Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone notice that your first service is not till 1 year or 16,000 miles. This includes your oil change. I called and check this info. This is amazing that oil can last this long. Plus my first service is paid for by Land Rover. So make sure you go to the dealer you bought it from.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anyone notice that your first service is not till 1 year or 16,000 miles. This includes your oil change. I called and check this info. This is amazing that oil can last this long. Plus my first service is paid for by Land Rover. So make sure you go to the dealer you bought it from.

It surprised the crap out of me.

I called my local oil change guy and asked him to sources oil and filter for the 5000 km (3000mile) initial change a month ago, and he called back to say that it is a dealer only service...first one at 26,000 km and that the oil must be suctioned out with dealer equipment as there is no drain plug.... I guess there is a reason they give us owners manuals... too bad I hadn't looked at it lol

Wonder what it will cost?

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is your evoque a petrol version or Diesel? Also just wondering what grade of engine oil it would use? To travel so long without a oil change it worrys me a bit!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is your evoque a petrol version or Diesel? Also just wondering what grade of engine oil it would use? To travel so long without a oil change it worrys me a bit!
yeah, Range Rover Evoque's service manual requires service only once every 16k miles. so that would be 16k, 32k, 48k, 64k, and so on. No oil changes needed in between. this is great. fyi this is regular gas-version, not diesel. However, I highly recommend that bring it in halfway in between the normal intervals too just to rotate your tires at every 8k (which should be free from the dealer you bought it from) or else your tires will wear out unevenly and you'll need new tires sooner.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My dealer told me about the service and at 16,000 miles, then said bring it in at 7500 miles they would be more than happy to perform the first complimentary service then. 7500 is as long as mine will go with out an oil change even with the synthetic.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hmm....I was thinking about that the other day. It's hard to believe I could let my oil change go that long. I'll probably want to do it at 7500 miles also. Only the dealership can perform this maintenance though?

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is a drain plug, it is simply not easily accessible. Never change your oil without changing the filter at the same time, and I don't advise admitting it to the dealer, as they may very well take exception to any "other-than-Land-Rover" service.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't have mine yet but if it really is that hard to get to I'd just tap the pan and install a fumoto valve, taking off the undertray shouldn't be that hard. I don't go to the stealership unless I have no other choice. I know I'll do a better job taking care of my car than any mechanic.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally had my first oil change done on Sat. Went well, no problems. They did find a leak at where the transfercase would be if we had one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
oil change

Just changed my oil, myself. The urban legend is dead! The oil pan has a drain plug dead center facing rearward. 15mm socket takes it off.
One filter and 1.5 gal (6qts) of synthetic 5W30 and I was done. The hardest part was keeping the filter oil from dripping on the intercooler hose. But no problem. Used a Fram TG-2614 filter. Mann ML1003 or PL10241 also fits.

There is a plastic pan below with 7 10mm bolts, just take it off and... full access. Its probably one of the easier oil changes I have done. I had 6500 miles on the clock the oil was pitch black. Glad I did it..

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you have to take a plastic cover off? If so how easy is it to do? Also anyone know where to find a factory filter online?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I changed my oil around 8K milee, half way from the recommended 16K service, but than recently I got the service light come on at only 12K. Dealer said the service is either 16K/1year which ever comes first. Ssfdf

I purchased the OE oil filter from my local RR dealer for a little over $20, but have found cheaper on ebay for the same OE filter. The dealer was selling RR 5W30 synthetic oil for over $10 a bottle (need 6 bottles). Went to Walmart and bought the same Castrol synthetic oil for almost half that price. But the only thing is that the readily available Castrol oil does not meet the exact same specifications shown on the back label of the RR synthetic oil bottle.

I accidentally told the dealer I changed the oil myself and he questioned if I used original filter and oil and my mistake I told him I used off the shelf Castrol 5W30 synthetic oil and warned me that the oil RR uses in the Evoque is specially formulated and not available anywhere else except at the dealer and tried to scare me by saying if anything would happen to the engine and it was deemed the wrong oil used, my warranty would be void.

What really could the difference be between the RR oil and the readily availabe Castrol synthetic oil?

View attachment 549

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thats a lot of nonsense. Remember this is a Ford motor with a turbo. It needs synthetic oil to keep from cokeing up.
The UK forums everyone is using CAstrol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Basically, changing oil entails a simple process that requires few tools, and definitely a sure way to save some money. More than anything else, the basic oil change is a great way to connect with your vehicle and take some control over its maintenance. The time you spend with your car affords you an excellent opportunity to look around and see if anything else needs attention. Indeed, it's good to know that you have successfully change your oil. Well,most people cite several reasons, like being busy or "the kids” as reasons why they do not change their own oil or spark plugs.

:cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great info in this thread, looks like I'll be having the oil in our Evoque changed 6 months in...for the $$ and the peace of mind why not?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts