Evoque Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After posting my experience with portable GPS units (Garmin) not working within my Evoque and having others say this is hogwash, below is my proof. As to whether other portable GPS units such as Tom Tom, etc work, I haven't a clue. I do know that my Garmin 760 does not work. Today I tried my Garmin 1490 with the same results. I DO have the electrically heated windshield which seems to be the problem.

The first show below shows my holding the GPS by the side driver's window. Works fine there. I guess I could use the vacuum mount there although I couldn't lower the window without first taking it down. And then there's the question of not only blocking side vision, but having to turn my head nearly 90 degrees to see the screen.

Electronics Gps navigation device Technology Electronic device Automotive navigation system

The 2nd shot was taken a few seconds later moving the GPS to the front. All the GPS signals rapidly drove toward zero.

Electronics Automotive navigation system Gps navigation device Technology Electronic device

The 3rd shot was taken after moving the GPS toward the center below the windshield. In both the 2nd and 3rd shot, the GPS was useless for navigation. Sorry about the pictures being upside down. I can't figure out how to flip them on this board. I DID move my EzPass sticker to the moon roof as it also didn't work through the windshield. Next time I drive in a pay lane, I'll test the new position and let the forum know whether it works or no in this position.

Luxury vehicle Car Vehicle Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After posting my experience with portable GPS units (Garmin) not working within my Evoque and having others say this is hogwash, below is my proof. As to whether other portable GPS units such as Tom Tom, etc work, I haven't a clue. I do know that my Garmin 760 does not work. Today I tried my Garmin 1490 with the same results. I DO have the electrically heated windshield which seems to be the problem.

The first show below shows my holding the GPS by the side driver's window. Works fine there. I guess I could use the vacuum mount there although I couldn't lower the window without first taking it down. And then there's the question of not only blocking side vision, but having to turn my head nearly 90 degrees to see the screen.

View attachment 127

The 2nd shot was taken a few seconds later moving the GPS to the front. All the GPS signals rapidly drove toward zero.

View attachment 128

The 3rd shot was taken after moving the GPS toward the center below the windshield. In both the 2nd and 3rd shot, the GPS was useless for navigation. Sorry about the pictures being upside down. I can't figure out how to flip them on this board. I DID move my EzPass sticker to the moon roof as it also didn't work through the windshield. Next time I drive in a pay lane, I'll test the new position and let the forum know whether it works or no in this position.

View attachment 129

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This thread got messed up and I don't know how to correct it. The text below was supposed to lead off in the first post. For some reason it doesn't show up and I can't seem to edit it into the first post.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was the first to report this and I have spoken directly with Garmin and Tom Tom and they are considering bringing back their older style GPS with roof mounted receivers in order to be able to pick up signal since the "safety glass" will not allow enough transmission to receive accurately. I mounted a roof receiver for my satellite radio for the same reason (cannot use a magnet as the roof is aluminum).

I mounted my GPS on the passenger window up high enough to avoid blocking the mirror and it works great... You cant roll the window down too much tho...and i tucked the wire (with an extension cord) under dash and around and up into the arm rest plug.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
By safety glass do you mean the standard glass on US model or the heated windscreen?
I do not have heated windscreen but still don't get any signal so was wondering if this problem is tied to heated windscreen or a problem in general.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My understanding it is the solar safety glass that is the problem, and heated just compounds that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts