Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all, still seeking some answers that I am having with less than one month old Evoque... Anyone out there having the same issue that I have.. RPM between 1000 and 2000. Hitting a gas pedal in that range to speed up slowly, I feel like engine kinda shivering and feeling vibration on the gas pedal. It is like.. engine not pumping enough power to pull this heavy weight machinery.. I thought because engine was not heated enough in the cold weather but found it is happening no matter what..
I use Costco fuel, which may have alcohol content up to 10 % (per Costco sign).. is it because of this? It is like when u driving a manual shift, changing into a high gear early then it starts shivering..

·
Registered
373 Posts
I only use (when possible) Chevron with Techtron and it really works. Go on most motorcycle forums and they'll tell you the same. However, I really would get your car into the dealer as I believe the shift points on this engine (I am presuming USA car) are electronically controlled. Does it still do it if you drive in Sport mode?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have a 2012 with 10,000 miles and have noticed this since day one. I am not a mechanic but i think it is turbo lag. The turbo takes time to build boost and makes the engin seem like it is missing.

I am not sure about the fuel issue. The Evoque and the Ford edge share the same exact engine. The Ford edge doesn't require premium fuel. I run 93 octane from Mobil or BP stations.

Make sure you tell your dealer about any concers you have no matter how big or small. They keep a history on your vehicle and documenting issues will help in the long run.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My 2013 does not do this. Unlikely that it's normal. Turbo lag, I think, is only a factor when you step on it, I could be wrong. BTW, the reason I mentioned trying it in Sport mode is I read somewhere that the car starts off in 2nd gear, likely for MPG issues, and probably only in D mode.

·
Registered
251 Posts
FWIW. I have two Evoques. Ever since I had the power up grade both engines require more throttle angle to down shift simply because they are producing more torque at the lower RPM's. The subsequent "shuddering/vibration/sounds are the engine "lugging" as some call it. Laboring at the lower RPM to produce the torque without the down shift. The first time it happened it immediately got my wife's attention and caused her alarm. If this, is in fact what you are experiencing, and you're in drive mode simply down shift with the paddle switch or put your foot down a little further forcing an auto down shift. As you know in D (Drive) the transmission will stay in the paddle selected position for only several seconds and the revert back to normal "D". Of course I could be wrong!?

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, I went ahead and called my local dealer about this topic. They said bring it in and they will take a look at it. No real help....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Skywagon, has the correct answer. Dealer will find nothing wrong. Eng. is not downshifting to save fuel. BTW, Skywagon, what is the power upgrade??!! Are you referring to the new program to prevent lip mode after long periods of driving in the rain/ If so I was not aware it up'd any power? No intent to hyjack thread:D

·
Registered
373 Posts
That's why... the "real normal" driving mode is Sport, not Drive. Many cars are designed to do everything they can to get the MPG numbers up. Including starting off in 2nd gear. Which may be what you are experiencing. I had a C6 Corvette with a 2nd gear cut out (manual trans) so that when you started off you were forced to shift from 1st to third (after which you could use 2nd). It was all about MPG numbers. Even though I use my 2013 in Sport mode 90% of the time, I don't feel the lag you're describing in D. Maybe they changed the computer on later cars?

This about the Cayenne:

"According to Porsche the Cayenne's , when cold starting, run in 1st for a few seconds. This is programmed into
the transmission computer in order to "warm up" the catalytic converters faster within the first few seconds....

Once Cats are hot, then 2nd gear is the default gear for starting accelleration from stop... No matter how aggressive
you drive... 1st gear can only be select with "manual mode" or flicking tip button to downshift at stop..."

