Evoque Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit the trails this weekend as part of a dealership sponsored & club supported Land Rover Wheels Event. I was the only Evoque in a field of some 30 Land Rover vehicles. At the beginning they said there would be a few spots I would have to circumvent because of the Evoques limitations in clearance, power, etc., but in the end, the Evoque ripped through it all. We actually had one of the other vehicle (LR4 I heard) have to get winched up out of a bind and another slammed a tree.

Anyway, here's some pics if you're interested:

Land Rover Wheels Event 2012 - a set on Flickr

I've driven Jeeps & Explorers offroad all my life and was honestly impressed with how the Evoque performed. I did have some minor battle scars though. The double shelf mangled the front air deflectors just under the bumber, in front of the wheels. They could be removed easily, so I'd suggest anyone looking to do some legit off-roading to maybe pop them off prior to going.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Glen Rose - really? That's close... I would have chickened out and not tried to drive the Evoque's envelope of capabilities.

I know I read somewhere that for some situations you're supposed to remove that lower front piece before offroading. Is that in the owner's manual? I can't find anything when I'm looking for it!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have seen these evoques are quite capable off road. However, I am not sure I would want to risk scratching my baby. So far my 300 foot long gravel drive is the off road it has seen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glen Rose - really? That's close... I would have chickened out and not tried to drive the Evoque's envelope of capabilities.

I know I read somewhere that for some situations you're supposed to remove that lower front piece before offroading. Is that in the owner's manual? I can't find anything when I'm looking for it!
Heh, well I didn't read that anywhere, I just know they come off easily because I had to remove the mangled plastic afterward. Really not a big deal though, they should be easy to replace (I hope).

Yeah the Wheels Event was free itself, with a reduced rate to stay at the Rough Creek Lodge, which, if you haven't been there, is really fun. It's not cheap ($500-600/night for a couple) but you get top notch meals included and there is a whole host of "Texas resort" inclusions like hunting, rifle range, archery, tomahawk throwing, fishing, etc. etc. It's a splurge, but if you take advantage of what they have to offer, it's worth it.

The trail we went on was created and is maintained bu the local chapter of the Texas Rovers Range Rover club ( Texas Rovers ) and I'm not sure it's open to the public but if you hook up with the group you might have open access.

Actually there were two other Evoques there that did chicken out. I wanted to push the vehicle to see what it could do. No scratches. No dents. All good.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Come on! It's an off-road vehicle for a reason.
I know, however I have a 4x4 Truck. I also have acess to both my brothers Jeeps which are well lifted with 35's on one and 37" tires on the other. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts