Evoque Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car for a couple weeks. New 2013. As is usual with a CANBUS system, if you try to run radio or CD player etc., it will soon shut down to avoid battery drain. The first time this happened I got the 10 minute warning. Now I am getting a 3 minute (low battery) warning the instant I turn on the ignition (w/o) starting. However, thus far the car still starts and runs fine. Read on a UK forum that the 3 minute warning may not be good and could indicated bad alternator or a software issue. Anyone shed light on this for me? Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
The "Low Battery Warning" has been a persistent issue with my vehicle. However I have owned the Evoque for nearly a year and it always starts right up and never misses a beat. During my last visit to the dealership they updated the software for the Battery Condition Module and so far no more message. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "Low Battery Warning" has been a persistent issue with my vehicle. However I have owned the Evoque for nearly a year and it always starts right up and never misses a beat. During my last visit to the dealership they updated the software for the Battery Condition Module and so far no more message. Hope this helps.
Thanks MotorH. But were you getting the 10 minute warning or the 3 minute? Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Scrannel I was getting the 3 minute warning. The SA said the software update increased the parameters for when the smart alternator will charge the system. For reference, my vehicle was produced in January 2012. Good luck. MHJ

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took delivery of our Evoque about 2 weeks ago. While I was on my way to the dealer the salesguy called to say that they were checking over the car, and it needed a new battery. Our car had 5900 miles on it, and is a 2012. Seems way too early to me to have a bad battery. It might have been just a faulty battery from the start, and it really did need replacing, or it might have been the "low battery warning". I'll ask the dealer, but I doubt I'll get the real deal......

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called my dealer to tell him about the 3 minute and he just wants to put in a new battery. He said a software update may change the warning but it won't fix the battery. Notice on my build sheet my car (2013) is built "LESS FUEL ECONOMY PACKAGES". Does this refer to the "smart" alternator?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think all Evoques have Smart Alternators. Has the dealer tested the battery? IMO if the battery tests good then the software should be updated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I learned something new today... My wife stopped at the post office to check the mail and when she came out the car wouldn't start and we got the 3 minute warning. When LR roadside assistance came out, they told us when you turn off an Evoque there are 25 electronic processes going on that enter standby mode until you lock the door. If you don't lock your doors, those standby processes will continue to drain your battery. We live on a small military base in England and don't feel it necessary to lock the doors everytime we park. But now I know it's draining my battery when I don't.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I learned something new today... My wife stopped at the post office to check the mail and when she came out the car wouldn't start and we got the 3 minute warning. When LR roadside assistance came out, they told us when you turn off an Evoque there are 25 electronic processes going on that enter standby mode until you lock the door. If you don't lock your doors, those standby processes will continue to drain your battery. We live on a small military base in England and don't feel it necessary to lock the doors everytime we park. But now I know it's draining my battery when I don't.
That's strange, I park my car in my garage every night and never lock the doors. Just pull in, park, get out, shut the door and walk inside. Been doing that for 6 plus months. Never had an electrical/battery issue. I did read in a post once that if your keys are near the car overnight you could lose battery power because the car is constantly communicating with the key. Will need to check my battery when I get the flash recall done, but haven't noticed any issues. IMO the locking story is just an excuse from Landy.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, took car into dealer yesterday about the 3 min warning. He asked if I got the "recall notice", I say no. Checks car and says it's late enough in the production run so already has the "software update". They do a load test on the battery and it's bad. Replace -- in and out in 45 minutes. He said they see a number of Evoques coming in new with bad batteries because they have been run flat. Once that's done the battery (unless it's a deep cycle battery or a 50-50, which these are not) probably will never correctly recover.

·
Registered
251 Posts
When I wash my car I leave the keys about 25 feet away from the car. However, this results in the car locking it's self after about five minutes. Yesterday I placed the keys in the car,to prevent the problem, for about an hour. After I started the engine I got a very quick "low battery" message. This was the first and only time I have ever seen the message on either one of my Evoques.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally I believe the car only tries to actively communicate with the key if it's within range. Placing the key in the car and leaving it there is probably counter-productive. You want it as far away as possible. I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2012 Evogue and it has 27200 miles and so far I have had replaced the battery 3 times. The lasted a year and 3 days. I replaced the original battery in 10/12/2016 and replaced it with a NAPA AGM direct fit battery and that lasted 1 year and 3 days. My question is do we need to have the battery matched to the alternator by the dealer? I do this on my BMW's

·
Super Moderator
609 Posts
I'm not sure on MY12s, but if your Evoque is fitted with a Battery Monitoring System module, then yes, the Service Manual says it needs to be matched, just like BMWs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I mentioned, but from new, dealer tossed OEM battery on my 2013 dynamic and installed Interstate. Have had no problems since.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Charging System Fault

I had the RR Evoque since new. It has 27,200 miles. I had replaced the original battery 17 months ago with a NAPA AGM perfect fit battery for the Evoque. Now after 17 months the battery has died again and it was still under warranty so I got a replacement NAPA AGM battery.

After installing the new battery the car starts right away except now I have a Charging system fault warning and a washer fluid warning. I topped up the washer fluid but still get the message. I tested the battery it was at 12.7 volts before starting first thing in the morning after sitting all night. I then started the Evoque and when the A/C was on and all the lights on at idle it charges at 14.02 volts.

What else could be wrong?

Here is what the dealer had to say when I asked about the software update.

"In regards to your question, first I thank you for providing me the complete VIN as this is what I would need to research any and all open campaigns for this particular vehicle. Remember that when reading information online it gives you information in general and not specific to your vehicle.

For your vehicle specifically, I have checked the Land Rover system and see that there is only one open campaign which we will need to schedule. The campaign is for the Supplementary Restraint System warning lamp on, even if this lamp is not on at the time we will need to update the vehicle software for this concern.

In reference to the battery concern, it is highly recommended to use OEM battery or in your case you may also use compatible AC Delco. The thing is that prior to installing the battery it should be fully charged and the CCA should match the original (700-850CCA) as the vehicle is equipped with many electronics that need a battery that has good status charge and full-voltage.

The vehicle battery does not need to be registered with vehicle ECM as you have asked."

My Question:

I have been reading about the Evogue and get different answers from a software update to drive it and that will go away. Any ideas?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts