Evoque Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While washing our Evoque, I noticed the doors kept randomly locking and unlocking. I assumed it was because I had the key fob in my pocket and as I moved about I was inadvertently actuating the fob buttons.

After getting more annoyed with the constant actuating, I decided to take the fob out of my pocket and placed it on a step ladder next to the vehicle... which is when I discovered the locking/unlocking had nothing to do with the fob.

After some trial and error, I discovered the door handle lock/unlock sensor switches must not be sealed because when I got the door handles wet, the locks would actuate :mad:

This will be going back to the shop next week but wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this or if this is a known issue. If this is a design issue and "normal" I can't see the switches lasting very long; water intrusion into electronics inevitably leads to corrosion which kills electronics pretty quick...

/r

Allen

·
Registered
20 Posts
I release the interior hood latch when I wash my Evoque while the key is my pocket. This deactivates the autolocking function. I push down on the hood when I finish drying the Evoque.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I release the interior hood latch when I wash my Evoque while the key is my pocket. This deactivates the autolocking function. I push down on the hood when I finish drying the Evoque.
So before you started opening the hood while washing, did your vehicle also go nuts locking and unlocking when washing/rinsing the door handles? Curious if this is considered "normal" or at least typical...

/r

Allen

·
Registered
37 Posts
So before you started opening the hood while washing, did your vehicle also go nuts locking and unlocking when washing/rinsing the door handles? Curious if this is considered "normal" or at least typical.../rAllen
I'd say this is normal, my Evoque and my previous BMW's did the same thing. Leave the smart key in the car (or the hood open) and you won't have the problem..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the feedback!

I guess after this many years working with electronic components, I am very leery of these types of symptoms. I can't see how the switches will survive any length of time with the inevitable corrosion that water intrusion brings.

/r

Allen

·
Registered
373 Posts
WTF... First of all, just putting your fob on a ladder may still have left it too close to the car. I had this happen once. Took the fob out of my pocket and put it in the house. End of issue. Son had exactly the same issue with his new Jeep -- put fob in house... no issues. If this is happening with the fob in the house (not nearby) then you need to take your car in and get it fixed... otherwise a crook could splash a coke on the door and open your car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts