Evoque Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evoque Conv.jpeg

Whatcar? has someone close to the company that told them, "The Evoque Convertible now has the green light, it's going to be built." The concept car that we say at the Geneva Auto Salon in 2012 will be going into production in 2014. As it is understood, the car will retain all of the same options in the drive train as the fixed roof Evoque. Petrol and Diesel variants will be available, as well as 2 or 4 wheel drive. The top will apparently be a fabric based roof as opposed to a metal folding roof that has been prevalent in the BMW and Mercedes lines.

When the cabriolet was announced at the show, engineers stated that the frame would need no further modification with the absence of the roof. This means no more weight will have to be added to the chassis as in traditional convertible variant cars.

I am left to beg the question, "Just because you can remove the roof, should you?" I am all for a topless Jeep Wrangler, Ford Bronco, or a Blazer, but I think the mark is being missed a little here. According to Whatcar?, they are trying to position themselves in the market to compete with BMW 3 (and now 4) Series, and Audi TT(????) convertibles. The Evoque is not a sedan. It is a crossover SUV. I understand that the line there may be a blurry one, but the platforms are not the same. Target markets may be similar, but the car has different appeal. Buyers for the 3/4 Series and TT (More appropriately the A4 I think) convertible are not looking at a small SUV at all. They want a small, zippy little car. This is not what I think of when I think of Evoque. I think, and I may be crucified for this, that the Evoque surely drives like the new A4, but it is too large to be considered it's competition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Digging through some of the photos from the show, it looks like it had a manual gear box?!? Is that even a thing in the Evoque line? Euro spec perhaps? Correct me if I am wrong.

Evoque Shifter.jpeg

Edit: I did my due diligence, albeit after my post, and the 6 speed is available in the UK. Manual boxes are not even mentioned in the US.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I traded in a BMW Z4 on my 2 door Evoque Dynamic. I was considering an Audi S5 convertible, a BMW 3,4,6 series all in drop tops. I wanted something unique with two doors that gets decent gas mileage, is fun to drive and turns heads. I would definitely have considered the Evoque convertible if it were available at the time of my purchase. A retractible hardtop would be preferable over the cloth top.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In Australia the TD4 and SD4 models come in both manual and auto. The eD2 only comes in manual and the Si4 only comes in auto. So we get a great range of engines and transmissions, but we get less options on our cars and have to pay for basic options like GPS that should be standard across the range.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The convertible looks ghastly. This is an example of how wrong a good idea can go when marketing directed by focus groups takes the reins. Can you imagine driving the convertible through the woods and what a collection of creatures you'd obtain inside the convertible – don't do it here in South Louisiana. Without the top it looks like a design discarded when halfway done. The Mini can successfully transform to a convertible, not the RR Evoque.:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts