Evoque Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Evoque Pure Sport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just purchased this 13 Evoque with 66k miles on it and it looks like the head unit isn't factory and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get Android Auto on it...it's got a built in Android system that doesn't work unless it has WiFi but supposedly supports regular Android Auto. I believe it's this exact model

Anyone have a similar deck?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is yours specifically the older hardware version?

Specification:
  • CPU: AC8227L Quad Core Cortex A9 1.6G Frequency
  • RAM: DDR3 2GB. Flash:32GB EMMC5.0
  • Resolution: 1280x480
The android 9 version can be found for half that listed price (eg. Direct from merryway) and would be a worthy upgrade. (That is the version I'm running)

What are the specific symptoms when you say "doesn't work without WiFi"?

For android auto, do you have any USB port or cable that seems to be hooked up to the android headunit?

With the latest hardware, i chose to not bother with android auto, and instead put a WiFi hotspot in the car and run everything natively on the headunit.

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Evoque Pure Sport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is yours specifically the older hardware version?

The android 9 version can be found for half that listed price (eg. Direct from merryway) and would be a worthy upgrade. (That is the version I'm running)

What are the specific symptoms when you say "doesn't work without WiFi"?

For android auto, do you have any USB port or cable that seems to be hooked up to the android headunit?

With the latest hardware, i chose to not bother with android auto, and instead put a WiFi hotspot in the car and run everything natively on the headunit.
So the unit I have runs 7.0 on 2gb of ram, I have to use a Hotspot to run any of it and it's just slow and clunky, like using an old tablet. Plus I've only got 15gb of hotspot so Spotify would eat that handily, the only USB ports I have are in the center console. One labeled USB the other iPod, none work with the head unit, the camera doesn't work properly, all the parking sensors don't work properly, half the buttons on the "original" side don't actually work. Just mode, bluetooth and phone work. So it's a completely pointless deck especially if it was 1500 new. I can't seem to find anything that tells me exactly what it is or how to upgrade it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm thinking "upgrade" would entail ripping out that unit and replacing with the latest hardware. It's all integrated like buying a new phone. Would probably be well worth it because the latest is very snappy and highly functional. I think they're about 800USD?

For reference, but i think a couple of places sell this now:

For factory functions on the old version, I think I remember seeing some others say that they need to tap a little lower than they thought to get original buttons to react properly. (haven't had that with mine). Sorry, I can't really help more with the older hardware. My parking sensors work fine, as do reverse camera and factory menu functions. I actually got an aftermarket 360 camera kit retrofitted, which works ok but still needs further calibration.

FWIW my installer put in a new dedicated USB port in the center cubby that I can use to interface with the unit, such as android auto over cable, or flash drive storage.

I'd also be curious for whether yours is hooked up with the original GPS antenna, which would work much much better than the aftermarket ones I've seen. For internet access, I've noticed you may get SSL errors because when you turn the car off it will lose the current time. The fix is using automatic Network Time, which you'd need a hotspot or put a SIM in the headunit. I don't recommend automatic GPS time because you won't get a signal underground. If you want to fiddle around with Android settings which are normally hidden, you can download an app like Hidden Settings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts