Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Evoque often seems to be in the wrong gear. It doesn't downshift soon enough, which seems to create a strain on the engine. i routinely find myself using the paddle shifter to downshift. It is most noticeable in city driving at low speeds. No problem when accelerating fast. The car also doesn't disengage the transmission when coming to a stop until the last second (similar to what would happen if the clutch in a manual transmission was not depressed until the last second). Finally, the car vibrates when stopped with transmission in "D" as if it is trying to go when brake is on. Also vibrates when in "P". Is there a software update that will fix the downshifting problem?

·
Registered
68 Posts
My Evoque often seems to be in the wrong gear. It doesn't downshift soon enough, which seems to create a strain on the engine. i routinely find myself using the paddle shifter to downshift. It is most noticeable in city driving at low speeds. No problem when accelerating fast. The car also doesn't disengage the transmission when coming to a stop until the last second (similar to what would happen if the clutch in a manual transmission was not depressed until the last second). Finally, the car vibrates when stopped with transmission in "D" as if it is trying to go when brake is on. Also vibrates when in "P". Is there a software update that will fix the downshifting problem?
I have noticed the same conditions as mentioned but not the last two regarding the vibrations when in "D" stopped or in "P". Keep us informed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
you might have read my concerns on this problem.. same here.. I tried to engage in Sport mode in local roads to avoid this issue but I found myself driving 20 MPH in 4 th gear in Sport mode so had to turn into "D" mode. Very annoying.. Are we really care about high MPG in this car to sacrifice a decent driving fun?? I really hope LR resolve this issue..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vibration when in "park" is not a big deal, but the lugging is very disconcerting in a luxury vehicle. The vehicle simply does not downshift soon enough. I've tried running in "Sport" mode, and while that helps, it does not solve the problem. I'm surprised that more people haven't complained about it in this forum. Car and Driver Magazine (January, 2012) said the following: "the trans doesn’t like to downshift, meaning the driver has to toe deep into the throttle to find some boost. Dive too deep, though, and you’ll get a downshift that, paired with all that boost, jerks the car abruptly forward. We found it was easier to stomp hard on the gas to get a downshift and then feather the throttle to hold onto the lower gear while staying out of the boost. Not fun."

·
Registered
22 Posts
This issue was introduced with the software update that compensates for the issue were condensate accumulates in the intercooler in very specific situations (search for it... you will find a ton of posts from people left in dangerous situations because of a flaw in the Ford Ecoboost engine). JLR remapped the ECU to provide enough power for the car to not have to enter limp-home-mode if a cylinder is shut-down in the afore mentioned situation (as rare as it is for most people/climates). So, you are getting more power out of the engine than what you should (as most people that have had the car before and after the update will attest to). However, in a move that was likely done to maintain the fuel economy numbers, the shiftpoints are set too far to the Eco side of things. The only solutions (unless JLR were to revert back to the old ECU map, and solve the condensation issue in another way) is to push a little harder on the accelerator (the ECU will then drop a gear or 2 to meet the torque request), or to run in Sport Mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the very helpful explanation. I wish they would come up with a software fix that would re-set the shift points.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I believe our transmissions are adaptive, in other words they "learn" our driving technique. I recently had the dreaded dead battery. The battery never really went dead but I think they disconnected it at the dealer. The first thing I noticed was the transmissin shifting differently. Perhaps disconnecting the battery will clear out transmissions memory? Just a thought!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I believe our transmissions are adaptive, in other words they "learn" our driving technique. I recently had the dreaded dead battery. The battery never really went dead but I think they disconnected it at the dealer. The first thing I noticed was the transmissin shifting differently. Perhaps disconnecting the battery will clear out transmissions memory? Just a thought!
Good point. Many transmission apparently are adaptive these days. Which is why transmission faults can be cause by a battery that's not getting a proper charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is interesting. I haven't had the software update to address the condensation issue. Which is the lesser of the two problems? I've had my Evoque for about 6 months now and haven't experienced the intercooler issue but I guess the odds will increase as we move into warmer weather up here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
my friend works as a mechanic at land rover dealership and he told me there is a gear software update; once you get the update, your transmission should run more smoothly. did anybody get this update yet? any difference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took my car in for the annual inspection/service (8,000 miles on a 2012) and they remapped the ECU. (I started this thread.) The car seems to run better and downshift more readily at low speeds (my original complaint). Don't know if the ECU software has anything to do with shifting (the software update is supposed to address an intercooler issue) or whether it is just my imagination that the gear shifting is better. I assume the recent post about a "gear software update" is referring to the same ECU software update, since that was the only update my dealer was aware of.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I got the ECU update but don't know if the transmission update was part of it. My transmission, if anything, seems to intemittently stay in gear too long. For a couple of days I drove around town in "Sport" mode and used the paddle shifters exclusively. When in "Sport" you can lock the car in a particular gear. Using the paddles in drive works too but the car will revert back to drive in about 5 seconds. Regardless, I may have had some success in retraining the transmission because it seems to be up-shifting properly now. Another technique I've used to get it to upshift is reducing the throttle angle, taking my foot off the gas pedal to an extent so the car thinks it's reached it's cruse speed and it upshifts. Stinking computers!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
clutch plates are probably slipping during a gear change. There's only one gear for reverse, so the transmission shouldn't have a huge problem there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
my friend works as a mechanic at land rover dealership and he told me there is a gear software update; once you get the update, your transmission should run more smoothly. did anybody get this update yet? any difference?
I received the software update in August. Dramatic difference for the better. This is my third software update. Each update corrects the lugging to a certain extent. However, it still lugs between 1,000 & 1,200 RPM. Hoping for another update before winter kicks in since lower driving speeds, therefore more lugging effect will be more pronounced. The Rover engineers screwed this one up pretty badly. Sixty grand and a sub par driving experience just to save a few bucks on fuel. What were they thinking?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I received the software update in August. Dramatic difference for the better. This is my third software update. Each update corrects the lugging to a certain extent. However, it still lugs between 1,000 & 1,200 RPM. Hoping for another update before winter kicks in since lower driving speeds, therefore more lugging effect will be more pronounced. The Rover engineers screwed this one up pretty badly. Sixty grand and a sub par driving experience just to save a few bucks on fuel. What were they thinking?
Couldn't agree more. Lugging at low speeds is unthinkable in a luxury vehicle. I would expect more owners to be furious about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got my car back from its first service. This included both the Q255 recall and a Q261D campaign. The transmission performance seems crisper. I no longer feel the lugging that was so common before. A clear improvement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the updates and the new "eco" mode of the transmission shift points have removed all fun from the car. The "lugging" has become unbearable and I have sold my once beloved Evoque after only 6 months. I spent months reading and building up to purchase my Evoque (my most expensive auto ever). Having to manually shift or almost floor the gas to beg for a gear change combined with the horrible dealer experience from Land Rover of Chattanooga was more than I could stand. I sold it and lost $1,100.00 (which was not bad from what I can tell) and purchased a pre-owned 2012 Acura RDX. No it is not to the same level but it do for now and was $13,000 less and is much more fun to drive. I don't know if I will ever consider any Land Rover/ Range Rover ever again. This thing was almost $50K, looked beautiful but drove like a worn out camry.
I may go drive the 2014 with the new 9 speed transmission just to see if there has been any improvement but I don't know if I can ever trust the brand again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts