Evoque Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here.
We have a used 2013 Range Rover Evoque and it wont start. All we get is a click. The battery is good. Cant even jump it off if using another vehicle.

I think its the solenoid on the starter or the complete starter itself.

I want to take it off and test it.
I have done many mechanical things and this is not beyond me, I just want to prepare myself.

How hard of a job is this?

Will it come out better from the bottom or the top? Will the wheel have to be removed?

This is 4 cylinder gas turbo engine.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
560 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If you want to PM me your e-mail address I can send you parts from the Factory Service Manual on the starter removal. I will warn you in advance, that the manual is all pictures with almost no verbiage. Not like any service manuals I have now, or had in the past. Don't know it is a British thing, or just Land Rover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I will pm you. I just ordered a manual from ebay, but have yet to receive a download link to get the shop manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I took the starter off, tested it on the curb, worked fine, took it to advanced auto, worked fine. Put it back on, hoping that in the end it was just a loose wire, bolted it all up, triple checked everything, no crank.
So even though the battery was 12.8 V cold, I bought a new one cause I had a bmw once that did the same thing, but argh, was not the batter, so now I basically have a spare new battery.

Called land rover, spoke to tech, he said I did a lot of what he would have done, so they sent a truck to get it, he said that since its at 93,000 miles, its still under some kind of warranty, so they would look at it and see.

So I dunno. They may put a brand new starter on it and it fix it, or its some sensor that is beyond my tool bag.

·
Registered
23 Posts
did you check start fuse or fuseable link??. also take your starter wire off, hook it to a meter and have someone hit the start button, see if you get voltage when it tries to start. I doubt its a relay. most fuseable links are on top of the battery. I am out of town, and not in front of my evoque to take photos and show you what to look for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is still covered at 93,000 miles?

OK I took the starter off, tested it on the curb, worked fine, took it to advanced auto, worked fine. Put it back on, hoping that in the end it was just a loose wire, bolted it all up, triple checked everything, no crank.
So even though the battery was 12.8 V cold, I bought a new one cause I had a bmw once that did the same thing, but argh, was not the batter, so now I basically have a spare new battery.

Called land rover, spoke to tech, he said I did a lot of what he would have done, so they sent a truck to get it, he said that since its at 93,000 miles, its still under some kind of warranty, so they would look at it and see.

So I dunno. They may put a brand new starter on it and it fix it, or its some sensor that is beyond my tool bag.

·
Super Moderator
560 Posts
You are correct that there is a fusible link, and a starter fuse. However, looking at the schematic in the Factory Service Manual, there is also a "Relay-Starter R120". This relay provides battery to the winding of the starter solenoid. Bad relay, no solenoid operation, no stater motor operation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In all my years of turning wrenches and checking electrical systems. I have maybe seen 1 relay gone bad and that was because of some half jacked wiring for a amp add in. Not saying it cant happen but just not something that normally does. Even in the High Voltage substations i work in. I cant say i have encountered a bad electromagnetic relay or logic chip actually gone out. Even in substations over 20 years old. They are usually pretty dependable in a ac/dc system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts