Evoque Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Evoque - Prestige - Scotia Grey Body - Suzuki Ice Matte Roof
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land Rover Ranger Rover USA Customer Service seems to be a little "lost" after multiple calls to them because the 2015 doesn't have an SD card slot in the 2015 model? Which seems very odd since it is THEIR car? LOL... You would think THEY would know how to update their own maps/navigation?! OY!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
What month was it manufactured? Early MY15, or the later 2015 face lift?
Does your model come with a DVD player?
One method of distribution is via a system update DVD which you may have to purchase online from an official supplier (expensive scam sites do exist, so verify first) . However, this is market dependent.

For example, there are no further updates available in AU/NZ since sometime around 2016. Yet i can see new update discs available in EU.

This is probably due to mapping service partnerships, etc.

In such cases where updates are not available (or in my opinion, even when they are available) you will be better served by an aftermarket head unit, such as for example a Merryway unit. There are multiple providers. It's best to compare and see what's suitable for your needs. I have been running a merryway unit for about 2 years now (MY15 Feb, before the face lift).

Whilst there are quirks to the running and integration of an aftermarket head unit (like everything else in life), it does allow you to do things like use Google maps or Sygic maps or apple maps. Either via android auto/carplay, or by running directly on the head unit as an android device itself (for units like merryway), depending on the kind of system. As well as all the other modern comforts of such a system (better responsiveness, voice assistant, larger screen, higher resolution, music apps).

For example: Running apps directly on the head unit (as oppose to android auto/ carplay) means you are no longer bound to your phones battery life, and don't run the risk of overheating your phone either, especially during charging!

But then app sessions are bound to your car and cannot come with you when you exit.
It depends what you want and what you need - you might want the session bound to your phone so you can continue usage after disconnecting from the car. Hot weather might preclude that because your phone will overheat (i experienced this before: poor reception + CPU demand + charging ->).

Those are my 3 cents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts