Evoque Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got it in the mail yesterday. Engine Control Module Reflash. The recall addressing, "Limp Mode" in wet conditions, and hard acceleration. Anybody have this done yet? Good or bad for overall performance? Those in the know, please get the real info out on this ASAP.
Wouldn't it be great if we could get a service advisor, or Evoque engineers, to join this forum. I've been working on mine to join, but...

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is a post in the maintenance section titled "My Engine problem will become a Technical Service Bulletin" where there is a lot information regarding this issue. Basically water condensation seems to build up in the intercooler after driving in certain wet conditions, therefore causing the engine to misfire a cylinder and causing the car to go into "restricted performance mode". The software update is to allow the engine to continue to operate even after the misfire. Personally I have never had the issue happen to me, but it appears a lot of people have had some scary driving situations because of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had the service completed today and thought maybe from a standing start I didn't feel a slight lag I had felt before. Other than that one thing I can say that I think it performs the same as before the service. I had not had the problem, but from reading the maintenance section I did not want the problem to occur during a long trip we will be doing over the holidays.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick response. I know the lag, you refer to. It's like, if you don't want to go real fast, it will take off. But if you really hit it to take off drag style, there's the lag! Are you saying that's gone? And it still pulls good thru the gears? Sounds like I have to make appt. to get it done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I made a trip this morning to double check, and that lag is gone. I would get the lag by easing on the gas and then letting the gears shift while holding the gas constant. It now goes through the gears without any of the lagging.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yea i just got this recall yesterday in the mall. i havent notice this issue and im in Seattle where it rains all the time! just wondering if anybody has more input, thanks! I notice lag when i stomp on it...drag style but if its a gradually application it accelerates better..does this recall cover this issue or is it for the wet conditions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my SA notice on Friday and am scheduled for the "update" on Wednesday (12/26). I've had the misfortune of experiencing the persistent Restricted Performance issues and was seriously at the end of my rope (new cars shouldn't have problems right???). Hopefully the fix will be better than the engine light and the "BIG ORANGE TRIANGLE". I'll post feedback after.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the SA Q237 ECM reflash on Thursday morning with only 3100 miles on the odometer. The Evoque off the line in S and using the paddles is super quick with no turbo lag. I only had had one experience with limp mode last week. The temperature was cool, very foggy and raining in the morning. First time this happened after 3 months of ownership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and a yet-to-be Evoque owner (shopping around). This moisture in the intercooler issue is concerning to say the least. It sounds like LR has finally issued a software update to address the engine in restricted mode result. Nice but my concern is that the engineering/design issue still exists. Some parts redesign seem to be in order with recall/replacement. This is expensive -will LR do it? I'm not much of a mechanic but I assume moisture getting into a cylinder via the intercooler on a semi-regular basis is not a good thing. (i.e. even if the software change eliminates the restricted mode issue)

Does anyone know if the 2013 models have design fixes in place to truly eliminate the problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I havent experienced the moisture issue but have felt the lag. Ive had it to dealer three times in the past year to document it and have been told its operating normally. I will get the reflash after the holidays and see if the lag is gone. I hope so. I am an ASE Master tech with 23 years professional shop experience under my belt and it doesn't feel good when the dealer dismisses me and pretends there is no lag!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I've experienced the "Dismussive mode" at my dealer too. Like what limp mode problem(until I called him, with the recall notice), or the HD radio that sucks, keeps dropping signal, "what no we haven't heard of that". " Lag " what lag? That's why we really need an SA, on the board, like other forums have. To let us know what's really going on, anyone? Overall, I still really like though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ford F 150 pickup truck with the Ecoboost V6 is having the same issues with the intercooler condensation. Ford is trying to fiqure out why this is happening on the V6 and 2.0l. Most likely Land Rover North America is waiting for Ford to find a solution to the condensation problem. The Evoque 2.0l turbo engine comes from Ford as the Ecoboost 2.0l found in the 2013 Ford Focus and 2013 Ford Escape.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So if i wante to buy the ford focus st this would be a concerning problem???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had the Q237 Engine Re-flash done a couple of weeks ago since my engine had what some refer to a "Lag". I had this lag from day one since the end of October. The re-flash solved the lag problem for about 95% of the time in regular drive mode. I can still easily put it into a lag situation by carefully controlling my throttle when slowly accelerating or decelerating around the 1,200 RPM mark. Previously, the lag would easily occur compared to the Q237 recall Re-flash.

I do not believe that it has anything to do with the "Intercooler, or Turbo". I believe its strictly a software issue that the software engineers have miscalculated in programming when the automatic transmission gear choices are chosen by the software. You can easily get out of the lag by using the Paddle to go into 3rd gear from the 4th gear. In my Evoque it always occurred when the software had to choose between the two gears. I think the software engineers purposely tried to have the transmission stay in the higher gear so as to reduce gas consumption which in turn affected engine performance.

The software did not fix this issue in the winter driving mode. I have used the winter drive mode since our snowstorm last week. The engine performance is a real pain, its awful in winter mode. The transmission seems to be stuck in fourth gear around the 1,200 RPM mark, unless you step on the gas aggressively, which can put you in a dangerous situation in traffic.

Its a good thing that the paddles can override the gear choice that the software chooses as programmed by the engineers. Once you start using the paddles however, your stuck with continued use of the paddles when in winter mode as compared to regular mode where the automatic transmission kicks in when decelerating to a stop, then reverts to automatic mode.

Back to the dealer to see if the re-flash was properly done, and lodge a complaint to Land Rover if this lag issue was not solved for all drive modes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Almost got into an accident when traveling to Yosemite when the engine kicked into "limp mode" I had to cross 3 lanes of traffic at like 35 MPH.

The turbo lag is absolutely annoying to me so I'm going to schedule an appointment ASAP!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, Mother nature in its infinite wisdom decided to dump 45 CM of the white stuff onto Montreal. YES!, I said. Lets test out the famous 4 wheel drive. Well, well, the Evoque has earned its nettle and has performed to a tee. The best test I could offer was to go into an empty parking lot that was not cleaned. I sure had plenty of choice. Went to the cinema lot and drove through 2 ft. of un-plowed snow with a pure ice sub base. Nothing could stop it.

Left and right, 2 wheel front drive cars succumbed to winters test. Back and forth they swayed, out of this damn lot they hoped. Hope is all they got, stuck they were till help arrived. Other 4 wheelers struggled, but eventually forced through the snow at a snails pace. The Evoque did not produce one ounce of sweat, then again, -8 will cool anything down. I learned that the winter drive mode was engineered and perfected for deep snow on pavement. My insults to my Evoque in my previous post about less than stellar results on slightly slushed asphalt, are retracted. I apologized profusely to my Evoque. She accepted the apologies and has performed like a snow leopard thoroughly enjoying the snow. This car was made for adversity. She can take it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi! I had an accident on a new evoque and broke the radiator :( at first glance the intercooler looks fine, but have some dents, i tried to use soap water to look for leaks, nothing yet... and I cant feel any loss of power... can it become a issue??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts