Evoque Forums banner

Manual Transmission Swap

11K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  eurojulien 
#1 ·
I'm interested in the 2016 Evoque but it must be a manual. Let me start off by saying I have experience in manual transmission swaps.

I understand the overseas diesels use a Getrag M66EH50 AWD manual transaxle, but there is extremely limited info on this box. The good news is that this means the unibody is designed for a manual, so pedal assemblies, shifter holes, etc. exist (at least overseas). Also, since it seems the same Auto box is used for the diesels & petrol engine overseas, I assume the bolt patterns of the M66EH50 should be identical to the 2.0L gas engine.

Where can I find the real service manuals for Evoques?
Will I be able to order overseas-only parts (transmission, pedal assembly, shifter assembly, etc.) through a US dealership?
The LR's "Si4" engine is identical to the Ford Ecoboost, right?
Is it externally or internally balanced?
Does the M66EH50 have the same AWD settings as the auto?

p.s. PLEASE do not respond with the merits of manual vs auto transmissions. I do not want to discuss that. My heart is set on a manual transmission and will not be changed. I'm looking for technical help. Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm interested in hearing about this journey. I'm sure your warranty for the whole car would be void but most dealerships. And the electronics might not be too happy with the control modules and their communication over the CAN bus. The LR's Si4 engine is likely the same as long as it's a 2.0liter as well. Most engines are balanced internally on their crankshaft I though.

#6 ·
I don't think there are any federal legality issues with swapping transmissions. They are more concerned with engines and complying with US smog standards and bodies/frames complying with US crash-test & airbag standards (why it's impossible to import Defenders). The reason Land Rover doesn't supply manual transmissions to the U.S. is not because it won't pass federal standards, but simply because they don't feel it will sell here in the US for it to be profitable. I've done several auto to manual swaps before and they pass New York State (one of the strictest states) inspections every year just fine.

So I found the gold mine where the factory service manual is kept:
https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm

For $8, I was able to view (and download - shhhh!) the auto and manual transmission sections for 1 hour (for a 2015). Here's some good news I found:
-The Terrain Response buttons work with the "Haldex" controller, which is attached to the rear differential, so swapping transmissions should not disturb this feature & those buttons can remain operational
-the "transfer case" a.k.a. Power Transfer Unit (the small angle gear that makes the trans AWD) seems to be the same part number for both the ZF 9HP48 auto and the Getrag M66EH50 manual (2.583 ratio)
-Here are the gear ratio differences between the 2 trannys:
Auto ZF 9HP48 Manual Getrag M66EH50
1st 4.713 3.750
2nd 2.842 1.905
3rd 1.909 1.182
4th 1.382 0.838
5th 1.00 0.652
6th 0.808 0.540
7th 0.699 -
8th 0.580 -
9th 0.480 -
Reverse 3.830 5.114

I'm a little concerned about the much smaller 1st gear on the manual - since this manual is ONLY designed for the 2.2L diesel engine, it's probably geared lower for a torquier engine - but the other gears seem to even out, so I don't think it's a deal breaker. What's odd is the reverse is higher.

From a very brief review of the installation & removal instructions, it appears everything is plug and play from what I can tell. The entire shifter assembly, with cables, appears to be one part, which is nice, and looks like it just swaps completely in for the electronic auto dial. The problem is, the Workshop manual doesn't have any part numbers or a separate parts manual - so I can't fully tell exactly which parts are different, but they seem to keep it pretty simple. None of the "direct" online OEM parts websites have any info on ordering these parts.

So, basically, my biggest question right now is whether or not I can order the M66EH50 transmission and all the parts (shifter assembly, pedal assembly, hydraulic clutch system) through a U.S. dealership. This will be the deal-maker/breaker for sure.

Still working....

#7 ·
Have you checked whether or not Canada gets a manual transmission option and if they did would you be able to purchase from there sense a manual isn't offered in the US?:confused:

#11 ·
6 years later reply. This swap seems very similar to the 6mt swap I did on my v70r. Funny enough they both have a TF80SC auto and go to the M66 Manual! In an effort to provide some forward momentum on this topic here are some answers and potential other questions.

- Parts should be sourced form a foreign junkyard that can sell the whole package and stick it on a pallet. I'd imagine you'd need trans, clutch, clutch hydraulics, pedal box, shifter/cables, and maybe front axles (?)

- Coding can be tricky. On my Volvo flashing the ECU to manual was easy as pie (done by tuner remotely) which made the car drive perfectly normal, however making the car think it's a manual involved coding the central electronics module, which is much more of a faff. I was able to drive the car by keeping the gear selector on top of the tf80sc set to neutral (removed from the trans, of course).

Really hope someone does this swap in europe and documents it. Without parts availability here (USA) it's a gamble ordering all the stuff, tossing it in just to find coding to be a bear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.