Evoque Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I've got a 2012 with 92,000 miles, it started losing coolant and engine was starting to make some squealing noises. Couldn't see anything standing out, but when I changed my oil there was a lot of coolant on the rock guard building up, hence no coolant on the ground. I looked at youtube and a bunch of forums but I did not find any "how to" on water pump replacement or belt for Evoques. There are a ton for the Ecoboost 2.0 engine, but Land Rover threw a couple curve balls on how they decided to do the belt system. Nice thing is you DO NOT have to raise or lower the engine to get the water pump out of the Evoque. I thought I did pictures but my camera turned out to be on its last legs so all the pictures were fuzzy...my apologies on that, but hopefully i can impart a quick "How to" while its fresh in my mind.

Tools needed: 8mm / 10mm / 17mm sockets and wrenches + extensions. 1/2" ratchet for tensioner, screw driver, trim removal tool if you have one. Small pry bar, hammer and at least a 16" length of metal or wood. ( I used my handle off my floor jack.) Lots of good light!!

The belt tensioner and water pump can be accessed from the passenger side wheel well. You do not have to remove both of the inner well plastic, just the front. To do this:

1. Jack up car and secure with jack stand.
2. Remove tire
3. Gently pull off the outer wheel well trim using trim removal tool or small screwdriver covered in tape. Be careful not to break the plastic tabs. If you do, they can be replaced
by getting new ones from auto parts store. I found that the Jeep ones are an exact match. The reason for removing the wheel trim is that the inner fender cover has a tab located
under the trim.
4. The inner fender cover has (3) plastic 10mm nuts (2) plastic phillips screws located on the inside, (1) attached to the fender (under the trim) and (1) located on the bottom
attached to the bumper. NOTE: the two phillips type screws located on the front wheel well don't attach to anything bodywise, but hold up a sensor (airbag?). When you remove
the two screws the sensor slides to the front bumper...easy to miss if you are not looking for it. Looks like an AM radio loop.
5. Remove the inner fender plastic.

You can now see the lower half of the engine and belt system. The belt tensioner is to the left (towards the firewall). The belt tensioner can be moved by inserting the 1/2" ratchet into the square hole. Rotate toward the front of the engine to loosen tension. HOWEVER! The fine folks at Land Rover decided to put the belt tensioner and pulley flush against the engine, so you can loosen the belt but you cannot remove! To do this you need too...

1. Remove the black plastic cover on the belt tensioner. I tried tried to pop it off but broke the plastic. I don't see the need for it, but it covers one of the two bolts holding the
assembly to the engine. Using a 10mm socket or wrench, unscrew the bolts about halfway out so you can slide the tensioner assembly away from the engine.
2. Loosen tension, pop belt off and you can twist the belt so you can slide it between the pulley and engine.
3. Remove belt from pulley system and install new belt if this is your goal.

But, if water pump removal is your goal, DO NOT remove belt first. If you are wanting to do water pump then do this:

1. Keep belt tensioned. I found that you can loosen the (3) 10mm bolts on the water pump pulley if you do this. A long 10mm wrench or small 1/4" ratchet works.
2. Go back remove belt.
3. Remove water pump pulley.
4. Water pump has (3) 8mm bolts. Two are easily seen, but the third is kinda goofy. Its sitting next to a bolt that is a timing cover bolt. A mirror helps...remove the bolts.
5. Tap the water pump from top and bottom until you can see it start to move. I'm not gonna lie, I fought this for 3 hours, as it just wouldn't pop out of the engine. I finally broke down and used a small pry bar to pull the pump away from the engine block...it didn't take much. So, looking back, I would tap the water pump until you see it move, then use a small pry bar to remove. (LOTS of coolant will come out...almost a gallon, so have a big tray underneath to catch or do this outside! )

Install new water pump, pump pulley( i used a small bolt in hole of the pully to wedge it against the pump to tighten the bolts) elt, refill coolant. I ran the engine for 1/2 hour with everything jacked up and plastic still off to double check for leaks. Put everything back together.
Don't forget that sensor!

Kinda down and dirty, but i hope it helps someone. Sorry about not having any pics.

old water pump The top hole on the pump was the difficult one to see... IMG_20201013_135537103.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops..totally forgot...after getting the belt back on rotate the engine using ratchet on crank pully on bottom just to set the belt in the grooves.....

·
Registered
223 Posts
oops..totally forgot...after getting the belt back on rotate the engine using ratchet on crank pully on bottom just to set the belt in the grooves.....

Thanks for the write up. I have had that wheel well off so many for various things (replacing front bumper camera, working on turbo, etc) and I always break at least of those blue plastic snappers that hold the trim on so I bought a bag of 50 for cheap on ebay.

I have a small coolant leak on that side, but no sound....hoping it isn't a water pump. Thankfully the job doesn't sound too bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts