. I was surprised to find out that they'd do the job with a part that I hand to them (but, of course, no warranty on it then). they also said that it may just be the gasket between the turbocharger and the manifold. which is 7hrs and $1200 of labor to replace a $50 part. No reason to buy the Land Rover part... the one that only lasts 60K. Waiting for bids from two other local shops. and then my decision is... do I go with the $1300 part Amazon.com or the $300 part. Amazon.com

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think this is the OEM part we’re talking about:

Exhaust Manifold for 2016 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque | Jaguar Land Rover Cary

Genuine OEM Turbocharger Part# LR066515 Fits 2014-2017 Land Rover: Up To 35% Off On Every Order And Guaranteed Fit When You Enter Your VIN | Jaguar Land Rover Cary

Frankly, the image shown of the borg-warner version (seemingly a well known brand), depicts a stainless steel manifold with welds which perhaps are what cracks? $2700
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/128121-05899821.html

then- there seem to be a lot of “Stigen” branded units for about $1300 (more or less, depending on if they include the gaskets)
https://www.amazon.com/BuyAutoParts-Stigan-Turbocharger-Gaskets-Evoque/dp/B08Z8DXNT9
which appear to have a cast exhaust manifold.

And then this is typical of the low priced chinese versions. plenty of them on eBay and Amazon. Around $300

https://www.amazon.com/Turbocharger-2017-2018-2013-2015-Discovery-2015-2017/dp/B08XVYF8SB

Anyone have any experience with any of them? my dealer is willing to install whatever I bring them (which is nice of them). No warranty of course. I found a good local LR mechanic that will do the install a bit cheaper (about $1000) and will work with me on picking out the right/cheaper aftermarket part.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine from Turbo Parts Canada has the manifold that looks more like the picture you show of the Chinese ones. It has that indented area in the exhaust manifold between cylinders #1 and #2 that the Stigen one doesn't seem to have.

Personally I would never go with the Land Rover one because it will just crack again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine from Turbo Parts Canada has the manifold that looks more like the picture you show of the Chinese ones. It has that indented area in the exhaust manifold between cylinders #1 and #2 that the Stigen one doesn't seem to have.

Personally I would never go with the Land Rover one because it will just crack again.
ok then. I gather your's installed and still working. i have no idea how precise and finicky these things are. I've got a mechanic that will install mine for $1K Plus the cost of the Turbo/manifold around $300ish. He didn't know anything about any of these specific parts, but said most manifolds are cast, not stainless and welded. who knows why Borg Warner chose that? (weight? thermal expansion?)

·
Registered
255 Posts
ok then. I gather your's installed and still working. i have no idea how precise and finicky these things are. I've got a mechanic that will install mine for $1K Plus the cost of the Turbo/manifold around $300ish. He didn't know anything about any of these specific parts, but said most manifolds are cast, not stainless and welded. who knows why Borg Warner chose that? (weight? thermal expansion?)
I do not believe it was a Borg Warner choice, but instead a LR choice. The 2.0 Ecoboost is a Ford Engine. It is in several Ford cars, like the Escape. The turbine cartridge and compressor housing on the Escape is identical to the LR one (both Borg Warner), but the manifold is completely different and is not welded stainless...and I have heard of no issues on Escapes. When mine failed, the MSRP for the LR OEM turbo was $2500 and you could find it for as cheap as $2100 online. At that time you could find the nearly identical Ford Escape OEM one for around $600. I considered buying the Ford one (Borg Warner) for $600 and the Chinese cast manifold for $200 and installing it onto the Ford one. But it was going to take several weeks to get the manifold delivered.

Directly from the LR service manual:

The turbocharger is attached to a sheet steel fabricated exhaust manifold with integral sheet steel turbine housing. The exhaust manifold is attached to the cylinder head with studs and nuts and sealed with a layered gasket.

The manifold is fabricated in two layers which impedes heat dissipation. The fabricated steel manifold has lighter weight than a cast manifold and also promotes faster warm-up of the catalytic converter, reducing emissions.
Yes, as stated in post #9 above, my turbo that I got from TPC was installed (by myself) just over 3 years ago and so far so good. I have only put about 12k miles on the vehicle since then though. I have a lift which made the install much easier, but still took some time. The older LR service manual said to drop the subframe under the engine to install it. Someone on here told me that you could do it from the rear without doing that. It makes replacing the turbo itself a bit more difficult, but overall it was way better to do it that way. A few have gone in through the passenger fender well. To access everything I had to go through both fender wells too, but I think it would be more difficult to do it entirely from the fender wells. Turbo Parts Canada and the newer (2015 at later) LR service manuals now say it is best to remove the turbo from the top rear of the engine. Personally I would still put it on the lift, drop the exhaust and drive shaft, and do it from the rear. There is quite a bit of information on these forums regarding turbos and replacement as this is a VERY common failure for these. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if over 90% fail before 80k miles.

I think $1000 isn't too bad for replacing the turbo. Someone that used to be on here paid someone around $500-$600 to replace his 3-4 years back. This person assisted the mechanic and so was very helpful with suggestions when I was doing mine. If you want the service manual pages for replacing the turbo, let me know. I have the older version that removes it from the rear (like I did) but removes the subframe first (I did not do this). And I have the newer version that shows how to take it out from the top. It is doable, but I think a few things are difficult to access coming in from the top. But it sure would be nice to not have to remove the driveshaft.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That’s great info. thx. Also- I figured out that there are two very similar units. One with a 2-pin plug and servo (not mine, but more readily available LR074185) and the ones without. Mine is an LR066515 (which appears to be the same as Land Rover part numbers LR04960 and LR068227)- but I had to get under the car with a flashlight to figure that out. landrover parts had both styles as appropriate for my vehicle. I did find a local shop that would do the install for $686, but the owner of the shop would only use the OEM part for $3284. That shop, who was familiar with the issue, also indicated that the problem might be the catalytic converter... which is more expensive.

Looks like I'm ordering the ebay part with the cast manifold for cheap, and having a local mechanic install it. I can do basic stuff- but too big of a job for me to do. I kinda' assume that the shop already has the service manual? but I'd be happy to share it with him, so yeah, thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How many cracked manifold and turbo failures does it take for land rover to acknowledge. This is brutal
there was a lawsuit two years ago, but it was dismissed. not enough people like us were aware of it at the time and they didn't have enough out of warranty complaints... so the judge dismissed it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, mine is finally done. Given the complexity and number of various mounting parts and gaskets required, I took it to my local LR deal. After some negotiation, I handed them my eBay turbo/manifold that I bought for $340. About $1200 in labor and another about $750 in overpriced nuts, bolts, gaskets and hoses. Yeah- the markup on simple mounting hardware is extreme. So- it was $2K in parts and labor, plus the $340 turbo… so, $2300 total. Ouch.

but. 1. LR gave me a nice Discovery SPort loaner vehicle for the week. 2. My car came back to me washed. 3. The mechanic said that the aftermarket turbo worked really well. 4. Service advisor mentioned that the mechanic had a difficult time getting the original off. I guess those single use nuts didn’t want to come free. Glad I wasn’t doing the job. Looks like a bitch.

Perhaps I will post a list of the $750 worth of mounting hardware that rover charged me. It’s pretty ridiculous.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts