1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nope;

no wear sensor on the evoque
the piston retractor tool needs to have three pins to engage the piston
The calipers look very different

I'd say that its too different for me to feel confident enough to follow those instructions

YMMV

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am planning to replace my brakes soon. I worked on my brakes earlier on my LR3 and I didn't have any problem when replacing them. However I didn't mess with the parking brake. Front brake on Evoque looks pretty simple like on every car. My concern is the rear brake, if I put parking brake in service mode (picture). Do I need any special tools to retract the brake cylinder or can I just squeeze it in. When I looked at the rear brake last time, it has electric wire connected to the parking brake. If we disconnect the cable would the parking brake be disabled and will I need to calibrate anything?Or should I just take the car to the shop and let them replace just the rear brakes.

pe5ymedu.jpg

·
Registered
89 Posts
You'll need a tool with 3 pins to turn and retract the piston, or you could do it with channel-loc pliers, but may damage the dust cover.
You will need to calibrate the parking brake but that is easy just depress the brake pedal and pull and hold the parking brake switch on the dash.
When I unhooked the electric cable I had to remove the parking brake actuator and back off the parking brake mechanism with a torn head driver. I did not have the instructions in your picture.

You can do this, it just takes a bit more thinking than the last brakes you changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dogscout - Have you changed the brakes on the Evoque? I ordered a 3-pin retract die from the UK this morning since they were not available in Michigan or anywhere in the United States.

My Land Rover dealer just called me and said that the only way to change the rear brakes is electronically. They use their computer to back out the rear piston. It seems hard to believe this is the only option.

UPDATE 11/3/14 - The rear brake piston is not threaded so you do nto need a 3-pin tool. Use a caliper piston tool (you can rent from the auto parts store) that uses the front of the caliper to compress.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I changed the rears on mine and had a piston come out. It was not hard to put back together and bleed, but it was a real hassle to have too. the electronic thing is just to back off the parking brake actuator with the computer. Following the deactivation instructions in the picture above should do the same thing they are doing with the computer "electronically" Once backed off I would disconnect/unplug the wiring connection JUST TO MAKE SURE.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I too would like to know where this piston retractor tool can be found. On another blog about obtaining this tool it was stated that your auto parts rental tools service doesn't have an equivalent tool. I've searched the internet without any success. I'd like to replace my Evoque's brake pads because of their noise and excessive dust and go to ceramic pads

·
Registered
6 Posts
The piston is not threaded so you will not need a 3 pin die. (I figured this out after ordering one from the U.K.) You will need to use a piston retractor tool (you can rent from the local auto parts store) that uses the front of the caliper to compress the piston. You cannot use a G clamp due to the plastic e-brake housing on the back of the caliper.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I now understand that the piston is not threaded, but the parking brake actuator has threads that force the piston outward. What will happen to the parking brake if you use the tool? When I did my rear brakes I ended up removing the parking brake motor and then turning the mechanism to back out the piston. Without turning the mechanism, will the tool still work? I believe that you have to turn the piston, or the mechanism to retract the piston.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, so now I am confused. My understanding was as follows

1) Use codes to "retract" parking brake
2) Use normal piston retraction tool
3) replace pads
4) use codes to "engage" parking brake

So as I understood there was no special tool needed. Am I incorrect?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just changed all my brake rotors and pads today without the dealer. The pricing from the dealer for parts and labour is much higher and I recommend that no one use the dealer.

Here's pictures and information about the rear that everyone should understand:

1) The vehicle must be in neutral.
2) The Emergency Brake must be released.
3) Engine and power off.
4) Any private shop can do it. You don't need any special tools or computer to retract the brake. In the picture circled in red is where the wiring is to control the brake. For people who don't know, the Evoque does not use rear brake shoes for the emergency brake like older Land Rovers. This has an electronic control that uses the rear brake caliper. You can just use a battery or battery charger that can supply constant 12V and you jumper in there and you will hear it working. You basically provide signal and power.

Then replace as normal for all other parts.
5). You will get an error that asks you to press the foot brake and then set the parking brake. You may need to do this a few times. It will calibrate. I did get a momentary EBC fault display when calibrating the parking brakes. Went away. Probably stored in memory but not a persistent code.

Drove the vehicle for a couple kilometres bedding the pads. Never stop and hold on the brake pads. Wore off the coating on the swept area of the rotor.

Came back. Tested the parking brake control and it was all good.

For rotors, pads and labour, cost about $550 all in. Where as the dealer quoted more like $2000+.

I also switched from the semi-metallic to ceramic pads to stop the insane dusting and the fast wear that everyone experiences (especially on the rear). The initial bite is about the same but there is a slight difference in the braking. Ceramic is not as aggressive with the stops. These should last much longer. No noise. I will give an update after 6 months and again after 12 months.

Before and After:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Distinct - you mentioned manually activating the parking brake with an external power source, but didn't mention how. What pins are what and the procedure to do it. I'm guessing this is to retract the pads? But then you have to do the opposite to push the parking brake back? Seems there's lots of bits of information but no real directions of how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
583 Posts
Distinct - you mentioned manually activating the parking brake with an external power source, but didn't mention how. What pins are what and the procedure to do it. I'm guessing this is to retract the pads? But then you have to do the opposite to push the parking brake back? Seems there's lots of bits of information but no real directions of how to do it.
There is no reason to fool around trying to supply voltage with an external power supply. Simply follow the instructions to deactivate/activate the EPB.

Look at post #6 on page one of this thread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is no reason to fool around trying to supply voltage with an external power supply. Simply follow the instructions to deactivate/activate the EPB.

Look at post #6 on page one of this thread.
Rsquared is right. I didn't have that information when we changed the brakes. Just use the instructions and/or bring it with you to a garage who hasn't worked with the Evoque.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts