Evoque Forums banner

181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
2600 mile trip from CT to FL, and back. Averaged 24mpg for entire trip with a blend of 75 and 80 mph. At 75 I routinely get 25-26 mpg on highway with cruise set and very consistent. At 80mph mileage drops to ~23+mpg. This was precise calculation of several fillups. Realize the roads I was driving were pretty darn flat.
Also wind has a definite effect at these speeds. A tailwind is easily +1mpg and a headwind can be -2mpg.
Also that actual 25 mpg reads 27+ on computer, the 23mpg reads 25+mpg. Computer is routinely ~2.5mpg optimistic (~10%)so I just ignore it now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Also that actual 25 mpg reads 27+ on computer, the 23mpg reads 25+mpg. Computer is routinely ~2.5mpg optimistic (~10%)so I just ignore it now.
Thanks. That confirms my experience also. There's no reason for the computer to be that far off. 1-3% sure, but 7+% is crazy.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just did a long run 100+miles at 65mph. Guess what. Now you get ~28mpg. But you feel like you're crawling in the car. She handles speed so damn well!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just did a long run 100+miles at 65mph. Guess what. Now you get ~28mpg.
Was your ~28 reported by the computer or hand calculated? Also was it in both directions of where you went, because this has a huge impact if you are slightly downhill one way and don't notice it. I got 29 from my computer going slightly downhill that felt flat, but upon going back the same way it dropped to 24 and calculated by hand it was 2mpg less.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hand calculated on flat roads. Boring drive. Roundtrip. All I reported that for was to let you you know how LR got the 30mpg highway numbers. At 60 it probably is really close to 30 which is trolling at ~1250 rpms in 9th gear vibrating everything loose.
I think she does just fine esp considering LR has made more than its share of 12-14 mpg highway gas pigs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I drove one time for 240 miles at 60-65 and it still only got 25 mpg but get 24 mpg at 75. So I'm at a loss how you got 28 mpg while many other posters had the same as mine. Maybe it's that extra 2% ethonal in CA gas......

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm in CT and I'm always on cruise control. There is no way to get better mileage besides being an annoying hypermiler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've only put approximately 2000mi on since I've purchased, but i've been getting 21-22mpg almost all city (really suburban/rural roads i.e. 30-60mph). Avgerages were hand-calculated.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Land Rover is using the Evoque to deal with the abominable CAFE numbers that it is nowhere near being able to meet, thus the reason drive mode allows a turbo 4 cylinder motor to operate at 1200-1600 rpms with all its associated Noise/vibration/harmonics issues. So, yes , you can get mileage numbers out of an Evoque, but ask yourself, why did I buy a 40-60K luxury SUV if I have to deal with tranny issues compounded by an engine that does nothing well at the rpms it is being run at. If you pay attention , I'll bet you'll find 90% of the transmission issues happen below 2000rpms. The entire powerplant is quite sweet above 2000rpms but the tuning is SO bad, that even in sport mode you can't enjoy it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Land Rover is using the Evoque to deal with the abominable CAFE numbers that it is nowhere near being able to meet, thus the reason drive mode allows a turbo 4 cylinder motor to operate at 1200-1600 rpms with all its associated Noise/vibration/harmonics issues. So, yes , you can get mileage numbers out of an Evoque, but ask yourself, why did I buy a 40-60K luxury SUV if I have to deal with tranny issues compounded by an engine that does nothing well at the rpms it is being run at. If you pay attention , I'll bet you'll find 90% of the transmission issues happen below 2000rpms. The entire powerplant is quite sweet above 2000rpms but the tuning is SO bad, that even in sport mode you can't enjoy it.
That's why I use the paddle shifters in sport mode, unless I'm cruising on the interstate in drive. The paddle shifts are quick and sharp, unlike many cars that take too long for the paddle change and have a blunt effect. I replaced my plastic paddles with the red anodized metal shifters from Jaguar. Its a direct replacement. Gives a nice tactile feel and looks good. Thankfully I have a 6-speed Evoque, but it still lugs at low RPMs too often. The Ford motor is responsive when you allow it to come to life.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well said. My only issue is paddling 9 gears gets old quick but, I too, use the paddles to "CORRECT" the lousy programming, even in sport. Do you have a dynamic?? Is it schizophrenic in dynamic sport?? Will cruise control hold gears at 5000rpms???

·
Registered
215 Posts
I purchased my 2015 Evoque in Richmond, VA last week. It was filled up and I drove it home to Knoxville, TN with 100% interstate driving. The cruise was set most of the time on about 70-76. I was very happy with the 28.4mpg. However I filled up the next day and I have driven it to work a couple of times which is about 2 miles of city roads with 3 red lights, 8 miles of interstate, and about 4 miles of state highway with no stops. I haven't been driving it hard or anything, but I am only getting about 21mpg. I was hoping to get closer to 23-24.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but if you were reading those numbers off the computer, its at least 10% high so your 28.4 is really only 25.5

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but if you were reading those numbers off the computer, its at least 10% high so your 28.4 is really only 25.5

Yeah, I have noticed this. So 28.4 on the rod was probably more like 25...and the 21 I am getting in mixed driving is probably closer to 18 or 19. I noticed that when I fill up it is taking way more gas than it should if the computer readings were correct. The computer for my 2005 G35 were way off as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think every car I've ever owned, the computer reports 1-2mpg better than you actually get. I'm sure they do this on purpose, as few people bother to divide their miles by their fill-up gallons to actually figure it out- and it makes them feel better about their car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2017 2.0 Diesel 180BHP HSE 37 mpg urban, 43 mpg mixed motorway/urban. Couldn't agree more with AT grabbing keeping the revs below 2K. From what I remember low revs doesn't help with the oil circulation to the turbo too. They (car manufacturers) have an EU target for emissions and fuel consumption per cars sold. The Evoque is a big seller and the most 'green', that then leaves other vehicles to be more polluting without sending the manufacturer over the total CO2 produced/cars sold target.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2017 HSE Dynamic with 4,850 miles: "Trip A" not reset since delivery reads 26.8 MPG according to the on-board computer (not sure that's real world). Typical week is 104 surface street miles in light traffic comprised of four 26 mile round trips to the office and one 50 mile freeway round trip to and from the airport in light traffic. I've taken four 200+ mile trips of freeway driving in light traffic with 50-60 miles of off road driving between departure and return. The balance of my miles have been for misc errands almost all using surface streets. Anyway, I am thrilled with the mileage because its the first of the 12 new cars I've owned to exceed its EPA estimate.

181 - 200 of 214 Posts