Evoque Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed that my car is very jerky while accelerating. At higher speeds such as on the highway it doesn't do it very often, but when I go start it up and take off it is very jerky. Same thing happens when I stop at lights or a stop sign. is Evoque 2012 39000 mile. do anybody know is that normal
Thanks

·
Registered
518 Posts
I say no, it's not normal. Take it in for service while it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have appoitment next Saturday. i believe LR will say "could not duplicate at thise time"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don’t know i assume is engine. when i drive and try to accelerate i fill in the seat car hesitate to pull bat stay in the same gear, on highway at 70 mph on cruise if i come to slow incline i filling car hesitate to maintain speed . feels like engine misfire .

·
Registered
335 Posts
Does sound like a misfire, a faulty MAF or leak in intake which would cause a balky , misfire. A bad coil would just be a shuddering dead feeling (truly down on power). Maybe wyou got some gas with water in it. That could also do it. Doesn't sound unlike the limp mode I experienced last month in heavy rain. Couldn't downshift and yet didn't have power to maintain speed on a moderate incline. All went away with a restart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've dealt with this problem pretty much since day 1 on my 2014. Dealership always says everything is proper and they can't duplicate the problem. It seems to be to be most noticeable when you're trying to be light on the gas pedal, when Turbo is not really producing any boost. I've thought it might be a faulty throttle position sensor, but no luck convincing the mechanics that there is anything wrong. Mine also seems to be more noticeable since the variable valve timing system issue. (I just posted a big thread on my bad history with my vehicle if you're interested)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Have you tried taking the issue to JLR North America?

·
Registered
24 Posts
To the OP, I hate to say it but I think you are experiencing "Life with Evoque". If your engine was misfiring it would immediately throw a code for sure, misfires trip emission codes. etc. My 2015 has run jerky since day one. Hesitates badly when trying to accelerate from dead stop. Press the gas nothing happens...wait for it, wait for it...then all of the sudden it lurches forward, somewhat dangerous when pulling out and makes you look like a boy racer. I just had it in the dealer for other problems that had multiple fault lights tripping (4x4 fault, ABS not working, etc.) and of course they couldn't replicate it but they did reflash my transmission ECU and now there is hesitation at higher speeds. I'm about 1 step from getting rid of this pos, it really is not very pleasurable to drive and very jerky... the built in delay is very frustrating. I did purchase a Sprint Booster and am going to install it soon, have been down ill but look for my Sprint Booster post under the Modifications forum as I'll post the results once I've finally installed it. Good luck with your issue and if you find a cure please post!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Life with Evoque isn't all that bad. You are correct that the transmissions are the weak link. The real weak link is trying to make a 3900 lb luxury SUV behave like an econo box. Let the motor run, its a sweet piece. Drop your foot and let the rpms build and the transmission is fabulous. Leave it in drive and its just plain sucks. At least drive it in sport mode and I bet a lot of your problems go away. BTW, in stop/go traffic always go to paddles to keep motor out of turbo spool zone. There is no built in delay. That's just silly. Its called turbo lag and if your transmission is performing properly it is actually very minor as the motor is on boost ~1800rpms!
I would call the acceleration Surgy esp if you leave it in drive.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Getting back to the OP. Try driving the vehicle routinely in sport transmission mode. Get the Q500 transmission reprogram done. It is actually getting to be pretty darn good now. It will always be lousy in drive transmission mode. Blame the great black hype and CAFE!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dealer was able to get me in today for Q500...what a noticeable difference. .no more "whiplash" affect. Now the not so good news...stop start feature not working...called dealer after I got home...they say they have seen that a few times ans have to reinstall the old software to get the stop start feature to work. Land Rover doesn't have a fix for that. Has anybody else had this problem after the update? So..I have to have jerkey acceleration just to get this feature back? Ugh!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Keep the update & forget the eco stop start!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'd ditch the stop start crap as you may save 1 gal/yr with it. Stupid concept. The weight loss without that junk would probably offset the gains with it...

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I purchased the vehicle..I too thought the idea was a stupid idea, but now it has grown on me. I do alot of stop start driving, very rarely have the opportunity to get on a highway. I wish they wouldn't break things when they go in to fix another problem.

·
Registered
518 Posts
When I purchased the vehicle..I too thought the idea was a stupid idea, but now it has grown on me. I do alot of stop start driving, very rarely have the opportunity to get on a highway. I wish they wouldn't break things when they go in to fix another problem.
You wouldn't like it when the eco stop turns the a/c off in the summer heat in Texas. Maybe it doesn't get as hot in your Colorado location.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Being a Lotus guy, I'd love to disable it and remove the secondary battery. Bet there is 20-40lbs of BS for that system.

BTW give it a few days. If the ignition is left on during the reprogramming, battery may be somewhat discharged. In that case, start/ stop is not supposed to work anyway. If you don't drive it for a week, you should have a Deltran battery tender for the car. I never cease to be amazed how long it takes to top off the cars batteries even after sitting only 2-3 days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
WooHoo...Eco is back on! I can understand how this feature would be troublesome if it turns off your air conditioning...I found that eco wouldn't turn off car if I had air conditioning running. I still find it annoying that the mechanics at the dealership are not familiar with the updates and battery issues. They wanted to keep my car for several days to reinstall the old software?

Thanks for input. Lovin' the Evoque!😆

·
Registered
335 Posts
Car will shut off with AC on, if car's climate is steady state. Glad to hear all is well. They're trying to deal with a transmission that has given the entire industry a headache. "Book should be titled "A Gear too Many"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts