Evoque Forums banner

Staggered wheel fitment??

9K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  HotLap 
#1 ·
All, I would like to get your input on my thoughts for new wheels/tires on my 2015 Evoque Prestige. I'm looking at the Lexani CSS-8 in the Gloss Black Machined face combo, and was thinking of getting the 8.5 width for the fronts and the 10.0 width for the rears. I have had several German autos with the staggered wheels and really like the look. I've been assured that the 10" width will not create suspension interference and that most of the width difference will be on the inner edge (vs the outside edge) which is good as I'm not really a fan of tires sticking outside of wheel wells.

Here are the proposed wheel tire sizes:

Front: 8.5 x 20" wheel with 245/45/20 tires New Diameter: 28.7in / Circumference: 90.1in STOCK: Diameter 29.2in / Circumference: 91.7in
Rear: 10.0 x 20 wheel with 285/40/20 tires New Diameter: 29.0in / Circumference: 91.0in

Besides the obvious warranty warnings: w
1) Will diameter & circumference differences between front and rear wheel/tires impact the 4x4 function of the vehicle?
2) Will the diameter & circumference differences between STOCK and NEW impact the speedo readings significantly?
3) In case the staggered approach will not work, have any of you went with a 10" width rim, if so any issues? He has both sets 10.0" and 8.5" widths so he isn't trying to push the 10"s on me and claims he's fitted quite a few Evoques' with the 10" rims with no issues...

Thanks in advance for your consideration of the above questions, I appreciate any input I can get, don't want to get the wrong rims as once you mount them, you own them!

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't you currently have a 8.5 X 20 wheel on the dynamic? If so what size tire is currently on the stock rim?

#4 · (Edited)
Handling is quite good stock with the 20's. Range Rover has stayed a bit narrow with their tire selections for offroad performance and any performance besides dry basically. ONLY ADVANTAGE TO WIDTH IS ON A DRY ROAD. Also, big wide meats DO wander more. My concern would be going that wide in back my provoke more understeer than I'd certainly want. I love the way you can rotate the car in stock form. Before you go through all that expense, I'd just try the 285's on your stock wheels to see how it feels. You are obviously comparing the staggered fitment to BMW X5's or Mercedes with are rear biased AWD systems. The Evoque is basically a front driver Haldex type system so keep that in mind. You are also adding a lot of unsprung weight with those fat rims. Unless you have added power I don't think its going to feel better. People do a lot of REALLY stupid things in the name of looks. It may look good but I question the performance gains/losses! Tramming is a major concern.
Your assurances come from guys that WANT you to buy expensive parts that probably have little/no clue about vehicle dynamics. Finally the stock 20's are surprisingly light high quality wheels IMHO. Short of spending 5K on wheels , its going to be hard to match the quality, strength, weight ratios. You know range Rover expects these wheels to go an occasional nasty place so the last thing they want to deal with is an influx of bent wheels.

#9 ·
LOL, agreed as in the past I've had the four wheel rotation done and the vehicle started pulling to one side, dealer wanted to do an alignment (only 5K miles on new vehicle) I tole them no just put the wheels back where they were and all was fine after that!

#7 ·
Gents, all great points and I appreciate your feedback. It appears the staggered would work...but I certainly don't want the rear end feeling "squirrely" due to wider tires on the rear. The reason for the non - stock rims is that LR is waaaay too proud of the stock 20" rims (pricewise) and I really am not crazy about the looks either, whereas I do like the look of the 20" Lexani's. Keep in mind that this Evoque will never see off-roading - just not my thing so I'm not worried about damaging a rim...mainly want to upgrade to 20"s to decrease sidewall height both for better (stiffer) handling and looks. I've always opted for the sport handling and would like the RRE to be a bit more responsive in the handling dept. It is pretty good stock, but a bit stiffer would suit me just fine. I really think 9" rims would be the way to go, but the Lexani is only offered in the 8.5 or 10" widths. Anyone have firsthand experience with the 10" widths?

#11 ·
I repeat here, what happens when you go thru a compression on the highway or secondary road at 65-75 mph. That tire is going to massacre that black trim band protecting the fender flare. Its just plain poor engineering you see. Driveway bling only! Only Americans have fallen for this unacceptable tire setup phenom!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.