Evoque Forums banner

Retrofit or aftermarket GPS into non-navigation stereo possible?

12K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  HeartbreakRidge 
#1 ·
My wife just bought a 2013 Evoque, that she absolutely loves. The one thing she wants to do is put in an in-dash GPS. I know a retrofit (if even possible) would be expensive, but it would (hopefully) allow the use of the back-up camera and solve other compatibility issues. If that's not possible, an aftermarket in-dash would be my second choice. We both really dislike the "portable" garmin/Tom-Tom style GPS.

I know it would have been cheaper to get one factory installed, but we are past that point now. She needs a GPS (we have a special needs child that we travel all over the country for different therapies) and I'm ready to pay more than I should.

Any recommendations? Dealership or BestBuy maybe?

I'm sorry if it's one of those common questions (I see a lot of people don't like the Evoque nav system) but I haven't seen anything about changing what's in the dash.

My web searching is limited, because I'm currently in Afghanistan for a few months for work, and the internet is slower than dial-up. Most pages with pictures (or any video) won't load.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
There really is no aftermarket for audio/infotainment systems for the Evoque. One of my favorite places to go for electronics is Crutchfields, and they have nothing. If they don't have something, I would be willing to bet there is nothing that you will find that would not require something more custom or one of a kind type of installation. That could be very pricey. I also did a web search and found nothing else either. You might be better off going to land rover and have them upgrade the system for you with the factory unit. I did not know that you could get the Evoque without the Navigation system, at least not in the US. I am not sure where your home is (Europe/US). I thought there were only two options for infotainment, 380 Watt 11 speaker, or 825 Watt 17 speaker both of which came with navigation system. I went with the cheaper of the two systems, but it does everything I need it to and I have no problems with the navigation system.

I wish there was something else I could tell you. If it is that important, I would head back to the dealer and ask if they can put one of the other systems in for you. A custom job will cost you every bit as much since it will most likely be one of a kind. I found nothing regarding infotainment system swaps and upgrades for the Evoque on the web. There are stereo systems out there with navigation and screen inputs that would support the back up camera, but fitting it to the Evoque so that it does not mess up the look might be pretty difficult. It would not be something I would tackle myself on a weekend.

Rob

#3 ·
The Evoque is in Texas. The dealership called around and apparently putting the stock nav is "not possible"

I did find a custom shop in Austin that has done it once before and can handle it. Apparently it is ridiculously intensive. Over 1k in labor and they need the vehicle for 2-3 days. Probably need the camera replaced for one compatible with the nav system, but he assures a clean, stock look for everything.

I was up all night (in Kabul Afghanistan) with mapquest on my computer trying to talk my wife (via Skype) through downtown Austin (where she has never been) with our 4 yr old handicapped daughter trying to get to the hotel. I'll pay to keep from doing that again.

I still don't believe the stock Nav system can't be put in by LR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.