Evoque Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a subscription to Car and Driver and they have this Article about how most new cars don't offer a traditional manual transmission. I wanted to know what everyone thinks about this and if they think people should know how to drive stick or if some cars should have stick shift? I know my first ride was a 1988 Ford F-150 with an inline six, 4X4 and a 5 speed manual. Although I had a few dirtbikes before I drove, so I kinda had the concept of a manual transmission down pat. But the point is a lot of cars made today are going more and more with the paddle shifting automated-manual gearboxes. I think it's a great Technology but some cars should come with a Traditional Manual Gearbox, and that's what I wanna know. Should you have the option or not? Is Technology taking over too much? Are we losing control of our own automobiles?

Look at Ferrari......that's a true sports car, and there's only 1 model right now that offers a manual trans and soon you won't be able to get it? Some cars should have to come with manuals in my opinion and I want to know what everyone is thinking on this matter. Thanks. AND SAVE THE MANUALS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love manuals. What I don't like is when you talk to a dealer about a manual (in a car that doesn't offer one) they all give you a line about how new autos are just as fuel efficient as manuals and can shift faster than a manual. I don't know who those are selling points for, but for me, the manual was all about control. I want personal control over the shifting; I don't want the car to do it for me, even if it really can do it better. Having said that, I am getting a US-spec Evoque, which doesn't offer a manual :eek:.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My wife and I both like Manuals. Until we bought the Evoque, at least one of our cars or trucks had a manual. The FJ Crusier we traded had a manaul, and we love it, it shifted so smooth. I would have loved a turbo diesel manual equipped Evoque.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Manual vehicles give the driver a richer and more connected driving experience in my opinion. Automatics have their place for the daily stop-and-go traffic grind though. Out of the 11 vehicles I've had, only 4 have been automatics. Nothing is more satisfying than a perfect heel-toe out of a turn ;) And no, paddle shifters don't count :p

·
Registered
482 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts