Evoque Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer says that the battery is fine but I keep getting this message when I turn off the car or before starting it. Any thoughts? (I'm thinking a bad connection but I thought the dealer would find it and fix but....nooooo)

·
Registered
89 Posts
What kind of runs are you doing in the car?
Depending on your geographical location, at this time of year due to climate, there can be more demand on the battery. If you are doing shorter runs, it may not be getting fully charged.

My advice would be to charge the battery fully using an appropriate charger, e.g. CTEK MXS 5.0 which is designed for AGM batteries, and has proved very effective on the Range Rover Evoque.
If you do this, remember to attach the negative lead from the charger to a suitable earth, not the negative battery terminal. Positive lead goes to positive terminal.

Reactions: Bshort0918

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. The dealer did charge the battery and I went two days without getting the dashboard message. But you are correct in that I'm doing mostly trips of under 5-10 miles only a few times a week. I did take one long trip of 60 miles of highway driving and as soon as I turned off the car the same message popped up. Which is why I suspect that it's a poor connection to whatever monitors the battery level. The car starts fine so this is just a bit of an annoyance issue at this point.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How old is the battery? If the car went 2 days without the message after the dealer fully charged it, I suspect that either the battery is not holding its charge or the car is just not charging it up enough. This could be either due to the usage it’s getting at the moment, or possibly a fault in the charging system.
Another possibility is that the battery is draining due to a fault of some sort.

Have you plugged anything in recently that could be draining the battery?

I would try getting the battery tested to rule out a problem with that as a first port of call. If the battery is sound, then it’s either just usage, or a fault in the electrical system somewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery checked out fine. Nothing new is plugged in. Car starts just fine but sometimes the tailgate doesn't open. If it was a fault in the electrical system I would think that the dealer would have discovered it. So I'm back to just putting up with it...someone earlier described a similar issue as an annoyance. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The tailgate issue you have mentioned is a classic symptom of a battery problem. The Evoque is quite fickle when it comes to batteries.
I am on another forum, Evoque Owners Club, and there are many posts regarding this very thing.
Almost always, a new battery cured the tailgate, low battery warnings, and a Myriad of other problems seemingly unconnected to the battery being past its best.
On one or two occasions, dealers have tested batteries and declared them OK when a new battery eventually solved the problems.
It might not be the solution for you, but just sharing information I’ve picked up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tailgate issue you have mentioned is a classic symptom of a battery problem. The Evoque is quite fickle when it comes to batteries.
I am on another forum, Evoque Owners Club, and there are many posts regarding this very thing.
Almost always, a new battery cured the tailgate, low battery warnings, and a Myriad of other problems seemingly unconnected to the battery being past its best.
On one or two occasions, dealers have tested batteries and declared them OK when a new battery eventually solved the problems.
It might not be the solution for you, but just sharing information I’ve picked up.
Thank you!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts