Evoque Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you might all appreciate this. I decided to blackout some trim pieces on my Evoque. Went for Plasti-dip rattle-can as I've used it before. The front grill and side vents came out slightly textured because I did the initial coat too light, but the end result actually looks pretty good. The rear strip and lettering are smooth.
Before & after:
33414106763_852021199b_z.jpg

There's a complete gallery here if you're curious: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157682870935796/

Any questions, I'll answer them as best I can.

·
Super Moderator
590 Posts
Chrisell, Turned out very well, looks good.

I didn't care for the two tone silver on the front and rear bumpers. I sprayed the front tow hook cover and the center rear bumper section with black Plasti-Dip. The color and texture matches the lower black part of the bumper very well. Has been on almost on three years, and looks as good as when I first did it. Although, to be fair, the Evoque only does about 2000 miles a year, a grocery getter for the wife:).

Tried to follow your flicker link, but it said "Page Not Found".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's really easy. It's all in the preparation - clean everything, mask it well, then take a huge leap of faith and spray black plasti-dip on your bodywork :)
I found a thicker "wet" coat works better for a smooth application - not so much that it runs but enough to get a good coverage on the first spray.
I did 5 coats with 10 minutes between each.
Then let it dry for an hour and start peeling. Air temp when I did this was about 15 C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thought you might all appreciate this. I decided to blackout some trim pieces on my Evoque. Went for Plasti-dip rattle-can as I've used it before. The front grill and side vents came out slightly textured because I did the initial coat too light, but the end result actually looks pretty good. The rear strip and lettering are smooth.
Before & after:
View attachment 2473

There's a complete gallery here if you're curious: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157682870935796/

It looks great!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks really good. How did you do the lettering?
If you look through the album linked in the original post you'll see the photos of how it's done. Plasti-Dip (when done right) is great for stuff like this - you basically spray everything then peel the paint off the areas you don't want. As long as there is a panel line, join or cut line (like between the letters and bodywork) the Dip just peels off and self-cuts around the letters. So you mask off the whole area around the letters, spray a good layer of Dip on - I do 5 coats each with 20 minutes drying time. If you don't let it dry, or don't do enough coats, it doesn't congeal and allow the 'peeling' function to work and you end up with a mess.

This pic from the album shows me pulling the dip off the masked areas around the letters with it cutting around the letters on its own:
34067822782_a48879a50a_z.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
that looks terrific. I've been thinking of doing that myself. My '16 SE Premium already came with the gloss black grill and trim pieces. it's just the letters that aren't black.

but then, I'd need to do the wheels as well. Which look like they take quite a bit of work in preparation.

so, I've been avoiding it as I 1. haven't had time, and 2. figure that I'll futz it up and just make a mess of a good looking vehicle.

yours came out great!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cool thing is if you mess it up, just peel it all off and start over, or polish it up and the original look will be back. Bear in mind you'll get a slightly matt finish from this. If you want shiny black you need to add another step but I wanted the matt/textured finish.

Also - don't dip your wheels. It's damned complicated and the first time you go near a tyre-change, you'll need to peel it all off and re-do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Before & after:
[iurl="http://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2473&stc=1&d=1492975300"]
[/iurl]

Wow looks sick.

Wonder how this would look on black Rover ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts