Evoque Forums banner

Looking for real truth from real owners

15K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  3feverz 
#1 ·
So, I'm looking for a new SUV. I've narrowed it down to either the Evoque or the Acura MDX. I have spoken to mechanics, friends with car knowledge, and the guy I use for my car purchases, and everyone is steering me away from the Evoque. It's a cool looking SUV and it's my first choice. So, what's the truth guys. Is it a dud and will I regret my purchase, or will I be happy and satisfied. By the way, I'm looking at a used, low mileage 2012/2013 version. I may either drive it for 3 years and sell it, or sell it sooner. Also, how does it retail it's value?

Thanks so much

#2 ·
So far I have been very pleased. I purchased mine pre-owned as well. it is a 2012 Coupe and it had 14,900 miles when I purchased in June of last year. I have just shy of 32,000 miles now and I am very happy. I haven't spent any money for service other than oil changes and a set of tires.

Land Rover products have had a bad reputation for dependability in the past, which tends to linger on with anyone who hasn't checked out their products lately. This is not to say LR's don't have issues, they do, but so do other manufacturers. We just don't visit those forums so we don't hear about it. Looking at reasons people take their cars in for service; electronics seems to be one of the biggest issue in the last couple of years.

You will see service issues on the forum and there are a few lemons out there but for the most part I am pretty pleased with the low number of complaints reported and I am very pleased with my Coupe!

I too once thought LR's were expensive to service until I owned a Mini Cooper S! It pays to shop around for a good independent mechanic even for things like brakes, which every vehicle has to have serviced.

I have been driving Land Rovers since 2008 and have never been left stranded.

#3 ·
Are you in the UK? Move if you want good service on a LR product. I'm in the states, my Evoque is this family's 8th LR product and we have been happy with them all. But we have an amazing dealer. I bought mine new, 2013, it's been perfect. Despite the fact that I love our dealer, I looked at virtually everything else -- and they were ugly or not really... well, RR quality. This car has a ton of panache. I have Orkney Grey with the pursuit interior... and where else was I going to get that? Plus it has MagneRide, which is the best suspension in the known universe. Look, it has really great 4x4 manners and it's a kick-ass sports sedan. And... is it gorgeous?

#6 ·
The other thing to consider is the fact that the MDX and the Evoque are not comparable at all! The babyRR is a way smaller SUV than the MDX you are comparing it to! So you have to re visit your needs and go from there. Thats my 0.02cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Agreed. But the RDX is REALLY ugly and boring.

#9 ·
My wife drives ours 90% of the time and for the most part loves it, we have only had a few minor warranty issues and our biggest complaint has been the service writer's attitude. Bought as a demo with a whopping 67 miles on it, we now have just crossed 12k since August of '12. That said, I have never been happy with the ride of the Evoque. Given the short wheel base the vehicle tends to be very bouncy.

#11 ·
I've had mine now for two months exactly to this day. I am glad I went with my gut on this one (Pure Premium). My previous ride was a Toyota FJ Cruiser. That was a great, reliable vehicle, but I always thought Toyota could have done a better job on the interior. I also didn't need quite so extreme an off road vehicle. My main need for 4X4 is to go skiing. I live in the NW, and drive to Whistler often, and since the Olympics, the highway is pretty much freeway all the way, so FJ was overkill, and not so good gas mileage. What I really liked about it was it's torque and HP (470 and 430 respectively). I was hesitant about the four banger 2 liter in the Evoque, but driving it, being a much lighter vehicle, I can tell you it has more "pop" to it. I'm not driving in races, so top speed isn't too important to me. I tend to take good care of what I drive, so when it comes to trade in, I can get the best return. So I traded my FJ for the 2014 Evoque, and I have not regretted it one bit. I had one of the first FJ's in the town where I live. Now there are six or seven I see daily. Still only one Evoque though; mine. Prepare to spend more time getting gas, since people are going to ask you about it. Good luck. One tip, the 2014's have a nine speed auto gearbox. Much smoother shifting combined with the variable valve timing. The new RR Sport is styled like an Evoque, but is bigger and maybe a better comparison of the MDX. Good luck and enjoy the process. I'm still looking for any excuse to drive my Evoque.

#12 ·
have my evoque now for 3 weeks. Love it. I'm in the USA East Coast if that matters, and got it at Jaguar Land Rover Monmouth in NJ, excellent dealer with excellent service.

I've wanted to get one since 2012 but wasn't done paying off my Rogue. Now I got the 2014 and love every bit of it. Pure Plus Ipanema Sand.

#13 ·
I have a 2013 Evoke. I like it, but would not buy it if I had a do over. It has a very small back seat area. The storage space behind the back seat is also small. If you have to use an ez pass, it cannot be read thru the heated glass on the windshield & you have to find another place to put the pass. I am not crazy about the GPS. If you decided to get the Evoke, I strongly urge you to get the sensors in the side mirrors as I find the mirrors hard to adjust to a good position. My mirrors also tend to readjust themselves. I have had some difficulty w/the "sound not ready" feature. My dealer in Tacoma can't figure it out & just hopes it won't continue to occur. It does get good gas mileage, drives nicely, & looks good. Because of the voice not ready issues, I'm reluctant to take it out of town. I only have 8000 miles after 14 months. I am in the process of deciding to trade it, try to sell it myself or just put up with it.

#16 ·
I purchased my 2015 a couple of years ago with about 38k miles and it now has 51k. The only REAL problem I have had is the sunglass holder. There are a few rattles that are annoying and the door seals seem to make a creaking noise if I don't put some kind of vinyl conditioner on them regularly, but for the most part I have not had any issues. However I have an OBDII reader and it pulls several codes that are mostly intermittent issues. My biggest complaint is the ridiculous cost of the parts and the labor for any work performed at the dealer. But ultimately I love driving mine and it has been a good car so far. However based on what I have read I fully expect to have some issues with it in the next 50k miles. From what I have read the exhaust manifolds almost definitely will crack somewhere between 50-80k miles and to get that part you have to also buy the turbo so it isn't cheap.

Before I purchased this Evoque I test drove an Acura RDX and I really didn't like it at all. Everything about it was just vanilla (the looks, the handling, the interior). If I was going to go the safe route I would go with the king of reliability and get a Lexus or Toyota.

#17 ·
lets be honest, the turbo will die under 100,000 miles, in winter you will get 'battery messages'' my wife freaks out and demanded new battery, new one in, same messages in -30, and by the way no one I have asked knows
when the little battery is bad, no way to tell I think. my éco' stopped working, dealer said 'battery' HAH, same with new battery. wait for your 'tune up'' bill, HAH get a loan, it will cost you big time. would I buy another, no way,
dealer hear charges $150.00 an hour. robbery. back door fit is horrible, I have to slam my back hatch to close it, I've hit too many potholes and hinges are out of alignment again.

#18 ·
I haven't had a main battery issue, but the small battery/eco thing is a joke. When ECO stop/start stops working, they claim it is the small battery. But then when it is replaced it will work for a while but stop again. Then after 4 months of not working, it will do it one day.

My doors and hatch all fit fairly well, but I have an horrible noise problem with what I assume comes from the flex of the vehicle and the door seals. It sounds like crinkling plastic grocery bags...or maybe partially melted ice sloshing around inside of a cooler. I have had some success with putting something like 303 on the door seals but then it comes back and sometimes it doesn't seem to help. I'm not really sure what the cause is. But I've never owned a car that makes this noise.

The dealer here is about $130/hr I think. It is ridiculous. So far I have had good luck and I like driving mine, but I doubt I will ever by a JLR product again. My wife is looking for a vehicle right now and I am begging her to go with a Lexus NX or RX.

#19 ·
well, my evoque went back to dealer 5 times, they gave up, I finally found bad plug in inner front fender well driver side with salt damage, mine is 2015, just replaced cv joint $1,000.00 ,millage is 67,000 klms, back hatch does not close
properly, just replaced oxy sensor downstream, and I have heard turbo will only last 100,000 klms , poorly built. my dealer charges $150.00 an hour. hope someone runs a stop sign or steals it, too hard to sell.

#20 ·
Alternator needs replaced, but still charges...
Replace rear wheel bearing, but still side-to-side play in wheel. Will need to replace it again along with the hub.
Replace front left strut due to knocking... Now front right knocking.
Nose bearing went on the power transfer unit...
$1200 to rebuild it, $500 to take it out/put it in the car and $500 car rental for 2 weeks. Praying they preloaded the bearings properly!!
Had a rock crack my heated windshield..... $1000
Driving over hard-edge bumps creates a LOT of noise inside the car. Like everything with a fastener on it is loose... And a lot of plastic creaking. Drives me crazy.
Been looking at a 2019 Buick GS

#21 ·
I had small plasticy creaking/crackling sounds over every road imperfection. I found it it was mostly coming from the door seals. I went all around the door seals for all doors and rear hatch with 303 vinyl cleaner and then 303 vinyl protectant and it stopped it for a few moths. I had seen glowing reviews for a product called Gummi Pflege for this kind of problem. So when the noise returned I used it and it didn't seem to fix the problem. I went over everything with 303 and it went away again.

Do you have the adaptive damping? I just looked those up and they are $1000 for each strut!!

#23 ·
We have owned our 2015 since new, have had it now 5 years wit about 40k miles on it. Nothing major issues. Only complaint is the 9 speed transmission, it shifts hard from 4 to 5 when it is cold. The loaner, 2017 or 2016 model had the same issue. Too many gears for computers to handle. Engine is essentially 2.0 Ford Ecoboost and transmission German ZF. Rear diff comes from Sweden. It drives great and has plenty of power, ride is on the hard side. It is not a family car, trunk is small but rear seats backs can be lowered for more space.

#26 ·
I had 60k miles on mine when I traded it in. I bought it with 20k. No issues in the two years I had it. Only time it went to the dealer was for a differential which was replaced.

I traded mine in for the big body supercharged.

There’s no reason to go to the dealer to service this truck. It’s a Ford motor and the labor is cheap if you find a honest mechanic. Most like to rip people off based on seeing the RR badge. Parts can find be found for cheap after some digging on your part.

The dealer here charges $400 for an oil change. No matter if you have the Evoque, velar, sport, big body. Most people that have these cars don’t care but you can own these trucks without it costing an arm and leg.

I have a velar loaner now and it has the same creaks and rattles. The same vibration at idle. The sport and the big body do not have these issues. It must be the nature of the materials used in the Evoque and velar.

Btw the 2012 Evoque first gen still looks 90% the same as the new model Evoque. A great looking truck that can be had for a steal in the used car market.

#27 ·
I just remembered the truck was into the dealer for rattles and creaks as a warranty issue. They had replaced the whole headliner and sun glasses holder and some seat belts. The truck was rattling when I left after that repair. So there’s that.

Really the only fix is having the music up.

Speaking of the music the stock Meriden sound system is really good too.

#28 ·
2012 PURE purchased New in 2012. 47k miles to date.

items that failed: 1) Homelink and passenger lighted mirror sunvisor simultaneously died . . . NO fix to date. And it will need wire tracing to find defect in wire harness for "short". 2) Exhaust manifold crack resulting in high gas consumption . . . Dealer replaced under Warranty. 3) Battery Died . . . DIY Fix. 4) Replaced Items: Brakes Worn . . . DIY Fix, New Tires.
> This vehicle seems to be fairly reliable . . . so far . . . as everything else works as expected. I'm dreading the fuel pump and Turbo to go next.
When the Evoque came out . . . the design was stunning and I thought I'd get a more reliable Rover since still owning and driving a 1998 P38 Range Rover 4.0SE that is more of a higher maintenance, gas guzzler of a truck.

My suggestion is that if you are NOT a DIY, hands on guy . . . stay away from Range Rover . . . unless you are willing to spend $$$$

3fz

#30 ·
What everyone calls the "turbo failure" is actually the exhaust manifold failure. It usually cracks up near where it attaches to the head or internally down where it attaches to the actual "cartridge" of the turbo. It is referred to as a turbo failure because the exhaust manifold and turbo unit are sold as a unit (even though they are easily separated).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.