Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Some sad news that my new 2 door dynamic Evoque (US) passed away after just 10 days. The car ran like a champ and I actually put on 1500 miles within 10 days.

During one of these long traveling days, the car suddenly dropped from 70 to 40 mph in the fast lane and went into "restricted performance mode". This was flashing on the instrument panel, along with the check engine light.

I thought it might be bad gas or just a system hiccup. I went on the side of the road and shutdown the car, then refueled it at the next stop. On the way home later that night, however it happened again!

I had the car towed that night and service has no clue what the issue is! The computer codes were sent to corporate engineering with no answer after 14 days!!

The car is still in the shop and the dealer is trying to figure out if we can get money back, swap out for a new Evoque or get an older Sport.

Hate to share bad news. I love the car but to me, this is a major safety concern.

jls

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I hope it's just a one off fluke. Please keep us updated how the dealer fixes the situation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is the thing I don't get with Land Rover.Why do they take so long to do everything?

Here they have a chance to improve their brand and clear a historically bad reputation, yet they continue to stuff it up.

Sorry for the rant, however, even when I enquired online about a test drive, they phoned me 5 weeks later. By that time I had already placed my order. Never received the brochure they promised. Even simple enquiries get screwed up.

Wow, that feels better.
Sorry for your problems jls, keep us posted.
Maybe try calling LR head office personally to see if you can get things escalated. Remind them that their brand is on the line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi My Evoque has died too -- Just like described above. I have it on Video -- 3 versions back to back showing the Car Shutdown on the highway. IPhone was handy -- Very scary and dangerous to drive. It kills the throttle and you have no control. They tell me every time it rains theTurbo can get water in it. It was raining -- not when it died *** Not sure this is a good thing. 2 Door Black with all the options -- They gave me back the car and said I am on my own. So it begins -- expect club membership to all owners soon - I do not think this is just me -- 3200 miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
performance limited warning

Well I called LR and they told me that if my Evoque didn't still have the error there wasn't too much they could do. They advised me to drive it and if it happend again to call them and they would tow it in. It was raining and has been here for about a week so I am wondering if that had something to do with it, I sure hate that I purchased a 60k car that I might not be able to drive in the rain....

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
When the car shuts down -- and gets in this Mode -- you have to pull over -- re - start -- and take it back to dealer to get engine light turned off -- I am not sure we as owners realize the inconvience we can expect. Heads up - never fill the vehicle with gas while leaving the engine running *** it will set off the engine light. There is another issue you can expect ** the transmission will stick in second gear - about 15 - 25 seconds -- not shift -- no throtte -- either will kick in -- oryou have to pull over and restart. It has happened twice and once after a fix from RR -- still yet to get it on my IPhone -- I had a good friend with me during one episode ** we both just stared at the gear box and went what was that. We both said bring it back to the dealer -- I did -- they replaced the entire electronics for the shift --- which was good of them. It returned just before this Turbo problem. I want a new car -- If I keep going back with engine lights -- the better chances. This forum is where we as owners need to begin to get our vehicles. replaced with improved fixed ones.

So what did you all do to "reset" the car? Just turn off and turn on again?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello All,
Just as an update RR Corporate did not want to replace the car but the local dealership ate the cost and actually replaced the car for us. It took almost 3 weeks for this process but it is good to have a car back. I just hope this new one does not have the same issue.
RRR, look into lemon laws in your state. I am in MASS and it states that if the issue happens and it is in the shop for 15 cumulative days for the same issue, they have to replace. There should be documentation in the owners manual.
I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had the same problem a few times in rain and under heavy acceleration up and on ramp to an interstate highway in the USA ....scarey.

The computer has since been reprogrammed with the tech service bulletin update....we will see if it works next rain!

P

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jls I have had the same problem 4 times. In shop twice, they say no at Land Rover has any info on this problem or what causes it. I suggest we coordinate emails to all our dealers and Land Rover HQ. let me knw if you are interested.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can everyone please post the approximate mileage on your vehicle when this issue first occurred?

Turbo engines run hot. Note the vents on each corner of the hood - those aren't just decorative as they actually serve the purpose of allowing built up heat to escape the engine compartment.

My suspicion is after X amount of miles and heat cycles the silicon rubber spark plug seals are drying up, or even just shrinking, and allowing water to seep down between the plug and the head causing the coil to short or overload. This triggers a fault on that cylinder causing the computer to shut it down and force the engine into restricted mode due to the loss of that cylinder.

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
My theory of heat damage of the plug boots may or may not be completely valid since this issue seems to have occurred as early as 1500 miles. It could simply be moisture getting onto the coil pack connection (located on the very top of each plug assembly) and shorting it out.

Here are the mileages of first occurrence compiled from this thread thus far:
  • 1500 miles (JLS)
  • 3200 miles (RRR)
  • 6500 miles (SCFoley)
  • 8500 miles (EvoCurious)
Everything is pointing toward either poor wiring connection seals on the coil packs or spark plugs. With these low miles this is definitely an electrical issue, which RR is known for in past models, and not a mechanical one. And most electrical issues are caused either by bad grounding or moisture, both of which should throw an error code(s) the computer should capture. Testing and swapping out coil packs across cylinders should be the dealers first line of diagnosis.

Please post the error codes / descriptions listed on your repair invoices. If no codes are listed the dealer is definitely hiding something because all of your cars were forced into restrictive mode. This had to have thrown error codes.

Also, if at all possible, donot accept your car back from the service appointment unless they have clearly explained & documented the error codes they found in the system's memory, regardless of whether they were able to recreate the issue. This is your proof that an error event did occur and will be important when building your lemon law case, if needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me but it was a sunny day with very little rain the previous week. RR Bellevue are clueless right now. 3200 miles

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow, that's not good news. Sorry to hear it. Of course it could be just very high humidity too causing the issue. Any moisture at all that can creep into the coil wires or connections can cause a short. Today's engines use very high voltage coil packs which makes it all the more important for all ignition wiring seals to be of good quality.

Make sure you post the error codes that were thrown for everyone.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts