Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys.
First of let me say that since I order the Dynamic Evoque back in March, I have been coming to this forum almost everyday to read about your experiences. It has been great, and I have learned a lot.

I have a friend that is a mechanic and was arguing with me that the Evoque is just the Ford Expedition with a different body. I know the engine is Ford, but I still am not convinced that its the same car. I know there are a lot of manufacturers that make the same car with different bodies (Eclipse/Talon for example) but tell me this isn't so.

I am having second thoughts about this car. I know its cool, but is it worth $12 - $15,000 more than the top of the line Ford Explorer? Honestly, take me out of canceling my order cause I do want this car, but its a lot more money, both in price and insurance.

Eric B.
Boston, MA

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yes it is a Ford engine, built in Spain. Asian makes the auto trans, not a Ford company. JLR is just buying the engine from Ford, the transmission form Asian.

Deawoo was bought by TATA in 2004. Ford Sold Jaguar / Land Rover March 28 2008 to Tata Motors. So the companies are not using the same frames and so on. The concept came out after JLR was bought by Tata. Its an in house design.

I am sure if you check you will find wheel base, width and weight and so on all different from the Explorer.

I sure would not trade mine for an Explorer, even if I was give 15K to even the trade out.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It comes down to taste. Clearly this car is not a Ford. I don't think you can boil it down to comparing the two vehicles but adding $15k. You have to compare this car to others in the same class. And I think the outsourced engine is a plus, to be honest. British luxury and amenities with reliable powertrain. I have had second thoughts because of the cost from time to time, but I think it is mostly because I made my decision and then have been waiting 3+ months for the fruit of my decision. I say hang in there!! I'll let you know in 2 days if it was worth the wait for me!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know I read somewhere that Range Rover has spent a considerable effort trying to keep the weight of the Evoque down. New materials were mentioned. I don't think Ford does that. Also, at 80 mph both my Evoques are quiet and very stable, especially the one with the "Dynamic" suspension.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will just put it out of my mind and wait for the build date. I was promised June, but we'll see. Im sure once I get it, then I would have no doubts in my mind. Its a lot of money for me, and a huge change in cars. I am excited, but nervous. Thanks for helps.

Eric

·
Registered
326 Posts
Also, at 80 mph both my Evoques are quiet and very stable, especially the one with the "Dynamic" suspension.
My dynamic, with it in dynamic mode is extermely stable and comfortable. My wife, who never drive more than five over was driving it the first time on the interstate, after a couple minutes I asked her if she planned on staying at 95 mph. She had no clue she was going that fast. No wind noise, great ride.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will just put it out of my mind and wait for the build date. I was promised June, but we'll see. Im sure once I get it, then I would have no doubts in my mind. Its a lot of money for me, and a huge change in cars. I am excited, but nervous. Thanks for helps.

Eric
Normally I buy inexpensive cars. My last car an 07 impala a base mode was 20K new, and I got it 6 months old for 14K. I have never spent more than 20K for a car, now my trucks cost way more. I have to have a one ton, so my last one an 06 was 45K.

So a loaded dynamic was way more than that, and not near as functional as my truck.

That said, I love the Evoque. It's a joy to drive. I was sick to my stomach when I bought it for spending that much on a want, not a need. After a week of driving it, I am sure glad I bought it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will just put it out of my mind and wait for the build date. I was promised June, but we'll see. Im sure once I get it, then I would have no doubts in my mind. Its a lot of money for me, and a huge change in cars. I am excited, but nervous. Thanks for helps.Eric
Hello,No it is not like the explorer for that matter, but definitely a nicer car design than any cars out there.I think you are going to be very happy with the Evoque dynamic, as it is one of the nicest looking cars in the world ( in this modality).If you are not concerned in changing cars every year or so, then, buy it you won't regret.Problems you see in the site are not consistent problems, unfortunately some of us are having them all, but slowly they are getting fixed.Good luck and don't change your mind, as your are going to be in a different category with an Evoque.Best of luck,Brazeagle

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just stopped into the Dealer to sit in their model car, and just remember what I liked about the car. I talked to my sales guy and he just informed me that my ordered car will be in about a month early. I should have it by May 20th. So I am going to stick it through and I can't wait to see the my new car. Thanks for all your message.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just stopped into the Dealer to sit in their model car, and just remember what I liked about the car. I talked to my sales guy and he just informed me that my ordered car will be in about a month early. I should have it by May 20th. So I am going to stick it through and I can't wait to see the my new car. Thanks for all your message.
Strong work, Dude. Not long left for you!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it's any consulation, I know exactly what you're going through having ordered a different new car that won't be here for another three months. That gives me three full months to question every facet of that decision which I've already done many times over. My Evoque however, was purchased with about 10 minutes of decision making as it was ordered by someone who couldn't qualify for the loan. He was literally in the finance department getting turned down when I was offered the car. I have had zero regrets since buying it as it's been a superb, trouble free car that has received endless compliments. Guessing that you're going to love it.

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
And I actually think you get a lot for the money. It is expensive, but hey- you can't take it with you!!!
Good point.

It is very expensive, but I do feel you are getting what you pay for. I get nothing but complements on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just ordered my si4 Dynamic. Have a 5-6 month wait ahead of me. The only problem I see with this car is the number of customisable options avaliable. The only option available is to go with a factory build or compromise and be reasonably happy.

All I can think, is that if Apple were to make a car right now, it would be close to the Evoque.
When all is said and done, this car is a thing of beauty. Definitely worth the wait.

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own a Ford Explorer Limited, and have enjoyed it for 15 years. So much so, I was planning on replacing it with a new one. After comparison test driving the Evoque (and I have to admit the Touareg) that idea vanished quickly - there was no contest. FYI: you can't get the excellent 2.0L engine in a heavy, bloated 4WD Explorer. I have been driving my Prestique about two weeks and find myself gravitating to driving like I have not done since I was a teen. Makes me smile every time I get in it. Smooth, quiet (except for when I blast the Meridian sound system using my iPod), good power and descent mileage.

For a second opinion... Made the mistake of letting my girlfriend (who is a perfectionist and a car enthusiast) drive my Evoque to meet the kids for brunch. She was more than a little impressed and now wants to drive whenever she is in the car and she wants to replace her GTI. I can see this is either going to be an expensive relationship or one with a major sacrifice.

You will love your Evoque.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all. I am looking forward to the car, and I think that it was just a fleeting thought about the money that it will cost. But I am full steam ahead.

I also talked to the dealer about putting on the 3M front shield, and they quoted me $695 which I think sounds good. They also said that they could put the black lettering that I purchased on the car for me before the shield goes on. I am going to try to get all this done before I pick the car up.

Oh, one more thing... they offered me some tire protection, so if I blow a tire, hit a curb or nail it would be replaced free. I think it was $895 for 5 years of protection. Did any of you go with this protection? It sounds like a lot since I would have to replace the tires on my own anyway from wear. But still would like to hear what you all think about this.

Eric

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
To a mechanic I think if they aren't car enthusiasts then any car is just a machine to them.
My friend is a mechanic and a car is a car is a car to him, but he's not my mechanic because my mechanic is an enthusiast and every car has it's own appeal and they are not all the same.

With that said The evoque has a Ford based engine but not exactly the same as Ford's version. Comfort wise also there is a huge difference.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts