Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
have read several posts and really appreciating the value of this forum.

I am new to RR but in love with the look of it. I am wrestling between a decision to buy an RR Evoque or Audi Q5.

My strong preference is RR but the reputation around reliability scares me. I've done a ton of online research and spoken to mechanics. There are mixed views out there but overall, it seems there is consensus that Range Rovers are improving, but that many many issue still exist.

Im sure the people participating in this forum love LR (and i dont blame you) but since only customers can speak to their real life experience, I would so appreciate if you could share that with me....have you had more problems then you think "are reasonable" for a car in this category? Is the Evoque worth the potential risk?
Anyone know the Audi Q5 and might comment on the comparison?

thank you!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2015 Evoque that I have had since 2017. I haven't had any issues besides some rattling and the sunglass holder until the turbo went out at 50,000 miles last year. My wife has a 2015 Q5 that she purchased a few months back and so far so good. It has this adaptive steering that is easier at slow speeds and stiffer at higher speeds. It seems to screw up sometimes and it is VERY hard to steer. It isn't repeatable and just doesn't do it often, so we haven't been able to diagnose it. While I do enjoy driving my Evoque, I expect the Q5 will have fewer problems. Land Rover is always near the bottom of all reliability ratings (usually only Fiat is lower). However there used to be a big gap between Land Rover and the next better manufacturer. It seems that Land Rover has at least caught up to the bottom now :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had my 2014 Evoque for five years now. I've had no major issues other than the recalled sunglass holder no longer holds my sunglasses....I know; meh, and the stop/start has really never worked despite having it looked at for four years. In truth, I don't care about either. Comparing it to the Q-5, I'd say the Evoque looks lighter, while most of the other CUV's in the same class look slab sided and heavy. I remember Jeremy Clarkson talking about the BMW equivalent, and he didn't rate it very highly. As far as reliability, Also no problems, although I only have 36K in five years. One thing to take with a grain of salt is that these forums tend to only show the negative stuff, and probably don't represent a huge sample of the vehicles sold. Most folks would ignore these sites unless they have something that is really irritating albeit justifiable to complain about. You can probably find such forums for as many vehicles are out there. Cheers, and good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2013 Evoque. The battery needed replacing and it gave off a whole bunch of error codes and problems but it was all attributed to a dying battery. I did have a secondary fuel pump replaced that was causing some problems. Overall, nothing that was catastrophic or constantly recurring that couldn’t be figured out. I haven’t thought of getting rid of the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It’s truly a great truck. It also handled really good which surprised me. Having had a M5, M3 and C63 alongside with the Evoque, the Evoque was still a blast to drive.

Rattles and squeaks and the differential needed replacing. Nothing crazy. I never had a check engine light or low coolant light. My start stop always worked but I always turned it off. Useless feature.

You can DIY many things and parts and labor is cheap if you look in the right places. You can also do a lot of cool upgrades check out powerfulukltd YouTube video they show a lot.

I traded mine in on the big body supercharged.

I’m looking to add a 2012 now as a winter truck that’s how much I loved and miss my Evoque.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Evoque had sudden power brake failure. That was enough for me to get rid of it. I'm thankful and fortunate that i didn’t get into a nasty accident as a result.

There will never be another Land Rover of any kind in my garage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2013 Evoque Pure Plus---in-tank fuel pump malfunctioned at 48,000 miles---$2000.00-------interior lights come on at will--whether I want them to or not.-------two plug i sockets in console quit working----other than that--nothing else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2013 Evoque Pure Plus---in-tank fuel pump malfunctioned at 48,000 miles---$2000.00-------interior lights come on at will--whether I want them to or not.-------two plug i sockets in console quit working----other than that--nothing else.
I had the same fuel pump issues. Can’t remember how much it cost. I think a lot of people get the weird random interior lights coming on by themselves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To: Future "would be" Ranger Rover Owners
2012 PURE purchased New in 2012. 47k miles to date.
items that failed: 1) Homelink and passenger lighted sunvisor simultaneously died . . . NO fix to date. 2) Exhaust manifold crack resulting in high gas consumption . . . Dealer replaced under Warranty. 3) Battery Died . . . DIY Fix. 4) Replaced Items: Brakes Worn . . . DIY Fix, New Tires.
> This vehicle seems to be fairly reliable . . . so far . . . as everything else works as expected. I'm expecting the Turbo to go next.
Note: I also own a 1998 P38 Range Rover 4.0SE . . . bought used in 1999 w/39k miles. It now has 195k miles. reliability is a joke when it comes to the P38. I've spent too too too many hours + $$$ keeping that thing alive over the years. For some reason I still like driving it with a few Gremlins still unsolved. Most P38's are in the junk yards and few seen on the road . . . but . . . I LIKE IT.
When the Evoque came out . . . I thought I'd get a more reliable Rover.
My suggestion is that if you are NOT a DIY, hands on guy . . . stay away from Range Rover . . . unless you are willing to spend $$$ and known . . . on a 1st name basis to the Tow truck drivers locally.
## LET THIS BE A WARNING ##
Hz:cool:

·
Registered
166 Posts
To: Future "would be" Ranger Rover Owners
2012 PURE purchased New in 2012. 47k miles to date.
items that failed: 1) Homelink and passenger lighted sunvisor simultaneously died . . . NO fix to date. 2) Exhaust manifold crack resulting in high gas consumption . . . Dealer replaced under Warranty. 3) Battery Died . . . DIY Fix. 4) Replaced Items: Brakes Worn . . . DIY Fix, New Tires.
> This vehicle seems to be fairly reliable . . . so far . . . as everything else works as expected. I'm expecting the Turbo to go next.
Note: I also own a 1998 P38 Range Rover 4.0SE . . . bought used in 1999 w/39k miles. It now has 195k miles. reliability is a joke when it comes to the P38. I've spent too too too many hours + $$$ keeping that thing alive over the years. For some reason I still like driving it with a few Gremlins still unsolved. Most P38's are in the junk yards and few seen on the road . . . but . . . I LIKE IT.
When the Evoque came out . . . I thought I'd get a more reliable Rover.
My suggestion is that if you are NOT a DIY, hands on guy . . . stay away from Range Rover . . . unless you are willing to spend $$$ and known . . . on a 1st name basis to the Tow truck drivers locally.
## LET THIS BE A WARNING ##
Hz:cool:
I know they can be separated, but the turbo is part of the exhaust manifold. So if the exhaust manifold cracked the part that was replaced was the entire turbo/manifold assembly. So you should get 35k-70k out of it. I think the exhaust manifold is by far the single weakest link on this vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve got a 2017 Evoque with 22,300 miles and just broke down due to a defective/broken exhaust manifold hose assembly. Fortunately it was covered under warranty. So I concur with it being a weak link.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2012 Evoque also had an Exhaust manifold crack about 2 years ago. My mileage was about 68K when it cracked.

My mechanic at the time insisted that Land Rover would cover/warranty the exhaust manifold crack. The mechanic even gave me a list of Warranties by the Federal Emmission Control System and Exhaust Manifold is on it saying it's covered/warrantied.

However, the warranty information sheet is tricky. It says something like "Land Rover offers an extended warranty for all things covered with an Asterick on the next page". We turned the page to see look for covered items with an asterick but deemed our manifold as not being covered.

Did we misinterpret the paperwork? Do you think we were covered for sure? We spent a pretty penny replacing it, you might imagine, and I'd love to go get my $ back!

Thanks for any advice. I really appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 evoque. had it since 2014. changed the battery after the transmission fault light came on. Have been battling the hood open light for years. I guess one day I will fix that. The gas tank cover shield rusted away. I changed the strap that holds the tank up. I haven't replaced the shield cover yet. You have to drop the drive shaft for that. I guess one day I'll find a reputable Range Rover shop. Do not go to a dealer if you are no longer under warranty. Two guys I know, told me they worked for RR as mechanics and they are a rip off. Find an independent shop

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I’m a little late to this thread but I’d like to chime in.

my 2017 Evoque is the best looking CUV on the road (imho). But I broke down and needed a exhaust manifold recently at 22,300 miles. But the absolute worst part of this car is the infotainment system. I hate that it takes a good minute before it becomes functional...is it just me or is this typical? Sometimes it just won’t get past the welcome screen and I have to actually re-start the car to get it to work. I started using the android car interface hoping it would help but it’s only brought about more frustrating issues. (is anyone else having this issue?). When using Google maps/directions, the Evoque screen will actually randomly revert back to the home screen and I need to re-enter the directions!

so in my opinion, the Evoque is a great looking car that does not live up to its potential and at its price point, it should be better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to share my saga of owning an Evoque. I bought a brand new 2015 Evoque in December 2020 and it was a nightmare in every sense. The troubles started 2 days after driving it off the lot. Check engine light came on with less than 80 miles on the clock. Took it into dealership and was told coolant level was low and they had discovered a leak. Replaced the radiator under warranty after a week in the shop to get a new one. Thankfully dealership gave us an LR2 as a loaner. After that the vehicle was flawless for about 6 months then all hell broke loose. Over the course of the next 12 months the vehicle was in the shop for a total of 6 MONTHS for numerous issues. Camshafts went out twice, another leaking radiator, turbocharger, intercooler, water pump, rear differential, dead infotainment system and cracked panoramic sunroof. During the course of this mess I do have to say that the dealership and Range Rover customer service were fantastic. After owning the vehicle for 18 months, of which as I said 6 months of which it was in the shop, the dealership bought it back from us.

Every time I see someone driving an Evoque i still think, “damn that’s a great looking vehicle “ then I feel sorry for the poor soul who is stuck driving/owning it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2012 and have had the turbo replaced at 50k miles and two front fenders due to the seam splitting, other than that i love this car i love it so much i bought a 2015 with autobiography trim level as well, the 2015 has had no issues. To me its hard to replace the sporty style and performance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts