Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, unfortunately the problem that I describe in this thread

http://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/evoque-maintenance/478-argh-engine-problems-3500-miles.html

has reoccurred. My dealer has had my car since 5/25/2012.

I have been informed that they have escalated the problem to Land Rover and found that this is not an isolated problem with my car. Others have the issue, and it is known to LR. The scenario that seems common to cars having this problem is:

1) Car being driven for at least an hour
2) Weather is rainy or road is wet
3) Car is under heavy acceleration (e.g., downshift for highway pass) when problem manifests

It is not clear to me whether this problem is with US Evoques only, although I gather from reading this forum that folks in other countries have different engine programming than we do. Our programming has the Ford EcoBoost engine tuned for 240 H.P. If I understand correctly, other countries seem to have less (?)

My suspicion (as yet unconfirmed by LR) is that there is nothing wrong with the engine -- it's either the computer or one of the engine sensors (e.g., O2 sensor). When the car is restarted after the problem manifests, the car does not always register a problem. I was on a major highway when the problem occurred and the computer put me in a "limp" mode where it regulated my speed. When I stopped for gas and turned the engine back on, the computer let me drive normally. Maybe a sensor or some exposed wiring had dried enough to let me keep going?

I have been unofficially told that this fix would be a TSB for other drivers. No idea whether you guys would get it as a recall or they'd wait until your first service interval.

Anyway, I'm not having a great time with this ownership experience, but the dealer is trying to make things right. They have me borrowing a 2012 LR4 HSE while I wait to hear more on my car.

(shaking my head)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Epilogue....

Picked up my Evoque this morning.

The exact same three computer codes were thrown this time as last.

New diagnosis was water in seeping into the engine ignition area after prolonged driving in the wet.

Two new ignition coils in for Cylinders 1 & 3. Presumably the leak/water-tightness was also addressed, though the service advisor could not be detailed and explicit about exactly how.

LR has made this fix to numerous Evoques, but does not plan to issue a recall or a TSB at this time.

Good luck, all....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just happened to me, exactly as posted here:

3) Car is under heavy acceleration (e.g., downshift for highway pass)

Had to have the car towed because car self-limited speed and the engine light was on.

THIS WAS A SCARY EXPERIENCE ON THE HIGHWAY. (sorry for the caps web blog guy)

The dealership diagnosed next day the issue as moisture near cylinder #3 combined with heat of the nearby intercooler. I may not have translated the service-speak exactly right.

The service guy also advised that this is something LR knows about, but doesn't have a fix for yet. So what, no driving in the rain? The service guy does not have an answer for this.

FIX IT FAST PLEASE, THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. There is a Lemon Law where I live ... And, otherwise, I love this car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect that a lot more cars have this issue and they simply have not driven the car in these conditions and therefore have not had this happen personally.

To put it in non service speak this is a very fixable issue. I am not sure they fixed mine correctly (I have yet to drive in the rain for an hour to test) but the issue definitely CAN be fixed. It does not have anything to do with the relative location of the intercooler. It's not condensation, it's water literally leaking in. They can change the plug, change the coil, clean the cylinder, build it all back and re-seal it. They key is getting the re-seal perfect.

All I can suspect is that this is an assembly line issue where the robot screwed up the seal.

There are probably a ton of Evoques on the road with this problem. LR really needs to make this a TSB. I suspect that they consider the labor to rebuild the cylinder to be too costly to do a full TSB or recall just yet. Or, they are embarrassed at this sloppy build quality issue.

I crushed them for this on the new car survey documents -- they sent me 3 from different companies....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Obviously its not all EV. I drove mine home in a deluge from NJ to MD. It never flinched the whole way. Sporadic problems are the worst.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Happened to me yesterday. Exactly as previously described- Was driving 30 min at high speeds (60-70mph), road was wet. Have previously driven in these conditions with no problem several times. Accelerated rapidly and the car shuddered and the check engine light came on and the "restrictive mode" came on. Pulled off, shut down and re-started- no problems and has been fine at all speeds for 100 miles since. Will be in for routine service in 1 week- will have them look for faults. I asked the dealer about it yesterday, they claim they have "no idea" about this problem. As common as it seems, I doubt it....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
road was wet
I've been a bit worried about this issue and have been reading about it and have been cross posting over to the other forum. In the mean time I've been hesitant to drive my Evoque in the rain and I normally drive my truck to work anyway. The rain/wet, coils got wet, software was updated to Q203, or fuel system error all seem to be common to the discussions I've seen. With the rain issue, I'm particularly curious about the person in Houston that the dealer decided he had the wrong connector type (part number) going to the coil module and it was causing the misfiring. It made me think they possibly have a water intrusion issue if these connectors aren't moisture proof. I popped the engine cover off a couple of days ago and looked at those connectors and cannot tell much so I'd like to see what that person's connectors looked like before and after his dealer repair. It just sounds reasonable that water is getting to the top side of the engine when driving at highway speeds on a wet road and in the rain. Maybe these 4 connectors need to be moisture proof and have a boot on them for good measure.

Un-f**king-believable!

·
Registered
9 Posts
same here.

I had exacly same scenario.

on road about 4 hours, in intermittent HEAVY downpours. When I accellerated down an onramp, that's when it happened. Once it finally was out of the 'restricted performance mode', I was able to get it home (another 120 miles) with the check engine light on. Dealership is usually good, but I had to fight them to get them to go beyond resetting the check enging light. Right now they are still saying "bad gas".

Just happened to me, exactly as posted here:

3) Car is under heavy acceleration (e.g., downshift for highway pass)

Had to have the car towed because car self-limited speed and the engine light was on.

THIS WAS A SCARY EXPERIENCE ON THE HIGHWAY. (sorry for the caps web blog guy)

The dealership diagnosed next day the issue as moisture near cylinder #3 combined with heat of the nearby intercooler. I may not have translated the service-speak exactly right.

The service guy also advised that this is something LR knows about, but doesn't have a fix for yet. So what, no driving in the rain? The service guy does not have an answer for this.

FIX IT FAST PLEASE, THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. There is a Lemon Law where I live ... And, otherwise, I love this car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL. (At dealer's idiotic response, Not at your situation.)

Definitely NOT bad gas.

Several of us have had this issue now. I've personally had it twice. Not yet been in another downpour to test the fix, but a mechanic friend of mine tells me that what LR said they did shouldn't fix anything unless the coilpack itself was faulty and somehow not weatherproof. Given the G-D sun and heat on the US East Coast all summer I cannot re-test the issue.

Tell them you read on the internet that they need to replace the sparkplugs and coilpacks on Cylinders 1 & 3!! They'll love that! :)

Favor - after the fix, if you see on your receipt that the service they apply now officially has a Service Bulletin SSM #, please post to this website. I would like to make sure I get the "official" fix once they decide on it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
bad gas.

dealer is trying. I'll give an update when I know more. at least it was not returned, as today was a second scheduled return date.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had mine for 2 months now in NJ. I was driving in the city on Thursday when it started to pour. Keep in mind, this was in city driving and I had this problem. No check engine light but when I hit the gas, it would barely move, then would shoot up to 5000 RPM and had to back off the gas. Thought for sure I was going to get stranded. Took it to the dealer and was told they didn't know what was causing this. Sounds like a class action suit in the making.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dealer update

Well, official response from dealer is that 'LR is aware and the engineers are working on a solution'...but unofficially, do not drive it in heavy rain. Have to say dealer is doing a good job now of helping me. We are working through a lemon law and trade in through LR. No fights, dealer thinks situation sucks too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't get Gizmo wet, and don't feed him after midnight?

Okay, so the Evoque with a 2.0L Ecoboost Si4 engine is a gremlin. Not the car, but the cute fuzzy movie critter from the 1980's. Don't get it wet....

I've been reading most of the posts I come across where driving in heavy rain was mentioned with sort of a preparedness mindset (this hasn't happened to me but I want to be ready), and then there was always some repair such as a coil replacement. So I took a look at the engine and looked up around the coils and there is an area where if you poured water on top of the engine it might tend to hang out for a while. There is one drain hole at the right end of this recess and maybe heavier water accumulation can't drain quickly enough and maybe the coil packs are water resistant but not waterproof? I hope this isn't the problem, but if it is then maybe the LR engineers are looking at how heavier rain conditions get water to the top of the engine and are trying to figure out a new shroud design.

I've fully expected to see stories about the Ford Edge with the 2.0L Ecoboost engine having similar problems. I looked around and did see that the Edge has a larger shroud that looks like it might better defend from water being blown in the front grill and migrating to the top of the engine. There's a fairly good look at the Edge engine with and without their shroud in these videos:

Well, it's all simple speculation on my part at this point of course. If LR comes out with a recall kit or we start to see a different engine layout during their 2013 run it will likely be a bit obvious if the shroud or engine top-side layout changes significantly.

By the way, I also took note that there's a large round compressible sealing gasket on the underside of the hood/bonnet towards the windshield which would seem to prevent water on the windshield from possibly draining straight down onto the engine. The next time I wash and rinse my Evoque I think I'll take a look and see if any water ended up in that area on top of the engine and if that seal possibly leaks. I'm not going to just take the water hose and spray the engine with it off or running to try to prove anything, but in my mind if I get the reduced performance light while driving in the rain I'm thinking I'll find a parking garage or something quick and take a quick look (and maybe pictures) of what I find.

Still, just speculating out of boredom this morning...

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just back from dealer. I have only had the one episode prior, and today was in for an unrelated routine maint. but asked them to check it out. They cannot find any codes in the history other than a gas mixture code. They still say they are unaware of this problem. For now, having only had the one episode which resolved, I am comfortable driving the car, but I would like it better if the dealer was more aware of the problem, let alone able to fix it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1 Posts
This issue just happened to me last night after picking the range up from having injectors 1 and 3 replaced at 13km. On the way home in the pouring rain we felt the vehicle almost stall out after exiting the hwy. Check engine lights came on and limited performance shown on dash. After shutting down and re-starting vehicle no problems occurred. This issue has boggled my mind as our service department has not "heard" of this issue. They will soon find out

·
Registered
482 Posts
1 - 20 of 330 Posts