·
Registered
251 Posts
Red Rover,
Correct. After I got the update/fix the first thing I noticed was most of the turbo lag was gone. Then I notice a definite increase in power. I asked my service manager about it and he said the update did increase power but no number was assigned to it. I'd wager it's an increase of about 25HP. I never had the water ingestion problem or any limp mode experiences. And yes I have driven in heavy rain.
Scrannel,
I traded a Cayenne S for my wife's Evoque. You are correct about the first gear issue when cold. Of course the first gear is like a stump puller gear in a Cayenne. I also had a Mercedes E-55 AMG. In normal mode it used second gear at the start. It's all about MPG but more importantly emissions.
In my Evoque I use Sport around town and Drive on the highway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks All!
I tried in sport mode most of time then the issue turns out to be minimal. I do not know what is "POWER UPGRADE" and how we can do it in the US but certainly this is not a very pleasant feature sacrificing a little MPG number...I should wait till Evoque will be sold with Jaguar made engine. My dealer says it won't happen till 2015. Evoque is a very nice car, I have to admit, but it lacks some refinement like Germans. I traded in 2012 Mini Roadster and I hardly noticed any vibration on Mini steering wheel when it's in idle mode but now I do with Evoque. Mini was paid 30k and Evoque i paid $55k...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't know what the upgrade is unless it slightly alters the power delivery on the engine. Your dealer needs to get involved IMHO. My car is very smooth and I love driving it. And I came to it from a Big Range. BTW, Ford makes Jag engines. Remember? And they put that engine -- the AJ-V8 -- in Land Rovers too. My wife's sport has it. But my 2003 Range has a BMW V-8. I'm not sure about the newer, smaller displacement engines, but Jag has not designed and produced their own engine for many years.

Tata Motors Asks Ford for More Jaguar Engines - WSJ.com

"
Carl-Peter Forster, chief executive and managing director of Tata Motors's global operations, also said the company is working toward raising as much as $1 billion, though it hasn't yet decided on a time frame.

"The demand for Jaguar-Land Rover vehicles has exceeded our projections. We have asked Ford to supply more engines," Mr. Forster told reporters on the sidelines of the annual conference of the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers. "

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, went to RR dealer service and they said... its the torque converter that causing unpleasant feel on the gas pedal & kinda engine shuddering. My wife Audi 2.0 Turbo does not have that over 7 years...

·
Registered
373 Posts
well, went to RR dealer service and they said... its the torque converter that causing unpleasant feel on the gas pedal & kinda engine shuddering. My wife Audi 2.0 Turbo does not have that over 7 years...
Prana, where are you located? I'm presuming this is a usa petrol engine? Has you dealer suggested ANY solution? If your car is under warranty he is obligated to repair it. Torque converters can have issues, but they can also be repaired.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am here in Indiana and RR service said, nothing wrong with it.. but it happens during the first 30 min then it gets better.. I guess it is a minor glitch that I have to live with. Or should I say because it is made in England, not in Germany...? Well I had 2 BMW Mini, made in England that gave me such fun with no glitches... Evoque is a nice car (comfortable, classy) but not refined as I expected from over 50 K money spent..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a MY13, and experience the same thing. I do not recall feeling it in the MY12's that I test drove. This is not turbo lag (owned many turbo's in my day), but rather the car being mapped to use too high of a gear in order to increase fuel economy. Unless they remap it, you can downshift with the left paddle, drive in sport mode, or push harder on the accelerator. All of those actions tell the ECU to drop a gear or 2 to deliver on the torque request. There is nothing "wrong" with your car, it is simply how it is mapped. My assumption is that this was introduced when they created the software update to increase power output for the condensation/"limp-home" issue, as they would be trying to maintain fuel economy numbers....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Same2you,
Exactly, I had no "lugging" until I got the updates on my two Evoques. I'd wager the update re-mapped the engine but there was no update for the transmission in the package? There is nothing wrong with the cars. More throttle angle is required to down shift.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my question is finally answered! Many thanks! Your answer is much better than my dealer service...

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2012 Evoque is in the shop as we speak because is lugs at steady highway speeds of ~70. It feels like I'm taking my foot off the "clutch" of a manual shift - rather herky jerky. They are test driving it again today and say they need to escalate it to LR engineers for assistance. Dealer is in Sacramento. Come to think of it, mine started after the update in Dec. '13...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Finally got my car back, after a week of the tech trying this and that. Mid-week, he asked if he could drive my car home to see if he could duplicate the problem. He called me the next day to say he definitely felt the lag at highway speeds and was going to replace the fuel injectors and spark plugs. A couple of days later, he said it was only at 75% of being right, so was ordering new coils. They called on Saturday to say the car was done. Don't know if it's 100%, but they are done working on it! Got a bolt in the back tire somewhere in the service bay... but, that's another story...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts