Evoque Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I fitted the side tubes today , took me 40 min for the left one and 20 min for the right one. Wasn't very difficult. The downside was that i had to remove the front mud flaps in order to do it. He are some pics.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks nice, thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could you tell me how far these stick out? can they be used as steps and/or to prevent cars next to you from dinging your door as they will hit the bars first? Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Side tubes stay below lower sill covers and they are actually only useful if you're climbing uphill over a rocky mountain and hence the name rock sliders...

I'd rather prefer the side steps, really functional when there are kids or elderly inside, plenty of protection against lateral impacts and goods looks too...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks. We were looking for ones that do not stick out to far, but far enough that if someone opens their door to far next to you, they hit the rail rather than dinging our door.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the side tubes are only for bottom protection , they dont stick out and the cant be used as steps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Side tubes

Take out mudflap screws then the screws under the sill. These either pop out or unscrew when replacing just push in , open both doors then lift sill up from bottom gently popping the white plastic push ins at top of sill , lay sill on floor. S shaped bracket goes under car sill. Use small bolt and small brass insert large bolt and large insert goes front face of car sill after taking rubber grommets out you will see the hex shaped hole. This is a bit fiddly as you screw the nut on thread and try to keep everything in place. Once the brackets are in place put the sill back on don't pop on mark on plastic sill where the brackets are 65mm by 65mm cut piece out with jigsaw. Replace plastic sill on car popping studs back on , unscrew nut on bracket sliding the tube in on the underside tighten nut back up. Much easier if you can get a hand Screws back in mudflap. Job done

·
Registered
2 Posts
No don't know why that's there as the holes are hex shape and so are the inserts. The nut that goes on the bracket tightens everything up when put together

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installed the oem side tubes on my dynamic coupe. I wanted them to come out further like side steps would look, so I had steel extender machined and attached them to the supplied brackets. Came out great I love the look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All and this reply is especially to TinTin.. I am sorry to add this knowledge so late for such an old thread but I guess I should..

Tin Tin, if I didn't misunderstand, you installed your tubes without securing the rivet nuts with an appropriate pneumatic or manual tool beforehand, I must inform that this is really dangerous, maybe not to you while on the road but to the ones who are following behind, well it is true that when you tighten the nuts, the rivet nuts self-secure inside the hex holes but there is no guarantee that they have popped to the correct length behind the hex holes, especially the M8 ones on the sides require a serious amount of torque that one can hardly supply, since the rivet nuts fit flush into the hex holes, you may have thought that they have fully popped after a few turns only.

As side steps are my profession, I added the below photos to explain what I mean..

Rgds,
BK

evq_steps_fit_01.jpg

evq_steps_fit_02.jpg

evq_steps_fit_03.jpg

evq_steps_fit_04.jpg

evq_steps_fit_05.jpg

evq_steps_fit_06.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts