Evoque Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm looking to replace my current headlamp bulbs with LED ones but I'm confused as to what I should be looking for. How do I know what type of bulbs I have? Do I have HID? Xenon? 9005? H11? Sorry I just don't know this stuff and don't want to buy the wrong kind.

I have a 2012 Evoque, Dynamic Trim.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife also drives a 2012 Evoque (3 door Coupe), but hers is just the Pure Plus so it has plain old halogen bulbs in projector housings. If you still have the window sticker I am sure your Dynamic trim level came with better HID bulbs. Xenon bulbs are HID (high intensity discharge) bulbs except they have Xenon gas as opposed to other gases. Xenon bulbs claim to have no warm up time and are "instant on". However other HID bulbs take only seconds to warm up. Less time than it takes to back out of your driveway or pull out of a parking spot. Lastly Bi-Xenon just means that they are 1 level of brightness but is used for both High and Low beams because of the high beam flap that projector housings use.

On to the second part of the bulb, the base plug. 9005 and H11 are virtually the same base. 9005 is used for Halogen Bulbs and H11 is the term for HID bulbs. Although they can be physically plugged in to the same connector, they wont work wiring wise. This is why they make conversions. The only way to tell for sure would be to take the bulb out and see what is written on the bulb itself.

I just recently purchased these: ( https://www.xenonpro.com/9005-dual-beam-hi-low-beams-xenon-hid-headlights-kit ). I chose the 5000K temperature color, added the anti-flicker / warning canceller, and most importantly the 55 watt kit. Oregon roads are very dark in the winter and I would like her to have the brightest lights possible. This brings me to my final part. If you already have HID bulbs, don't change to LED. LED bulbs are designed to be put into halogen reflector style housings. Halogen and LED bulbs have a different light pattern than HID bulbs. Projector housings like ours are designed for HID bulbs to have the best light output. Going from HID to LED would be a step down in every way but lifespan and cost. If you want to upgrade your lights, order the 55 watt kit over your stock 35 watt ballasts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I took out my current bulbs and confirmed they are D3S HID bulbs. I will be upgrading to the Philips 6000k D3S bulbs in the near future.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts