Evoque Forums banner

Starter Replacement

19K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  malenapowell1234 
#1 ·
This is my first post here.
We have a used 2013 Range Rover Evoque and it wont start. All we get is a click. The battery is good. Cant even jump it off if using another vehicle.

I think its the solenoid on the starter or the complete starter itself.

I want to take it off and test it.
I have done many mechanical things and this is not beyond me, I just want to prepare myself.

How hard of a job is this?

Will it come out better from the bottom or the top? Will the wheel have to be removed?

This is 4 cylinder gas turbo engine.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

If you want to PM me your e-mail address I can send you parts from the Factory Service Manual on the starter removal. I will warn you in advance, that the manual is all pictures with almost no verbiage. Not like any service manuals I have now, or had in the past. Don't know it is a British thing, or just Land Rover.

#6 ·
OK I took the starter off, tested it on the curb, worked fine, took it to advanced auto, worked fine. Put it back on, hoping that in the end it was just a loose wire, bolted it all up, triple checked everything, no crank.
So even though the battery was 12.8 V cold, I bought a new one cause I had a bmw once that did the same thing, but argh, was not the batter, so now I basically have a spare new battery.

Called land rover, spoke to tech, he said I did a lot of what he would have done, so they sent a truck to get it, he said that since its at 93,000 miles, its still under some kind of warranty, so they would look at it and see.

So I dunno. They may put a brand new starter on it and it fix it, or its some sensor that is beyond my tool bag.

#8 ·
did you check start fuse or fuseable link??. also take your starter wire off, hook it to a meter and have someone hit the start button, see if you get voltage when it tries to start. I doubt its a relay. most fuseable links are on top of the battery. I am out of town, and not in front of my evoque to take photos and show you what to look for.

#12 ·
In all my years of turning wrenches and checking electrical systems. I have maybe seen 1 relay gone bad and that was because of some half jacked wiring for a amp add in. Not saying it cant happen but just not something that normally does. Even in the High Voltage substations i work in. I cant say i have encountered a bad electromagnetic relay or logic chip actually gone out. Even in substations over 20 years old. They are usually pretty dependable in a ac/dc system.

#14 ·
Hi there. I'm now also having what appears to be the exact problem with my 2013 Evoque. Can you tell me what the solution was with your vehicle?
My mechanic just replaced starter and vehicle is still not cranking. They think it is a fuse problem but unsure if the fuse itself only needs to be replaced or the whole cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.