Evoque Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 evoque dynamic 2.0 gas/petrol: Recently had to have my turbocharger replaced due to 'internal failure' as diagnosed by the dealer.
800 miles and 3 weeks later the check engine light comes up reading p0026 , p0343 , p0299
p0026 intake valve control solenoid circuit range/performance bank 1
p 0343 camshaft position sensor A circuit range performance
and
p0299 turbo / super charger underboost

Took it back to the dealer and they claim it is unrelated to the turbocharger replacement. Which, for all I know, it might be.
They want to replace my fuel injectors for 2500$ ???

I've done research online and after looking through a manual on 2.0L GTDI I think I can easily replace the VVT variable valve timing solenoid intake and exhaust.
Would this fix my problem?
Is there another camshaft position sensor that would need to be replaced?
Could these issues lead to injector problems that the dealer is saying is the issue or are they just trying to find things to replace?
Could any of this have been caused by the turbo replacement?

Thanks in advance J

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out this is listed as
"A sensor ring is shrunk onto each camshaft and is used to determine the camshaft position. A CMP sensor, located in the camshaft cover above the sensor ring for each camshaft, senses the position of the camshaft and passes this information to the ECM."

Again, replace entire camshaft so that ring is in correct place? OR how do I get that ring back on there in the correct position. No one happens to have a picture of the position would they...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is also called a reluctor ring on the camshaft, and I full intend on using JB weld high temp paste and a hammer/leverage to stick the thing back in the correct position based on this diagram from Top!x

This thing set off the Camshaft position sensor , and stopped the VVT solenoid from functioning correctly and made my engine run poorly.
I am hoping that this problem caused my underperforming cylinders downstream
large (1).jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well there's my problem as to how that ring broke off.

116334481_488284798683319_5883978599446726699_n.jpg

And here is how I fixed it. I am NOT a welder lol

View attachment 4575

I matched the position of this ring to the position of the opposite side. Hopefully that little extra welding spot won't throw off the camshaft position sensor.... (y)
I spot welded it on the opposite side too so it wouldn't throw off the balance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended up not using the jb weld because it could have leeched out into the oil and engine. Putting it back together today I'll update later to see if the weld holds up

·
Registered
206 Posts
So you spot welded it in place? (that is what it looks like in the picture). Do you know how it is held in place from the factory? Is it an interference fit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It says in the workshop manual that the ring is heated, placed, and cooled. I placed two spot weld on it opposite sides to balance as best I could.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So I assume you would have to remove the cam to do that. Can you even buy that ring, or do you have to buy the entire cam?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have to buy a brand new cam if that ring was too damaged, but was able to take off the vacuum pump on the end and get the ring off intact except for the crack. Sanded and welded the ring in the shop, tapped it back into place. Matched the opposite CAM for position and then spot welded it there, rotated the engine so I could see the other side, and spot welded it again.

Update: car runs, no check engine light yet 🤞

·
Registered
206 Posts
Great fix! It will probably last longer than the ring on a new cam would have. I really need to learn to be a better welder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts