Evoque Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you use them ?
Whats the performance like ?
Is there a way to disengage them ? ( I had engaged them on my test drive without wanting to )
Are they available in both D &/or S mode only ?

I test drove one and not very familiar with paddle shifters in general and was wondering how it fells on the Evoque
( in general and compared to other ).

·
Registered
326 Posts
I only used them once, out of curiosity. I think off road they could be usefull.

Yes they work in D or S. This is my first vehicle with paddle shifters.

If I want a little sportier, I just use S, but not the paddle shifters.

Not sure if you can disengage them. Holding up shift for a few seconds puts it back out of paddle shift mode if you hit them not meaning to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like to use the paddle shifters to "enhance" the auto mode but rarely drive in full manual mode. For example, I will be cruising in D then drop a couple of gears to quickly pass or something.
When in S, using the paddles seems to put the tranny into manual mode and you have to hold the + for a few seconds for it to go back into auto S mode. But when in D and you use the paddles, it seems to go back into auto mode by itself after several seconds.

On a previous car with similar transmission, I would also use the paddle shifters in manual mode when in hilly terrain where the transmission would get confused and up/down shift at the wrong times. Being in manual mode let me hold the gears I wanted. I haven't driven the Evoque on similar roads yet so I'm not sure if I would do the same.

That previous one (Audi Tiptronic) worked a little better than the Evoque because the transmission had a separate position for manual mode so when using the paddles in S, I didn't have to turn manual mode off- it would revert back to auto by itself. The paddle clicks don't quite feel as good on the Evoque and it seems like the actual gear change response was a little bit faster in the Audi system as well (but still nowhere near a dual clutch system like DSG, PDK, etc.) I'm happy to have them, though. I hate the "manual" up/down using the shift levers on some automatic transmission cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts