Evoque Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! I am about to start on installing the very expensive tow package we received from Range Rover for our Evoque. We actually negotiated the final price with throwing in the entire tow package. But anyway, I just opened the package and not to my surprise the instructions have very poor pictures and no written instructions at all. After dis-ciphering the pictures I realized they need to have booth the bumper and the heat shield cut away so that there is clearance for the hitch. There is a template to do the cutaway so I am sort of ok with that except there is no instructions on removing the rear bumper. Can anyone assist in telling me where are all the hidden bolts and trim pieces I need to remove so that I can do this without damaging the truck. Thanks for all your help! Lawrence

·
Registered
18 Posts
While the instructions Rover supplies are difficult to decipher they usually are complete. They probably want you to modify the bumper while it is still on the car

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hitch install

When I bought my Evoque I was set back by the $1300.00 price to have the dealer install a hitch. So I went to install a hitch I sourced online the other day and I can confirm what the OP said, the instructions are poorly written. They are also very inaccurate. First off the dimensions on the template are just plain wrong the 141mm dimension, measures 130 see picture.
IMG_0691.JPG

Secondly you will have to remove the entire rear bumper cover which appears to be both glued and plastic welded so I was reluctant to start busting apart further. The cryptic instruction shown in the next photo is in Step 2. Notice the image of a book and the arrows that show the whole cover coming off. What I realized is that the instructions are telling me to consult another book for steps on removing the cover.
IMG_0679.JPG

So the end result is that I have an appointment at the dealer and will pay the 3 hours labor to have the install the hitch. The wiring harness can be sourced online for $285.00 and from the looks of the 2 plastic plugs, I'll install it myself. And the draw-bar with a 2" ball was less than $50.00 at Autozone.

So in my effort to Do It Myself, I'll save a little money, but all in all you may want to have the dealer do this.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jettie; that sounds like a summ of the parts prices for the 3 pieces (hitch, draw-bar and electrics) Good for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine came with that option, and given the amount of space in the Evoque, it will be used. I've been shopping for a small trailer...anyone have experience with sourcing a small utility trailer? Yakima has one the will enable me to mount my Skybox 16 and a couple of bikes, but they want an arm and a leg for it. Furthermore, Yakima hasn't tested the Evoque yet, so they have no roof rack/sky box recommendations to date.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Folks,
Check a thread in the Performance section titled "towing with an Evoque". May help some. I pulled a 2400 lb boat around the other day. No real problems except I was startled how much brake pedal pressure was required to bring the entire rig to a stop.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Good point Skywagon. Most people only think about having enough power to pull what ever it is they want to pull.

However being able to stop it is much more important.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts