Evoque Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 and had the dreaded turbo failure that most of these seem to have at some point. Mine failed just after the warranty was expired (around 51-52k). I purchased an aftermarket replacement with a cast iron manifold because I didn't want to spend $2000-$2500 for a LR one and then have the manifold crack again in 50k miles. Everything was good for about 9 months, but I was rarely driving it since I was now working from home. But a few months back I noticed I had an oil leak making a mess on the rear of the plastic panel the covers the bottom of the engine. I finally got around to checking it out when I changed the oil and I could tell it was coming from the turbo because there was oil dripping off of the bolt head of the oil return line and one of the coolant lines.

I thought it was possibly the upper oil supply line so I put new copper crush washers there, but it was still leaking. So I put some dye in the oil and cleaned everything real well, then put it on the lift and started the engine. After about 15 minutes I saw oil starting to run down that area where the clamp connects the manifold to the turbo cartridge. You first see it whee the red arrow is in the picture. It then runs down and then out on to the oil return line and then drips off of that. I am assuming it is the oil seal for the turbine shaft. The upper oil supply line to the turbo is completely dry. Does that sound right? Anything else it could be?

I'm hopping I can leave the manifold on and just take off the cartridge (the center part where the oil and coolant attaches and has the bearings and oil seals). This would mean I wouldn't have to remove the exhaust, downpipe, and drive shaft, which was the most annoying part of the replacement. Anyone ever done this? I have never seen just a cartridge for sale or even the cartridge with the turbo housing. It always comes complete. Should I just get it rebuilt by someone?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I contacted the company that sold me this turbo (Turbo Parts Canada) and he wanted me to check compression and the PCV system. The car runs fine and has no codes and I have no oil consumption issues, so I would be surprised if I have a problem with either. But he said if it is the turbo he would sell me a new CHRA/cartridge for $399 + s/h. Since it started leaking during the warranty but I didn't find the location until after the warranty, I had hoped he would offer a bit of a discount. I asked and all he offered was a discount on shipping. I ended up ordering a Melett CHRA from LRDirect.com. Hopefully I have better luck this time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I contacted the company that sold me this turbo (Turbo Parts Canada) and he wanted me to check compression and the PCV system. The car runs fine and has no codes and I have no oil consumption issues, so I would be surprised if I have a problem with either. But he said if it is the turbo he would sell me a new CHRA/cartridge for $399 + s/h. Since it started leaking during the warranty but I didn't find the location until after the warranty, I had hoped he would offer a bit of a discount. I asked and all he offered was a discount on shipping. I ended up ordering a Melett CHRA from LRDirect.com. Hopefully I have better luck this time.
Lemmy, it looks like we got the same turbo. You might remember, but you helped me with some questions last July when I replaced my turbo. Now, it looks like I have the same leak. Did your replacement part fix the issue? Also, when you first noticed the leak, do you remember if oil had been thrown around the right (passenger) side cover (I think where the timing belt is)?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had my car up on the lift when I received the new cartridge, but I never installed it because my backup car was having problems and I was busy getting it running again. Finally I decided the leak wasn't bad enough to be an emergency and just put it back on the road. I think I will wait until the next oil change or until it gets bad enough to start dripping on the ground. So I have not had a chance to install the new cartridge. Since you are having the same issue it makes me wonder about the quality of the Melett CHRA which are what the Turbo Parts Canada guy claims to be using. I'm now starting to think I should just buy a turbo for the Ford Escape (I have seen them for $500-$600) and pull off the exhaust manifold and compressor housing and use the new Borg Warner CHRA because I have been unable to track down a new one of those.

The leak was only where I show in that image and then it had dripped down directly below that. I did not notice any oil over near the right side of the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts