Evoque Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I was just hoping to get your ideas the latest paint protection systems. In particular there seems to be a new quite innovative one called Xpel, which the detailers seem to be swooning over in terms of non yellowing, high quality protection etc.

Self Healing Paint Protection Film - XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection Film

The cost is quite high and so I wonder what your experience/thoughts are for these clear adhesive protectant films?
Thanks in advance.
Max.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What are they claiming that their system can protect your paint from? If they can guarantee that it will withstand a sharp rock hitting your paint at say 80mph and not causing any mark-able damage or from toxic bird droppings, sap and or small rust spots on your pure white paint, then I say it may be worth the cost.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had the film on my past five cars including the Evoque. I prefer to have the line of the film on my hood (when viewed from certain angles) opposed to having chip marks on my vehicle. Have not kept any of those vehicles more than 18 months but in my experience the product holds up well with good care. I believe prices range from $600 - $1,200 for a complete installed package.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have protective film on the wife's 2010 Limited 4Runner. Did that on day 1 of ownership. It has held up incredibly well - going on three years now. No visible defects or blemishes in the film. Unless you're right on top of the truck, you wouldn't know it's there. Living in the northeast, many towns and cities put "sand" and salt on the roads when things get icy. Put enough miles on in the winter and the front of the vehicle gets sandblasted. Hers still looks great and when we go to sell it at some point, the film peels off and below is fresh factory paint. Just did the paint film on the Evoque too. In my option a very worthwhile expenditure to protect my vehicles.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don't know if this is similar to the 3M protection stuff, but when I had my C6 (Corvette) owners on that forum swore by it. Application, however, was critical.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would suggest it depends on whether the cost reflects the value of protection. On all my vehicles, I claybar the vehicle and then apply Griot's Garage Paint Sealer with an orbital machine, followed later on with several coats of Best of Show Wax. I wax the cars a few times a year, and then clay them and re-apply the Sealer and re-wax at least annually. They get wiped down nightly with Speed Shine before they get dirty. That said, after off-road use, they do get washed by hand using specialty car soap and water. No car washes or machine washes. I'd say they probably see a few small chips over a year or two, and I take care of that with PaintScratch matching paint and special tipped applicators.

My concern over film is in the event of any significant damage having to deal with a body shop and stripping it. More of a headache.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try "plastidip". It is a rubberspray and it is easy to handle. Spray it on, either colored or neutral (as protection). If you don't like it, just take it away with your nails and thats it.
I use it as protection in the tranparent color and put some black rubber on my RRE silver Wintertyres.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts