Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I retired from the USN in Oct 2001 with 20 years service, was an Electrician Chief Petty Officer.

Then went to work for Denso Manufacturing in Athens TN as a Maintenance Team Leader, worked there 5 years, We made all kinds of Car parts.

Now I am a Senior Electronics tech for an Off Shore Drilling Company. I maintaine the PLC's, drilling controls, navigations systems, engine controls and anything else electronic. Currently drilling off the coast of Angola Africa, soon to be headed back to work the Gulf of Mexico.

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting to see all the diverse career fields. Dave how often do you get to actually be home and drive your evoque?

Evocurious that is pretty interesting. Do you work with zoo animals as well or mainly household pets?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Wow Dave, you've led quite an interesting career! Cool!
Thanks. I really loved the Navy, pay was not so good but the job was a blast.

In agreement. Very cool.
I do like the off shore drilling industry.

Interesting to see all the diverse career fields. Dave how often do you get to actually be home and drive your evoque?
While drilling off the coast of Angola Africa, I work a 28 day rotation, 28 on 28 off. The bad thing is all travel is my time, so it really like 32 gone and 24 home. When I am drilling in the Gulf of Mexico it is a 21 day rotation. Travel is much quicker, so I end up with 20 days off.

Pay is significanly better in Africa, 20% premium over my base due to the travel, poorer quality food, working with the ignorant Angolans and such. Also a huge tax insentive to work here, and tax my company pays to Angola for me to work here, counts as taxes I paid, so my tax on my income is about 1/3 what it is when I work in the US.

That said, I still like working US waters better.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm a veterinary surgeon. I perform surgeries on a referral basis, performing surgeries that most vets aren't trained to do or don't feel comfortable with, such as fracture repair, reconstructive surgery after major trauma or tumor removal, and neuro surgery.
Very interesting. I know I spent some big money on my Male Dane to have surgery on his rear leg when he severed the tendon in his upper thigh. It was worth it in the long run, he had 7 more good years, he was two when he did it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Interesting to see all the diverse career fields.Evocurious that is pretty interesting. Do you work with zoo animals as well or mainly household pets?
Mostly dogs and cats. I rarely do surgery on wild animals or zoo animals. I fixed a broken tibia (shin bone) on a fawn last year. I always wonder what happened to it... Im sure it would be weird if he was shot by a hunter who found the steel implants. I'd love to see the hunter's face!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Reactions: Rigo

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not quite sure what I do, but it sure seems to take all my time. Once and a while I work as a Construction Management consultant, but strictly for the money. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. I also womanize, drink, and I invented the question mark.
I believe chestnuts to be lazy.
I feel some sort of general malaise coming on, I must go.

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I work for a large Oil & Gas Company and my husband works in the off-shore/sub-sea industry. We do alright, I guess.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts