Evoque Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just ordered the gloss black Range Rover lettering front and rear for my Fuji white with a black top.

I have the style 6 20" wheels, which I like the design. I however think gloss black would look much better.

I am thinking about having the style 6 wheels powder coated gloss black, which would look killer on the white Dynamic.

Question has any one every had a set of rims powder coated? If so how did they hold up? How about putting tires on and off the rim?

Has any one who bought rims that came powder coated, how did they hold up?

what do you think of my idea on powder coating these?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well most aftermarket rim shops powdercoat their stuff. And as long as they use a good job of it, it will hold up like the stock rims.
Had a set powdercoated in matt black and it lasted 3-4 years (till I sold the car). The only damage I experienced was from curb rash. (My fault thogh). Should be fine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information.

When I get back to the states I am going to investigate the cost further with the guy who powder coated all my custom motorcycle parts.

I'm thinking black would look good on the fuji white seeing my grill and trim is black too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's my base wheels on a dynamic powdercoated black with a machined lip. View attachment 248
That looks fantastic, saw it on the other thread also.

So those are powder coates, I do like that machined lip, just a little something to set them off.

Makes me want to do my style 6 20" rims even more now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Powder coating is great. Can be a bit pricey, but the results are second to none. It is extremely durable. I destroyed a 21" powder coated rim on a giant pothole last year. Dented the rim about 2 - 3" around the lip, near the spoke. Powder coating didn't even crack. I was pretty amazed.

I would advise not going gloss black. Satin finish is just the right amount of shine vs. matte look. Pure gloss just stands out way to much, for my taste anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Evoque.jpg Thanks to those on this Forum on posting pics and discussions on Wheels. I just got the wheels powder coated yesterday. Paid $360 for powder coating and $170 for Tire shop to take off tires, mount and balance again. Got it all done in about half a day. I haven't seen this wheel style in Gloss Black so I will post pic for anyone who is interested. I wasn't sure just how it would look with the center caps and non-black lug nuts but it looks fine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just had my summer wheels powder coated earlier this week. Can't wait til Spring to put them on the Evoque.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just plasti-dipped my stock OEM rims from silver to black. Looks awesome on my Fugi-White. For ~$60, it was an afternoon project and hopes to hold up for a while. THis will tell me if I want black rims permanently in the long run. Im already looking at trying my luck with the bumper and side decor. CHEAP alternative!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have these same rims, and am looking to do the same thing (black with machined lip) because I love the look. I have called so many places and they have told me that I cannot machine lip those rims because the lip is too flat and it will make my tires lose air if I machine the edge.
Can you tell me how you were able to do this?
It looks great, and Id love to be able to get the same look on my rims.
Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts