Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Noticed an oil burning smell the other day. Looked under the hood and didn't see anything noticeable. Checked under the car and saw that the skid plate under the engine/ transmission was coated in oil with noticeable wet spot dripping around one of the bolts. No spots on the garage floor so it's a very small/ slow leak.

Other issue is that the car wants to creep while stopped at lights. Almost feels like a misfire or the transmission is clicking into and out of gear. Only seems to happen when cold/ first few minutes after sitting.

Eco start/ stop is off. Car is in "D". Revs drop for a quick second (stumble/ misfire?).

Took it into the dealer two days ago and will report back with what they say. They are running behind and, as of yesterday morning, hadn't looked at it yet.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know! Also, how many miles do you have on your rig?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer called and said car is fixed. Oil leak was solved by replacing the oil pan for the transmission (he said, "pan", I'm thinking he meant oil pan gasket... ???)

Stumbling was solved by torquing / retorquing the engine mounts. There is supposedly a service bulletin about it.

Picking it up tomorrow and will verify whether or not the stumbling is gone.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hmmm, I hope the possible tranny/misfire issue is as simple as that. Looking forward to your cold test.

·
Super Moderator
569 Posts
Glad the oil leak was something simple. Although you wouldn't expect a bad gasket on
a brand new transmission, your second transmission, if memory serves. Usually a misfire
is caused by erratic fuel delivery, or erratic spark due to a faulty spark plug or coil,
or a vacuum leak. I would doubt a loose motor mount could cause a misfire.

If it were me, I would ask for a detailed technical explanation of how a motor mount caused
a misfire. Having said that, I hope you get you Evoque back and all is fine.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I believe he said "Almost feels like a misfire." I would certainly go with what the technitian said was the problem.
What, are you new to automobiles or are you an auto technician?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I believe he said "Almost feels like a misfire." I would certainly go with what the technitian said was the problem.
Correct. I don't know exactly how to describe what was happening, so "almost feels like a misfire" is about as close as I can get.

From the work order:

Leaking oil problem: "fluid pan defective" (yes, Rsquared, this was my second transmission in 5100 miles).

Stumbling: "engine mount alignment fault" "Incorrect positioning of engine mounts". "Perform engine and transmission mount alignment procedure found on Topix 303.1.

I've heard of Topix before but every time I go there, it seems like a dealer / shop only type of website.

I'm not ready to call it fixed as I'm too skeptical but I did not notice the stumbling/ misfire/ transmission thing after I picked it up or when went out to lunch.

They told me that if it was a misfire, there would have been a code stored- and there wasn't.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Correct. ..

They told me that if it was a misfire, there would have been a code stored- and there wasn't.
The 2 times mine threw codes, posted "New Code" and "Amber check engine", symptoms were minimal. Amber check engine post reflected a line of BS by the dealer's service advisor who re-set the code several times and sent me on my way before finally taking the vehicle in for service. The latest post, which was several months later "new code" was related to the first.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update for those interested.

Been driving the Evo since the fix. The stumbling/ creeping issue is 90% gone. Was going to post this the other day but it happened again- very slightly. Used to do it every day, every time. Now, just that once (maybe twice) since I got it back from the dealer.

Hoping it stays gone.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Considering it's your second tranny, did it do anything like this with the original or did this only start with the replacement transmission? Intermittent problems are hard to track down. Does it only happen when it has just been started and the drivetrain is cold? Have you tried driving around in sport mode to see if it makes a difference?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Considering it's your second tranny, did it do anything like this with the original or did this only start with the replacement transmission? Intermittent problems are hard to track down. Does it only happen when it has just been started and the drivetrain is cold? Have you tried driving around in sport mode to see if it makes a difference?
I don't remember it doing this with the other tranny, but it was only in for 200 miles. :) Also seemed like it slowly got worse over time. Considering the oil pan was leaking, perhaps it was a sign of low tranny fluid? Who knows...

It's only ever done it cold. Usually at the first few stops when I leave the house in the morning or right after I leave work.

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've tried it in S. Although it seems mostly gone, I'll have to try it over the next couple weeks and see what happens.

On that note, I have put the Evo in neutral at stop lights to see if I noticed it. I never noticed it in neutral but as you mentioned, intermittent problems are hard to track down.

·
Super Moderator
569 Posts
Thinking of the simple and basic first. Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid?
There is no way for an ordinary owner to check the transmission fluid level, as there is no transmission dip stick. BMW and Porsche have even done away with the engine oil dip stick, much to the
dismay of most owners.
Welcome to the future!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well... issue is still there. It used to happen every day without fail. After the "Fix" it didn't happen at all. Now it's happening AND seems to be doing it more frequently as time goes by. I wish whatever is causing it would break so the defective part would be obvious.

I also confirmed it happens in both D and S.

Definitely seems transmission related. When I put the car in neutral, I don't notice any stumbling etc. Another way to describe what's happening is that it's almost like the torque converter is catching for a second.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2015 model with less that 4k miles has the same issue, car wants to creep while stopped at lights and is vibrating erratically. It si most probably has something to do with the transmission.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agreed. I think it has to do with the transmission/ torque converter clutch. While it's still there, it *seems* a little less since I had the rear diff software reflashed/ reprogrammed.

My 2015 model with less that 4k miles has the same issue, car wants to creep while stopped at lights and is vibrating erratically. It si most probably has something to do with the transmission.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts