Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First trip with tolls last weekend. Kept getting yellow light even though transponder was in clear area (but below blacked out area). Worked fine when held up to sunroof. On way home I positioned it high , right up against top frame. Worked every time after that. I was avoiding the black dotted area when being that high is exactly where it needs to be. And yes, it is adynamic with the heated windshield!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mine has the heated windshield also and I mounted my EZ Tag behind the rear view mirror so when in the driver's seat I don't see it. I've never had a problem with tag detection.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Some windshields don't have the spot for the EZ-Pass tag, I had to get an externally mounted one in my front license plate. You can exchange the transponder one for free at any EZ-Pass office.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Starting with 2013 or 2014 models, the heated windshield has a place to place the EZ-Pass tag. Earlier models did not have this, therefore requiring you to mount externally.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it. Yet even on heated windshields, you can see that weave in the "cleared out areas. Mine did not work till I placed it at top edge up in the blacked out area.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just spoke with EZpass MA customer care. They told me that the transponder does not work with heated windshields and told me to order a external one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I changed mine to an external transponder when I bought the Evoque. A great mounting position is right behind the grille on the right hand side, you don't even know it's there unless you're really looking for it and I haven't had any missed transponder reads yet! Grille is easy enough to remove with just a phillips screwdriver but you'll need a couple of long'ish bolts (and corresponding nuts) to mount it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update. Mounted to top edge it works fine in Mass and NH. Now it doesn't work in Maine. How can Land Rover be so [email protected]@@in stupid?? Before I go external, (like the portability for the several vehicles I drive) I may try putting on sunroof inside, say at left edge. Roving Ric, please take a pic and show me where you are getting success. Funny how it worked in Maine in June but not Mass or NH, now it works in Mass and NH but not Maine.

Looked at it again. Funny how EZpass tells you to mount away from darker areas, yet upon closer inspection, I have mine mounted a bit to left side of opening (still completely in the clear with minimal part of transmitter in the darker part of glass at top edge and behind rearview mirror), yet the mounting area is indeed well into the black blockout area behind the rear view mirror as Roving Ric describes. Guess we'll try it moved further right next time.Would have been nice if it was on right but guess the right hand driver's get the advantage on this one.

Real problem is tolls in general. Unfair taxation system. Gas tax affects every driver based on usage, tolls affect only drivers on a few roads. Not to mention congestion, danger, emissions etc they cause

·
Registered
518 Posts
This shows where my ez tag and radar detector are mounted.

ez and radar location.jpg

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I am confused. Your tag isn't even located in transponder designated area. IS THAT A TRANSPONDER OR JUST A TAG THAT GETS READ?? DOESN'T LOOK LIKE AN ELECTRONIC DEVICE TO ME. Also that photo doesn't show the little squiggles you usually see in windshield. Might just be resolution of camera.

han't thought about detector. Might explain why it never went off last trip even when i drove by cop or they pulled out in front of me to catch someone!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I believe it sends a signal, but I could be wrong. I've taken an old one apart & and there's a chip & a thin piece of coiled metal inside. It is called an EZ TAG.

My radar detector saves me on a regular basis, alerting me way before I ever see the cop with radar. With Laser I can only hope he points it at someone else before he points at me. The last ticket I received was laser and my detector told me so. Cop was in a black Taurus on a side street. HPD doesn't drive all black vehicles & they don't drive the Ford Taurus!

Oh, the squiggly lines are there in the windshield.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought a month pass at my local car wash. You get a little sticker on your windshield that a box at the gate is supposed to scan and receive. I've tried it in the tint cut-out spot, just on the upper left, and on the far lower left in an area where there are no windshield heater wires. None of those locations work. Am I outta' luck? the guys at the car wash said that I'm the only customer with a land rover and they don't usually see this problem. It says "EZ Pass" on the detector, although it's not one of those toll both boxes. just a sticker.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Waiting for response from Land Rover. Don't think they like me because I have dared to question their product!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
have to travel south next week, and with 50-50 odds of it working, guess I get an externally mounted one. Can't believe RR could be so stupid to let that "AREA" have the heater wires in it still. Did they ever test it???with several different transponders etc??? or would that be too logical???

·
Registered
242 Posts
My Passport has been silent in my Evoque. (Heated windshield must be the culprit!)
I don't have the heated windsheild (2013 Evoque Pure Plus) just the solar coated one and the radar only works (poorly) behind the clear area near the rearview mirror. Any other place and forget about detection by the unit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wish me luck. It takes 3 days for an external mount to become active out of state so I'm stuck. I will try placing the transponder up on sunroof glass which , although tinted, has no heating elements. If this fails , I go external when i get home

·
Registered
64 Posts
the heating element doesn't go all the way to the edge. If you look at the edge of the windshield, near the A pillars- there are no elements there. However- there is the solar tint. I've tried it with my car wash EZ Pass- and it doesn't work. So- what attenuates the RF signal more. the solar tint or the heating elements?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts